The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wet or Dry-boom, what is everyone's preference?

I've always ran wet-boom rigs and have been very happy with them. But my "new to me" sprayer is a dry-boom unit. I look at all of those little hoses and connections and think it has the potential to leak like a sieve, especially when it is old and weathered. I need to replace some of the nozzle bodies on it and I am wondering if this is the time to convert it over to a wet-boom system?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a dry boom and they work very well. You just got to make sure that you rinse the boom really good, because of all the spots chemical can get trapped. You also get a little more pressure drop because of the extra connections. I plan on upgrading my boom some day to a wet boom though, they are much more simple.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a Dryboom body. rubber hoses are the connection between nozzles.

And this is a Wetboom body. It clamps around and is fed by a common PVC, Aluminum, or Stainless steel pipe.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thats right those are the fittings. A wet boom has a rigid pipe usually stainless, with holes in it for the fittings spaced every 15-30 inches. A dry boom is fittings with flexible hoses connecting to each fitting. I don't know how the terminalogy originated. The wet boom (rigid pipe) is easier to keep clean, since there is less of a possiblity of chemicals getting trapped in the system. Most new sprayers are wet boom. Stay away from aluminum pipe it tends to react with chemicals easily and oxidize. I had a George White sprayer once with an aluminum boom. After a while the **** thing would always plug nozzles.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I guess some old sprayer had the pipe integrated into the boom, hence "wet boom", and the ones with the hose separate were "dry" since they were just a boom to suspend something.

I like the logic of the wetboom more, although I imagine it's harder to widen out nozzle spacing on it.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
This is a Dryboom body. rubber hoses are the connection between nozzles.

And this is a Wetboom body. It clamps around and is fed by a common PVC, Aluminum, or Stainless steel pipe.

What happened to the days on only having 1 nozzle instead of 5 now LOL

we have a older flexi coil system 62 (i think 62 could be wrong) and we have what you call the wet boom set up no problems with them just if it cold at night pull a nozzle off the ends of course to drain the water we didn't and it pretty much shattered the whole PVC pipe But low and behold Case had the exact piece we needed length and the holes all in the right spot ;)

i've never used the dry body set but it looks kinds crappy cause the way i see it the hoses would sag down after time and have a bit if a dip in it and hold chemicals inside there holding Glyphosate when your trying to spray your wheat with thumper.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a wet boom on my Patriot and am converting it to a dry boom. The holes in the stainless pipe are becoming elongated from wear. This results in the o-rings that seal the nozzle to the pipe not lasting more than a day or two. I am changing o-rings and taking a chemical shower all the time. My neighbors have a dry boom with the same hoses for over 11 years.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have a wet boom on my Patriot and am converting it to a dry boom. The holes in the stainless pipe are becoming elongated from wear. This results in the o-rings that seal the nozzle to the pipe not lasting more than a day or two. I am changing o-rings and taking a chemical shower all the time. My neighbors have a dry boom with the same hoses for over 11 years.
Holy crap:eek:, how many billions of gallons went through those pipes to show wear on a stainless pipe? I've replaced all hose leading up to the pipes before, but have never seen wear on the pipe. Could your pipe be aluminum? I have no experience with aluminum pipes, but could see them possibly wearing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
typically wet boom and dry boom use the same nozzle holder and can be converted from wet to dry just by getting the hose barb piece. I would prefer dry vs wet easier to swap out sections with minimal parts and hose is cheap and lasts very well. And addition of accesories like fenceline tips and adding more sections is easier with dry booms.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We have had a sprayer with wet boom and we have had one with dry. Cant really say one is better than the other. Just different

1 - 15 of 15 Posts