The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
It definitely pits up the mating pieces but I’ve never actually had a bearing fail that I accidentally done it to.

I did mess up a $2000 carbon fiber drive shaft on my pulling truck by grounding through the thin aluminum paper can that the fiber was wound on. That was a sad day.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Old cat mechanic said you could bugger clutches up in those cats when corking if you put the ground on the hitch. Lol

Any equipment first thing I do before welding is disconnect the the battery grounds. Doesn’t hurt to unplug any monitors as well. Long as your ground is at where you’re welding the chances of buggering up stuff is slim.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
can you damage a bearing if you are welding and ground goes thru it .
Only if it's a Chinese bearing and you ground it through the rubber tire.:wink:

But seriously would this be a "weld on the rim and ground to the frame" type scenario? My question is if you have a good ground to the part you are welding on current wouldn't travel around the machine through bearings? I know computers are a sensitive thing but I have a hard time believing enough current would indirectly go astray so to wreck a bearing...

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I know computers are a sensitive thing but I have a hard time believing enough current would indirectly go astray so to wreck a bearing...

This old myth comes up regularly. My ground is next to where I'm welding. I have yet to disconnect a battery on anything I'm welding on. I have yet to cause any damage other than the turkeyshit mess I generally make with the stick or torch. The electrons will take the shortest path available to them.

·
Registered
677 Posts
This old myth comes up regularly. My ground is next to where I'm welding. I have yet to disconnect a battery on anything I'm welding on. I have yet to cause any damage other than the turkeyshit mess I generally make with the stick or torch. The electrons will take the shortest path available to them.

This is exactly what to do, always think of where the current flow will go, never put the ground where current can flow through a bearing

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Whenever I am welding on a shaft or near a shaft where there is a chance of striking accidentally on the wrong piece, I hook a jumper cable from the shaft to the frame. One of Murphy's laws, a welding rod won't strike a clean piece of metal intentionally, but accidentally get too close to a painted pulley that isn't grounded and it will arc every time.

Reactions: hayday

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was welding a pintal hitch on my truck, the battery disconnect was turned off yet I completely fried the VHF radio!!
We had a Lincoln 225 stick welder that if you were welding outside you would "get bit" if you touched the work that the ground was hooked to. So even if the ground clam is hooked close to were you are welding it is possible some energy could pass to the earth and cause bearing damage.

When welding out doors I drive a rod in the earth and ground what I am welding.

Keep in mind that the single 14000 volts coming into your yard has the earth as its neutral and even though your 220 volt welding machine doesn't have a neutral the earth can still be part of the circuit and cause damage when welding even though the ground clamp is hooked close to the welding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks you everyone for the advice , I am modifying the packer wheels on my strip tiller and decided it was just as easy to remove them and weld them on the welding table.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I was welding a pintal hitch on my truck, the battery disconnect was turned off yet I completely fried the VHF radio!!
We had a Lincoln 225 stick welder that if you were welding outside you would "get bit" if you touched the work that the ground was hooked to. So even if the ground clam is hooked close to were you are welding it is possible some energy could pass to the earth and cause bearing damage.

When welding out doors I drive a rod in the earth and ground what I am welding.

Keep in mind that the single 14000 volts coming into your yard has the earth as its neutral and even though your 220 volt welding machine doesn't have a neutral the earth can still be part of the circuit and cause damage when welding even though the ground clamp is hooked close to the welding.
Might be time to check your grounds inside the welder. I burned off a ground inside a Forney and killed a pig welding in the barn. Good thing I was holding the metal with rubber gloves and wearing rubber boots.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Thanks you everyone for the advice , I am modifying the packer wheels on my strip tiller and decided it was just as easy to remove them and weld them on the welding table.
When we welded steel caps on our packer wheels, we did it on the machine. Just grind a clean spot and keep moving the ground clamp to the wheel you are working on and you won't have any problems. Just don't hook your ground to an axle or anywhere you have to draw the current through a bearing.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Many years ago when I was younger and dumber I had a tractor and planter in the shop welding on planter, old tractor just using it to move planter around no electronics disconnected battery anyway. Ground to tractor because it was easier, welding on planter and a big boom happens, blew a hydraulic hose that was hooked to the tractor clean off the end. Guessing it was poor ground through drawbar and was grounding through hose/oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts