The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in New Mexio interning with an oil company but took advantage of the previous three day Memorial weekend and headed back into Texas to help my dad harvest.

We have 700 acres to cut and as of today are about halfway through. We don't have any hired hands so my dad has been cutting and hauling the grain by himself. Dad bought his first grain cart this season. It has been a lifesaver.

We had the best yields around with two dryland fields (260 acres) averaging 57 bu/acre. These fields were no-tilled into last years previous wheat stubble. The averages around the area were 20-25 bu/acre dryland.

As expected the 7720 ran like a champ again (so far). I would take the 7720 turbo over over the 9000 series anyday for a our operation. I love that machine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Nice pics!! I am just wondering you said you direct seed into standing wheat stublle. Do you have any trouble with the straw, I see your combine only has spreaders. We try to direct seed as well but straw and chaff management is very crucial or we cant get through it with the drill. Do you harrow before seeding or does your straw break down by the time it can be seeded?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Nice pics!! I am just wondering you said you direct seed into standing wheat stublle. Do you have any trouble with the straw, I see your combine only has spreaders. We try to direct seed as well but straw and chaff management is very crucial or we cant get through it with the drill. Do you harrow before seeding or does your straw break down by the time it can be seeded?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments.

Nice turbo yourself Zac.

This was the first time we had tried sowing into previous stubble. We use a 30' Great Plains Min-till, double disc drill. It does look there is no way that a box drill would go through all the straw but by the time December rolls around the straw is plenty briddle. I think also due to the fact that we usally have a very wet September/October, which helps is break down. We don't harrow any of it. Just spray two or three times. We are looking at installing a straw chopper on it next year since we plan on farming this way for a little while.

The disc are also staggered on the drill which I think is big in order to do no-till.

What type of drill do you have steigerman?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey Shane, nice pics!

Where are you at?

I'm southwest of Lubbock.
We started cutting Saturday but shut down around noon today due to green wheat. All we've cut got so far is dryland and making less then 20 bpa.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I'm just northeast of San Angelo.

You need to post some more pics once you get into the irrigated stuff. I noticed the pivot in the background. Are you cutting on the outside of the circle in that pic?

What kind of drill do you have?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ahh thats why your Wheat looks so good!! It didnt do as well over here in The West texas panhandle and Eastern New Mexico. Hope i can get some Pics of the 9500 Cuttin this year hopefully!

Again great pics!!!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Here in Colorado the wheat is just heading out and about 4" tall. Its been cool and dry here, the darn wind seems to blow every day, kind of unusual how much wind this year. We usually have hay cut and baled by now, some will start around the first of June, two weeks late.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Nice pics.
We owned 4 different 7720's before trading the last one for an 8820 T2.
The 7720's were fine machines that could handle a 220 flexhead in soybeans quite easily but they were a little underpowered for the 8 row cornhead.
We'd remove the muffler and turn the "smoke screw" to give them more power and then they had a nice "bark" too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not a propane tank. It's a fuel tank mounted on an old pick-up chassis.

Cliffcutter, I'd imagine the straight pipe sounds wicked. Our 7720 purrs like a kitten. When it's idled all the way back you can hardly hear it. I don't understand why all the CAT boys always downplay the Deere engines. We have (had) lots of late 80s and early 90s tractors and they always had great engines with little problems and over 9000 hrs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That wheat was planted as a cover crop, to be killed and planted into cotton. The strips is where the cotton would have been planted. It rained 5" one night just days after it was planted. Then no more rain until just last month. We watered it twice just to keep it alive in March and April.
My boss had this land rented out but it was turned back right before Christmas. So now we are farming it and 9 other circles.
The former tennant planted it on 40" rows with the intend of planting cotton on it.
We are on 36" rows and would have had to plow it up if we wanted to plant it. ( we are now since the wheat's been cut)

We run a Tye 36' drill for planting the strip til ground. Then we have 2 GP drills for solid wheat and have a new 36' GP for strip til planting.

Look at my pics on the link below or in my profile.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice pics! Looks like the 7720 still has a lot of years of life left in her. What motor do you have in the yellow Chevy truck to handle the trailer behind it? I have a similar C60 with a 350 that struggles to get out of the field with 300 bushels on. Looks like you must be packing about 500 bushels with everything filled up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It has an 8.2 L Detroit. Also runs perfect. Has airbrakes and a 5-2 tranny. We've been hauling 40 thousand lbs of wheat combined on the truck and trailer. Bushel weight is 66 lbs.

We bought truck last fall from a guy that installed insulation in houses. Below are pics of the conversion. The bed that is on the truck now came off an old Ford grain truck. We cut the cab off and put a goosneck on and ran it like that for about eight years. Now the bed is painted and on the Chevy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looks like you did a lot of work but it was worth it. I notice there's quite a bit of overhang of the box behind the back axle. I have another old Chevy truck with about the same setup. I can't fill the box because I get too much weight on the back axle and very little on the front axle. The highway traffic board cops get real excited because even if the total weight of the truck is legal there'll be too much on the rear axle, resulting in a hefty fine. Do they bug you down there for this? I can see with that 8.2 you shouldn't be lacking power. Good luck with the rest of your harvest.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dutch, you're harvesting the cover crop? Wow, i've never seen that done before. I wonder if that can be done effectively and still planted. Being under a pivot, you wouldn't be hurting for water. What combine are you running there?

·
Registered
175 Posts
[/quote]

Dutch, you're harvesting the cover crop? Wow, i've never seen that done before. I wonder if that can be done effectively and still planted. Being under a pivot, you wouldn't be hurting for water. What combine are you running there?[/quote]

It was leased out land that was turned back to us after it was planted. it was the wrong row spacing for us. No it did not get watered much.
Combine is a 9660STS I think.

It's a custom harvesting crew.

As far as harvesting cover crop, its done quite a bit around here.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah that was our only concern when we were putting the bed on. The wheel base is about a foot short of what it should be to accomadate the 16ft bed. It would have been too time consuming and almost impossible to lengthen the frame due to the airbrake linkage and etc. We do load ours heavy to the front also. We don't have a problem with cops. In fact, I never hear of anyone having problems around here

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.