The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats what I was thinking but after looking on the web I found a few 1660 for around 30k and with around 3000hr and I also have found a rew 2166 and 2188 for low 60k with about the same hr so would I be better off to go with something like the 21

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, IMO, if you are going to expand within the next couple of years, or are going to get some custom work, it would be better to have the 2166 or 88. If not, the 1660 or 1680 would be better for you. I haven't looked at the 1660s yet, but there are a few good looking 1680s with less than 3000 hrs for around 35,000 on tractorhouse.com.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would really like 2 get more ground in a few years as I can land around me is all rented thats why I'm thinking of jumping at the land if I can. One thing I forgot to mention is I would be working a full time job along with farming. Can you give me any idea how much diff would the 2166-2188 be from the 1680 are they the same with Lil more power and nice cab or would they be much diff? Also what would be a good size head to run beans I have a few in my area but they all run 30 footers so would 20-25 be to small or would running a 25' at say 3.5-4.5 mph keep it full and allow it to run as it should?

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/det....0DF868032747513

This would be one I would look at if would be good for 600ac and up

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't really know the difference between the 1680 and the 2166. About 80% of the people in my area have JD equipment. I think the 1680 has more HP, but the 2188 definitely has more user friendly cab. I would say you could run a 25' head on a 2166 and be alright. I wouldn't go as low as a 20' though.

About the full time job. I know of a few people that do the same thing ( having a full time job and farming about 500 acres on the side). I'm going to try to do the same thing when I get done with college next year. It is so hard to get started right out of college unless you have a family with a big farm. My families farm isn't big enough for me to jump right in so I'm going to have to get a job while farming on my own until I can get big enough to merge with them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chuckm thanks for the offer but I cant not do anything at this point I wont know if I will be able to get the land till later this year maybe even next year. I'm just looking for info on what would be best for the amount of ground I want to cover.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Delta I know what you mean. I have been looking for a chance to get into farming around me and with out one of the older guys getting out it's almost impossible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am looking for some help on what combine would be good for me. I might have the chance to take over around 400-600 ac. I have no equipment on hand and would need to buy some. A combine would be a must as no one around here wants to do any custom work so my question is what IH. or CIH. would be a good combine for a young farmer to start with? I want to run 6 row corn in around 150 170 bpa dry land corn.

Also what is a good cost per ac to shoot 4 I was thinking around 10 per ac on the combine only is that to low or to high for some one just starting out?

Thanks for any thoughts

·
Registered
238 Posts
So, you are wanting to spend 40-60K on a combine? You can buy a dang good 1680 for 40K or you could also get a pretty good 1688 and still be in that price range. I would go with a 1680 if all I was going to cut was the 400-600 acres, but if you are able pick up another 500 or more acres of custom work, you could get a good 1688 or maybe even a good 2188.

·
Registered
120 Posts
2100 series combine is guaranteed to have the longer cleaning system. 1680 didn't get that until 1990.
2100 series is also highly compatible with a lot of the newer 2300/2500 parts.
If you don't plan on keeping the machine for more than a few years, 1680 will be fine. Otherwise it might be wise to move up to the 2166 just from a parts availability stand point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts