The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . .and what damage would be done if it did? A gathering chain broke and came off the corn head on my 4420 with 443 corn head. Can't find it. . .but wondering what to check before I fire it back up. Guess that's a good enough scare to replace them before they get that bad.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I reckon you would have heard it if it went up the feederhouse and into the rock trap, and I definitely reckon you would have heard it if went thru the cylinder.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking, that I would have heard something nasty. I have combined a lot of oats over the years with some ancient combines, but I don't have very many hours running corn, and I'm still very busy "watching and learning and listening". So, I guess what I'm saying is, I was worried I missed it. I don't know all the good sounds yet. I did hear something sort of loud a few minutes before I noticed the row wasn't feeding, but it fed good during and after the noise, and it wasn't THAT nasty, just sounded like a bigger slug of corn. I'll be replacing the chains today, and have a look inside. Thank you both for the replies.

·
Registered
200 Posts
probably had a tensioner stuck causing a slack chain to climb up on the drive sprocket and then snap the chain and it fell off. the stalks usually will pull them down. it is pretty tough to pull them into the machine but it does happen. take a good look in the shoe supply auger pan too. i hope you find it three years from now dragging on a cultivator shank instead of tomorrow in the machine!

·
Registered
216 Posts
a buddy of mine had a 4400 that lost a feeder house chain and they never got it out. Just bought another 4400 and use the broke one for parts. It was a mess all balled up in the feeder
house.
DM01

1 - 7 of 7 Posts