The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, I think I'm pretty diversified for a little guy, that's supposed to spread your risks, right?

I grow hay for feed and sale, wheat, corn for silage, grain, and sale, soybeans, and raise beef cattle. My year:

Wheat ~ so dry last fall that it didn't germinate well. I'm also partly at fault as I did not burn down the field preplant as I should have. Got over run with grass, total loss, crop insurance payment at 70%

Hay ~ I was able to put up exactly 2400 small squares with little to no rain, and exactly 85 4x5 rounds with no rain stored in side. The rest received plenty of rain, some of it is baled almost black. It will give the beef cattle something to pull out on the ground this winter, but haying was a disaster. My no-rain hay I did get up was so late cut it is coarse and stemmy, not wanted as first choice by many. But given what everyone around here went through, it will probably sell. I was able to cut 1 17 acre field of second cutting. I put the last 5 acres of brown alfalfa through the chopper to clean up the field on October 4th. Haying on OCTOBER 4TH!!!

Corn and beans. Maturity is at least 3 weeks behind around here. The corn belt has a record yield driving prices way down, but at least they will have a LOT of it, not so 'round here.

Finally got my "new" chopper fixed....I thought. Still broken, finally found the root cause. Found the root cause chopping the first load of corn on Saturday, and the only load so far. Stuck 4 times in 1 load, 2 for the chopper and tractor, and 2 for the hauling tractor trying to get the load out. Probably close to $700 more in repairs coming this week. But that's OK, because it started raining Sunday night and hasn't stopped yet.

1/2 my beans are in a field I probably won't get on until the ground is frozen hard. I'm not sure the deer will have left me much by then. The other 1/2 the field drains well, but they aren't ready yet. How many in MI have successfully rotated beans to wheat this year? Surely you desicated your beans to do so.... And the price of these is way down too.

Grain corn, we were lucky with frost coming late. It did mature, yields will be below average. Will be waiting for frozen ground for about 1/2 the acres here as well.

The one bright spot would be beef prices.....But....Between an IRS audit 3 years ago where we showed a larger profit by selling a few extra head, and 2013 losing 30% calving, my numbers are way down to sell. Good money for what I have, but don't have enough.

Well, thanks for listnening. Hopefully I'll live to farm another year, but holy crap, I'm in a pickle. Guess I'm not so freakin' smart after all.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Sounds like a year in Humboldt Sask.

Hay was crap. Most guys' peas were a Writeoff. Wheat was either diseased or frozen. Canola didn't yield much. Barley didn't make malt.

You're not alone!

Btw last spring we spent a week in your wonderful state... want to go back there for vacation time. Lots to explore.

How far from Holland Mi. Are you?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Chris, MI can be wonderful, and it can kick your butt. Many beautiful things to see though. I'm a long way from Holland, diagonally across the state. I've actually never been there. Close, but not quite there. Had a roommate in college from there though.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Last year they said,

"You will never see another year like it"

This year....

"Last year sucked, but this year was worse".

Tells you, if you say it.. Mother nature can hear it, so just be greatful the sun came up... And Yellowstone didn't explode.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
And Yellowstone didn't explode.
Lol:D

I guess misery loves company, I feel for all your troubles.

I'm in a irrigated project in the high desert of Oregon, we normally get allotted 4 acre feet of water, this year we got 1.7 acre feet and the dam is bone dry this fall. Water was shut off in August and its just a dust bowl around here. Really hope we have a good winter with some snow this year.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Been one oddball year that's for sure. Too much rain during the first part of the year, got nice for a bit, then more rain, and so far its been nice again.

I think this would have been the year to do baleage or haylage, only had 1 month of good hay weather around here. First cutting was done quite late, about 2/3 one field was all stems by time it got cut. We normaly get 3 cuttings in per year, this year that 2/3 that was late for first cutting only got cut twice. The small field that gets worked up this fall got its third cutting baled on the 10th and 11th this month.

Yields are down here also, got a frost Sept. 13th that beat stuff up pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Two years ago I took a trip to Texas and a trip to British Columbia in the same year. The beautiful land in |South Texas got blew out by a hurricane and was a disaster. I talked to a lot of guys who wondered what their next move was. |Fast Forward to BC. Talked to Fruit Growers all over the Okanogan who were virtually giving their peaches and cherries away at record low prices. Tbone you are in good company. All of us ,even the ones with the new iron and new farms from the record prices the last few years are at the whim of the weather and the markets. Real good farmers who excel at everything are scarce but many mistake their good fortune for good management. Hopefully you can make your commitments and try again. Some geographical areas are tougher than others to do well in and even then its always changing. The Canadian Prairies look backwards as to rainfall the last few years as some areas which have never had too much water since I was a kid have been flooded out 3 out of the last 5 years and vice versa. Hang in their man. It has it's own rewards in the end , and it's always darkest just before the dawn.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
And ya its been an intense year in Eastern Manitoba. Seedbeds dried out and crusted , crops got flooded as seedlings , canola gone again, dried out again and got way too dry, froze early (but not hard thank God. then we had the harvest with no dry grain. We have been harvesting since late july and have only had two or three multi day runs uninterrupted by rain and have thrashed almost nothing dry until the soybeans the last few days. And it aint over yet!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
One of the nice things about this site is , when you think you have it bad or these things can only happen to me, you see you're not alone. This whole year has been a struggle right from the time we dragged our drill out of the snowbank in early May (I'm not kidding!!!) we have everything thrown at us. The only thing we didn't get was hail but was actually hoping to get because the crops were so bad. Almost all the crop we got off needs dried, guess thats maybe a good thing the yields sucked, have grain starting to heat and have been fighting with our propane supplier for the last 6 weeks because of the new regs. in Manitoba. Had goose damage on 20 acres of canola, yes canola!!! even the adjuster hadn't seen that one then the last field of barley had some of it a 100% goose damage. Thank god we only have one quarter of oats to go!!! Will be so glad when it snows so this year can come to an end. Goodluck to you all who are worse off, hope next year is better.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Wheat ~ so dry last fall that it didn't germinate well. I'm also partly at fault as I did not burn down the field preplant as I should have. Got over run with grass, total loss, crop insurance payment at 70%
You can get insurance for that? Life ain`t all bad then!:)

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can get insurance for that? Life ain`t all bad then!:)
Revenue protection insurance yes. The spraying part, kind of being "my bad", well they really don't have a way to prove it one way or other, you agree to "good farming practice" or some wording to that effect. If the wheat had germinated good, it wouldn't have been so bad, but it really let the grass get started after tillage last fall. In any case, yeah, life ain't all bad, it's pretty messed up when a crop insurance field will be one of my better returns per acre!:eek:

Trust me guys, I know I'm not alone. Just wanted to vent and rant a little. It's just hard to believe that with 4 crops + cattle it's as crappy as it is.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just to make you feel better, we are only 35% complete and just got 3 days of rain totaling 3"... What wheat is left standing in the field is growing out of the head, Oats are down bad and beans under water... Corn is pure garbage and unlikely much gets harvested at all.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where are you dschill? Dude, I don't feel better because of someone else's misery, but I know what you're saying. Your situation sucks, man, I'm sorry!

·
Registered
527 Posts
We are in Northeastern Ontario Canada.... I appreciate your sympathy but I guess I'm the one who signed up to be a farmer. Gotta roll with the punches and just keep on keepin on. Other than the loss of a loved one I doubt there would be a more difficult grief for a farmer to endure than to watch a years or multi year efforts slipping through his fingers into the abyss. I have cattle and cash-crop, and to lose one or the other is equally difficult for me to choke back.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Revenue protection insurance yes. The spraying part, kind of being "my bad", well they really don't have a way to prove it one way or other, you agree to "good farming practice" or some wording to that effect. If the wheat had germinated good, it wouldn't have been so bad, but it really let the grass get started after tillage last fall. In any case, yeah, life ain't all bad, it's pretty messed up when a crop insurance field will be one of my better returns per acre!:eek:

Trust me guys, I know I'm not alone. Just wanted to vent and rant a little. It's just hard to believe that with 4 crops + cattle it's as crappy as it is.
Thx for explaining,Tbone. There is no income protection insurance over here.
We have Hail, Frost and Fire, but in this land of Drought and Flooding rain, would you believe there is no crop insurance for Drought or Flood.
Anyway, I feel your pain!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.