The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
Doorkiller with the carbon tax it is sure nice to use wood or straw for heat. We end up keeping the house warmer than we would if we were running the furnace. It is nice to sit on the couch and feel the warmth radiating at you. Every morning your boots, gloves, etc are dry. Best of all it uses no power or fans to move the heat. If the power or stove quits you can use the bake oven built inside the fireplace. It was one of the things we built into the house that is too good to be true. If anyone is interested in something like this google massonary heater association and you will see many different versions of these fireplaces

·
Registered
327 Posts
Built a hitch on the back of our jd field cultivator that is still in good working condition today, it’s never bent or broke!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
l like old things. Those old pumps are wicked!! Nice fleet of pickups you have there as well.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
One thing I did that really helped during rice harvest was to put a JD brush from a cotton stripper on a JD 930 draper header and a 630 draper header. It keeps chaff and straw from getting under the draper belts. I did all of ours and most of our neighbors headers as well.

Attachments

·
Vendor
42 Posts
This year we rolled out (haha) a new cantilever design on our bi-fold door bottom roller. This further improves the sealing of the door and makes for easier installation.

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
Slipclutch I was finally able to load a picture of the fireplace tonight. I put it in last nights post several posts above this one. Seeing the carboard on the floor was a reminder when we finished inside of the house we would often stain our moldings in front of the fireplace so they dried fast. The fireplace draws a lot of fresh air into the house because the air for the burn comes from inside the house around the fireplace. It moves a lot more air through a house than a air to air heat exchanger with no electricity used

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
We bought a kit from a guy in Quebec that supplied us with all the doors and a lot of the internal guts. My dad who is a engineer drew up the steel trusses to support the 15,000 lb of weight. My wife and I welded up the steel trusses and installed them.. Some people build up cinder blocks from the basement floor to support this weight on the main floor. The steel trusses we made are the same profile as the wood trusses so once the basement ceiling is in you will never know or see what is supporting the weight. I hired a local father and son mason to put the guts together which took about 2 weeks. We collected a bunch of local field stones to face the guts with. It took my wife and I as well as the father and son mason another 2 weeks to put all the field stones around the fire place as well as the black slate. It works awesome and was well worth the effort. It is probably the lowest daily effort fireplace you will ever find. It burns a lot less wood each year than a normal fireplace because of the efficiency of storing all the heat in the stones and burning it once a day.. We have around r50 in most of our house walls and r60 in the attic which really works well with the fireplace especially in a larger house.

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
2018 I put a rebuilt motor in Dad’s old 3130 JD. He bought it new in the seventies and it had been used nearly ever day its whole life and it was annoying me looking at iher sitting beside the track where she stopped. The look on his face when I pulled up at his house, he didn’t smile much but he did that day. Miss the old bugger
Put new boots on dads W30 when he was in hospital on the last lap of the paddock. Was hoping to have taken him out to see the W30 on its feet again but the best I could do was show him a photo. Got the thumbs up from dad.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
It's been a while, but I think one of my biggest accomplishments was the wheel. Well.... that and fire.... I was pretty proud of those. x3 on the kids too... and the resulting 6 grandchildren... and yes, I've had those days, but I don't regret them...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It's been a while, but I think one of my biggest accomplishments was the wheel. Well.... that and fire.... I was pretty proud of those. x3 on the kids too... and the resulting 6 grandchildren... and yes, I've had those days, but I don't regret them...
I'm obviously not as old as you are, but to this day people are still comparing every good invention to one of mine. I am still quite proud of inventing sliced bread.

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
Allmasey did you fabricate the tank yourself or use a tank from another cart? Was it tough to connect up all the air lines, meters drives, and monitor system? It looks great.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts