The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to put some hay into a crop rotation- are you able to get a cut in your first year- I’m not a cattle man- what is a good mixture for seed-thks

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I always buy straight seed and then mix my own to suit the requirements. Was never a fan of the premixes.
I have a small vertical mixer I use specifically for grass due to the chemicals in the treatment.

As for getting a crop the first year, alfalfa seeded on the early side with decent moisture and no nurse crop it can be done, no screaming **** but def worth cutting and baling provided the stars aligned lol.
Grasses don't produce till second year.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I do the same as ABbuck, buy straight seed and make my own blend. Been going with 70 alfalfa, 25 brome, and 5 timothy. Been pretty good for me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Would like to put some hay into a crop rotation- are you able to get a cut in your first year- I’m not a cattle man- what is a good mixture for seed-thks
You're probably going to want tap root alfalfa and smooth brome. Maybe 6 lbs alfalfa and 3 or 4 lbs brome. If you have wet ground or wet spots mix in up to a pound of Timothy. A good way to blend is to get it custom blended with granular phosphate fertilizer at your fertilizer dealer.

@albertabuck
"provided the stars aligned lol."
Haha, we put in a little over a hundred acres this year and cut it a just over a week ago. Well it wasn't the stars that aligned, it was the rain clouds. :(

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
As the guys have said, wetter ground some Timothy is nice. Italian rye can yield in the first year, but will peter out in a couple years.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I seed straight alfalfa at 14lbs/ac. Smooth brome is a weed here and comes back on its own and takes over eventually. The advantage to having some grass is the cut hay dries faster. I used to add timothy but stopped.
We only get one cut here and never in the establishment year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts