The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a world full of politics and covid lets share some stuff we made that we feel proud of or feel others could do to make life easier or better. Sick of negativity and have been just as guilty as many to the point of needing to block out the media BS right now. No matter how big or small, many of us have did things or designed something that works well. I will share some of my stuff as time goes on with pics. Lots of stuff on this site already that impress me that I have seen. It keeps me somewhat sane lol. Please share!!

·
Super Moderator
3,926 Posts
In 1970 I had a Yamaha 250 that suffered terrible vibration in the passenger foot pegs and would break the footpeg/muffler supports.
Welded a support rod from the circle support up to the main frame on both sides.
Eliminated the breaking and cut foot peg vibration by probably 90%.
My first and as a result most memorable engineering effort.
Sorry, no pics.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Steel intermeshing really agressive deep conditioning rolls for the discbine. Cut drying time by days in poor weather.

30 bale hay wagon from scratch. 5th wheel steer, very short wheel base. Can easily turn around in its own length. Low and stable. With Suspension. Light Weight. It gets a lot of positive comments.

Quite an upgrade. went from 16 bales(if they would stay on), with automotive steering and longer wheelbase that needed a quarter mile to turn. Wood beams that liked to break.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Welded a hitch pin facing up on a piece of tube that slips onto the forks to scoop up hitches. Simple to build and never realized how much we would use it until we had it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steel intermeshing really agressive deep conditioning rolls for the discbine. Cut drying time by days in poor weather.

30 bale hay wagon from scratch. 5th wheel steer, very short wheel base. Can easily turn around in its own length. Low and stable. With Suspension. Light Weight. It gets a lot of positive comments.

Quite an upgrade. went from 16 bales(if they would stay on), with automotive steering and longer wheelbase that needed a quarter mile to turn. Wood beams that liked to break.
I could see that really kinking the stems good to dry quicker. Neighbor built a beautiful hay rack as well with a great jack set up for his hitch. Its a fifth wheel design too, with a big square truck jack with a hand crank. He has a lever which you simply push down on and it pulls the spring loaded pin for telescoping the stem to another hole closer to the ground to eliminate a bunch of cranking. then another lever to lift stem up after hooking back up. No time at all to unhook and hook to loader tractor. I never tried fiberglass work yet.

·
Registered
747 Posts
don't know if I should take all the credit,
build a lot of stuff together with my dad, he's usually the designer I'm the builder.
fixed a lot of equipment and build and remanned a lot of trailers/scales/hopper bins etc.
the projects that are most unique and time worthy are extending an airplane hanger, building our conveyall trailer and the next project will be building our pull type floater behind our track tractor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
don't know if I should take all the credit,
build a lot of stuff together with my dad, he's usually the designer I'm the builder.
fixed a lot of equipment and build and remanned a lot of trailers/scales/hopper bins etc.
the projects that are most unique and time worthy are extending an airplane hanger, building our conveyall trailer and the next project will be building our pull type floater behind our track tractor. View attachment 161439 View attachment 161440 View attachment 161441 View attachment 161442
Anymore pictures of how you did that conveyor?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My biggest build was a bale boiler. Can hold 2 bales if it is clean. I heat my house with 2200 feet of floor space on 2 levels with a an attached 1850 ft2 3 bay garage. My Moms house which is 1600 ft2 and her 2 bay garage thats 800 ft2. Been probably 8 yrs now. 1 flax bale every 36 hrs or 1 canary straw bale every 24. I have rads which I hook to it for aeration to dry. 2 bins with a 5hp fans on each and I can maintain 115F temp in the airstream easily. I have a grain dryer now but I still use this occasionally for drying if I get back logged. I would make it round next time from large fuel tanks or something similar, but I had a chance to buy a pile of 3/8" 4x8 sheets from a mine for $200 a piece. 18 sheets 1300 gallons holding capacity which holds a pile of reserve heat. 7'x 11' burn chamber with a water circulated door.
1607724947798.png
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I’m pleased with my geothermal heated livestock waterer. It’s a portable feed trough with a short air line for a water supply with a 1/8” office drilled in a cap on the end of the line. It just runs constantly and any overflow goes back into the sandy soil that the water keeps thawed out. It only takes a few days for the cattle to learn not to come all at once. Once in a while if they quit coming for water in a long snow storm I need to smash a bit of thin ice at the ends. The frame rail is bent down a bit on one side at the centre and it overflows at the fence side. It’s basically fool proof unless you lose power and the line freezes. A heat tape on the line would self cure a frozen line.

Ordinarily the nozzle is situated lower, and angled so it won’t splatter the cattle if the trough goes empty.

A017154C-E9A2-4BF4-BC0C-8BA6F72923BB.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
2018 I put a rebuilt motor in Dad’s old 3130 JD. He bought it new in the seventies and it had been used nearly ever day its whole life and it was annoying me looking at iher sitting beside the track where she stopped. The look on his face when I pulled up at his house, he didn’t smile much but he did that day. Miss the old bugger

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Keep them coming. I am enjoying these posts. I always like to see what the farmer's mind can come up with. I build very little. I just try to keep things going.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
Everyday we enjoy the house we built. Our masonary heater or fireplace heats our large house burning it once a day. It stores the heat in the mass of stones, firebricks, etc after the burn and radiates it into the house for the next 1-2 days. The smoke goes through the bench around the fireplace so it is always warm. If we are chilled we just sit on the bench for a while and we use the bench to dry our boots and wet winter cloths. For 10 minutes of work every day it provides a lot of comfort and money savings. I finally finished our cold room in the basement which we really have used a lot. I insulated the walls and ceiling. I have a 2 inch pipe bringing in fresh air from outside through the basement wall and a 3-4 inch vertical pipe from the ceiling of the room to the attic that continually vents air naturally. Both pipes are completley open and it seems to keep it cool and a perfect temperature in there all the time. We have heavily modified a lot of our equiptment to suit our needs. The performance of our Lexion 590s with the modifications is so much better than when we first started using them around 10 years ago. The hopper extensions, straw chopper and chaff spreader modifications to get it to spread the material evenly over 40ft, a tall knife welded at the back of the concave and knife on the dogs tongue on the impeller, sunny brook impeller, tm6 top sieve, rotor keystocks and many other little things have made these machines into very high capacity, low loss, and trouble free machines. Extending our Case 4420 sprayer tank to 1600 gallons years ago has saved us so much time, has had no down sides, and was well worth doing.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[/QUOTE]
I built the BBQ for a friend, it uses wood or LPG. The fire grate is a concave out of a MF 860.
The bale deck I built in 98, I rebuilt it a few years ago and mounted it on a GM 1 ton, I can't locate the pics of the rebuild.
Now that's a rotisserie!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyday we enjoy the house we built. Our masonary heater or fireplace heats our large house burning it once a day. It stores the heat in the mass of stones, firebricks, etc after the burn and radiates it into the house for the next 1-2 days. The smoke goes through the bench around the fireplace so it is always warm. If we are chilled we just sit on the bench for a while and we use the bench to dry our boots and wet winter cloths. For 10 minutes of work every day it provides a lot of comfort and money savings. I finally finished our cold room in the basement which we really have used a lot. I insulated the walls and ceiling. I have a 2 inch pipe bringing in fresh air from outside through the basement wall and a 3-4 inch vertical pipe from the ceiling of the room to the attic that continually vents air naturally. Both pipes are completley open and it seems to keep it cool and a perfect temperature in there all the time. We have heavily modified a lot of our equiptment to suit our needs. The performance of our Lexion 590s with the modifications is so much better than when we first started using them around 10 years ago. The hopper extensions, straw chopper and chaff spreader modifications to get it to spread the material evenly over 40ft, a tall knife welded at the back of the concave and knife on the dogs tongue on the impeller, sunny brook impeller, tm6 top sieve, rotor keystocks and many other little things have made these machines into very high capacity, low loss, and trouble free machines. Extending our Case 4420 sprayer tank to 1600 gallons years ago has saved us so much time, has had no down sides, and was well worth doing.
My boiler and my cement floor stores heat like your stones. It is a brilliant way of beating the carbon tax so far lol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nothing fancy. Built this mobile seed cleaner unit 10 years ago. Not the size you guys use out West. Cleaning wheat this day. Buggy bring wheat from bin to the wagon and clean grain into dump trucks. Plans as usual were a quick sketch on the back of a used envelope and took it from there. Seemed to have turned out ok as I have not made any modifications to it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts