The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the toughest canola anybody has put in bags and how long did u leave it before picking up?
We've bagged a lot of tough grain but it's always been cereal crops. Never put canola in bags before we always set aside bin space. Combined lots of very tough canola too but it usually goes straight into the dryer. Now we have canola left that's testing 18-20 average that's been down over a month and won't cure or dry which I think is mainly due to the lack of any kind of decent weather. We are chewing away at it but only enough to keep the dryer going. At this rate we will never finish so thinking about combining the rest and putting it in bags and then cleaning them up as needed to dry. Don't have enough air bins and power in the yard to go the bin route. Will it keep a few weeks or will it be a wreck ?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
We put some really wet stuff in bags at almost freezing and it kept getting colder and it kept fine. Seal the ends up right away because of it starts heating it will be there. The trick really is the cold temp.

Then you prob them once a week while you catch up drying. Or at least till you see the temp dropping.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I’m wondering the same . We have a **** ton of canola left and it keeps pissing rain and snowing . I want to take as much off as possible and just bag it . Dry it later as the dryer can’t keep up .... over 14 % canola it may have to send it through twice . Hopefully some more guys can chime in on this topic .....

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
10.5 canola this time of year is no problem. Going in the bin cooler. Just keep an eye on it for the next couple weeks. In the middle of winter when it's good and cold out, put a load on a couple of trucks and leave it for a day or two before putting it back in, get it ice cold. Putting it in a bin at 10.5 when it's 30 degrees is a different story! Assuming you mean bins without air?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Really shouldn't be a problem at these temps. A lot of green seed can change that though so need to stay on top of it. Don't just slam it in there and forget about it!

·
Registered
274 Posts
10.5,is no sweat . It will keep . I’d turn the bin in a few weeks to make sure and get it hauled out before the summer heat hits the bin

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've seen canola combined so wet that the outside 12" or so froze solid in the bag, had to be chipped apart by hand to get it to flow through the extractor. Can't remember what it was testing. You'll be fine if it's not warm going in, especially if it's only a few weeks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Holy **** that’s wet marusko lol ..... well we started bagging today it was about 14.5 .... nobody took a test that’s what it was yesterday. Started raining about 5:30 and shut us down again . I’m afraid that 14-15% moisture might be a dream now ( canola) . I guess we will get the few bins of canola dryed up in the next couple days and prepare for some real wet canola

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes it was. Was a nightmare combining it too - plugged concaves and tailings every round. Scraping it off the sides of truck boxes. Water dripping out of hopper bins. But at least we didn't have to do it in the spring. Good luck, hope you get it all in.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What area Alberta you from Mariano? Our canola is off the charts moisture wise. Greens at 15. Was 40 a week ago. It’s shatter resistant but worried about the frost forecast Month ago and swathed it. Not sure if that was right decision or not. Looking like it may have to be out the winter..... looking like the warm trip south needs to be canceled. Hope wife got insurance for that!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Mine canola is off the charts big time here as well. Got some the needle won't even think of moving at 100. It is in a bag. Dryer is backed up still and am hoping to get it to the dryer soon but combining needs to happen here too when possible. Ran 3 bins of canola through the dryer at 1 hr a batch. Still testing 11.5-12.8. Those have to be run through one more time yet. This yr canola just wont dry easy. People everywhere here said 2 times is best after its sits a bit after first time. Steam is flying when drying first time that is for sure. 165 is what I dry at always for canola. Falling numbers in wheat are terrible I hear this yr. I wonder if some of that isn't from drying to hot. 175 is what I do my wheat at but never took a sample in. I just assume its feed as everyone else says theirs is around here.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
In 12 years of drying canola with a GSI I’ve never put any through twice. Well unless I totally screwed the pootch on settings.

Usually always use dual temp setting. First 25min 190-210. Rest of the time 175.

As to falling numbers pretty sure that’s sprouting. Have always dried at 190-195 and it’s never been an issue.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What area Alberta you from Mariano? Our canola is off the charts moisture wise. Greens at 15. Was 40 a week ago. It’s shatter resistant but worried about the frost forecast Month ago and swathed it. Not sure if that was right decision or not. Looking like it may have to be out the winter..... looking like the warm trip south needs to be canceled. Hope wife got insurance for that!
You talking to me? north of Edmonton - I should say that my story of frozen canola comes from 2016. This year we decided early on not to wait for dry grain. Pushed hard in the windows we had and dried a lot and are done the canola now. Still some out there in my area. Guys were going on Monday, not looking good now for what's left.

Good luck. Hope you get a break. 2016 we did a lot of canola in November, wish I could remember what it was testing, though we probably didn't even bother testing it! Too bad about the greens in yours but it combines OK when it's frozen, at night, so I wouldn't count yourself out yet. IMO it's better to combine frozen in early winter if you can, than to combine canola + a companion crop of feces and mice carcasses in the spring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do you combine frozen canola without plugging sieves with frost? We have already had to shutdown early at night due to frost plugging sieves? (The crop was going through the combine nicely though)

·
Registered
457 Posts
How do you combine frozen canola without plugging sieves with frost? We have already had to shutdown early at night due to frost plugging sieves? (The crop was going through the combine nicely though)
Clean the sieves really good and spray them with dry graphite lube.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes I was talking to you. I agree on doing before spring, will try our best. Got wheat done last night, raised to get done as it was sprinkling every half hour and was wondering why sieve monitor wasn’t showing any throw over but I knew there was more than ideal. Anyway It was real frosty last couple hours and when greasing this morning found the sieve monitor pan had 1/4” of gunk Matt on it and sieves were half plugged on both sides were returns dump. ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
we had a high powered portable air compressor in the field to blow concaves clean every couple rounds, it's way better than picking it clean with a hand tool. I don't think sieves were an issue but could be, we would have blown them clean too.

Yes I was talking to you. I agree on doing before spring, will try our best. Got wheat done last night, raised to get done as it was sprinkling every half hour and was wondering why sieve monitor wasn’t showing any throw over but I knew there was more than ideal. Anyway It was real frosty last couple hours and when greasing this morning found the sieve monitor pan had 1/4” of gunk Matt on it and sieves were half plugged on both sides were returns dump. ?
Shitty!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts