The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a bracket that holds the muffler/exhaust stack on our r62. It bolts in two places to the exhaust manifold and rests on it in a third. Bolts are frozen, won't move. The bracket is cracked.

Can I weld this crack with the bracket on the motor, or do I risk ECM damage, etc.? I have welded on other places on the combine before with no issues, and the motor area is grounded to the combine.

Thoughts?

OH BTW start cutting in next day or two....

OKFarmer

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you can connect the ground as close to the crack as possible you should be OK. Current flows from the ground to the electrode so the shorter the path the better.

Jason

·
Registered
306 Posts
I believe it is smart to disconnect the grounds anytime you weld on any piece of equipment that has or is hooked up to anything that has electrical equipment, even if it is just an alternator. Anyone disagree?

·
Registered
3 Posts
okfarmer,

I have owned a welding shop since 1992. As said in another post, place the ground as close to the crack as possible. Make sure you have good contact (through paint, rust, grease etc) using a clamp or vice grips or whatever to make the contact, then attach the ground cable to the clamp.
If the crack is complete (a break instead) be sure to put the ground on the base part that is anchored best to the machine, not the broken piece. Then be sure when you strike the arc, you strike on the piece with the ground clamp and carry the arc over to the broken piece.
As for the battery and electronics, I always disconnect the battery and allow the system to de-energize for at least 1/2 an hour (some systems hold a charge for a long time) and as an extra precaution due to computers, ground the entire machine using vice grips to avoid static charges, use a piece of wire and connect to a water pipe, conduit or even a round mouth shovel stuck in the ground.
I have welded on machines safely for years. Just follow the steps to ensure no stray voltage. Electricity always takes the path of least resistance. The more direct, the better.
Good luck. You'll be fine!
Jamie

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK,
One more thing, did you want the studs out or prefer not? Maybe later when more time? If so, do you have access for using a torch safely in the stud area to heat the studs cherry red, then quench with cold water? Once, sometimes twice and those studs should come right out!
Always an option!
Hope all goes well.
Jamie

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Jamie,

Thanks a lot!!! You sound like a man with MUCH wisdom and expertise!

I'll take your advice and let you know what we find out.

Thanks Again,

OKFarmer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts