The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a neighbors 04 Challenger 670/9790 MF for a secondary machine. I dug into it a bit to find some kind of rotor modification. Its a staggered 11" bar setup. And 2 of the very front rasp bars opposite of each other were cut off at the mounts as shown in the pics. I see a small triangle plate was welded on the bottom side of the existing front rasp bar mounts also. My neighbor said the previous owner did the mod so he knows nothing about it. According to him the machine combines really eats wheat. What kind of a mod is this? and where can I buy rasp bars? What setup did the factory combine have? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
11 inch bars look like st. Johns design..
Pfparts does a 6 inch bar..
Check your local dealers for rasp bars.. Case bars or even gleaner bars may work..
Be really happy you got this combine like that... You will really be able to push crop at it with little losses.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Rotor Bars

Our St John bars are 19 1/4" long with 18" coverage. These bars appear to be an elongated version of old style flat mount bars for Case IHC . These bars are rounded over on top like a rub bar where SJW bars have a nearly straight rise on the leading edge. I believe that Harvest Services at Craik, SK made a few rotors similar to your photos. I tried to attach a photo -- hope that worked

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
In the pics, it appears to me that someone may have been repairing the front element mount and forgot to finish the job. Only reason I can think of otherwise is that someone has installed a different set of infeed augers and moved the front element mounts around (think Case IH AFX rotor setup). I can't see any benefit to this at all, in fact, I see dead spots where inbound material won't move until it's forced by material coming in behind it. Has to cause a series of repeating slugs on the first 2 concave sections, if not even further back. Even worse if 3 infeed auger flights are still installed. We have a number of imitators, mostly in Canada, and it appears that they are quite imaginative in trying to get past our patent which specifically calls for rasp bars as opposed to the rub type bars installed on this rotor. Hope this all makes sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.