The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently applied for a different job and think they are low balling me on wages. I was just curious if some of you could comment on what you think I would be worth an hour. I grew up on a dairy farm, so I have been operating equipment since I was 10 years old. When I turned 16 I started helping another dairy farmer. They had 70 cows and 700 acres of ground. I did chores, hauled manure, helped with baling and chopping hay. When I was 20 I went to work for a 4000 acre grain farm. I planted crops, repaired machinery and semis, drove semi, helped with irrigation of crops, detassled seed corn, and helped with harvest. At the age of 28 I went to a Chevy dealership as a mechanic. I have been here 6 years now and haven't moved up to a tech spot yet. I am a GM certified technician. I have an associates degree in automotive technology. I probably have 500,000 miles of semi driving experience. I am a hard worker, dependable, honest, no run ins with the law, no tattoos or smoking. The job I applied for is for an excavating company. They are looking for someone to drive trucks, run equipment, and general labor. They do almost all of their own repairs. They want to pay me $15.50 an hour with insurance. $16.50 without insurance. If anyone could comment I would appreciate it. Sorry so long on post.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
A lot of starting wages for production (factory) and warehouse stuff around here is anywhere from $12 to $15, depending on the place, but mostly on the low end. A lot of jobs aren't paying what one might think they should be anymore. In my area anything over $20 is "high pay".

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not in your area but we can't find help period. Yes I don't think wages you are offered are enough.

·
Registered
445 Posts
At Regina they have billboards up looking for mechanics offering $40 an hour. Long way from where you are but people move everyday.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Young Guy like yourself, with your practical experience, should be on Minimum USD $20, including insurance.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
That seems low, the GM dealer is paying you more then that aren't they? What's shop rates down there?

·
Registered
179 Posts
When youre good and quick, you can make killing on flat rate at dealers up here.
Dodge dealership in high prairie, a friend of mine made over 300 hours on flat rate every month.
He started his own business now and is makin even more.Being independent as he is, he will do fine.
With tools van (gmc safari) he charges customers over $75.00 an hour. Which is on the low side up here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am paid hourly. Still running lube rack. Do almost everything except major engine and tranny work. So am not paid like the actual techs are. Thanks for the replies everyone. I thought with my work history, class A cdl, some mechanical skills that I was worth at least $17-18 an hour, but just wanted to see what others thought. Our shops hourly rate is $82 an hour.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your CDL,experience,and mechanics is worth close to 100,000.00 in North Dakota,and the cost of living isn't that much higher !!!
Young hard workers are making a fortune out here,but it's damm hard work..

·
Registered
69 Posts
We are always looking for good techs. Typically with experience we start out at $18 an hour, plus benefits. Higher level techs can get better than that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Put it this way the farm I work on pays $25/ hr good temporary help. Good guys are worth every penny and more

·
Registered
399 Posts
I gotta ask, why is it so hard to find help in Canada? I mean, it's always hard to find good help, but it sounds like it's way harder than down in the States....why is that?
Because there is far more jobs available then people to fill them in certain fields. Western Canada is very busy fueled by the oil and natural gas industry. So plants, refineries, pipelines, and so forth need to be built. But all the related industries are also busy...it's huge. Alberta has had the highest population growth the last few years in Canada due to the demand for workers. Now many are foreign workers to fill trade jobs and everything from landscapers, construction to the people at fast food restaurants. I've heard north dakota is going through the same shortage of labor issues.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts