The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and looked at a New Holland TR86 tonite. First time I've looked at a New Holland. What do I look for in one of these. This one had 2500 hrs on it's meter. The engine was a Ford, (I didn't know they even had Ford engines in that late of a model), new rotor on the r/s, (it ate a rock last year), stress cracks in several shields, just a couple of missing shields by the fan. Everything else looked good. The cab seemed to be in good condition. It was dirty. It had some evidence of an oil leak on the motor. It had a 20 ft. head and 6 row corn. $22,000 for all. I guess they put in $13,000 for the rock damage. That number seems high to me, but I've never been around them. It has round bars in the concave. Would round bars in the concave be OK for wheat? Are they easy to change out? The salesman said it belonged to his brother, that he himself had run it quite a bit. It is at a Case IH dealership. Are they as good as a Red 1660? How do you compare? Any input would be appreciated. Feel free to email.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a TR 86 for 13 years with a 20 foot flex head for soybeans and a 6 row corn head. This was a great combine. I have moved up to a TR 99 with 8 row head and 25 foot flex head for soybeans. When I traded I had about 1850 engine hours. The ford engine was in my machine and it was a good one, I had no problems with it. I think it is a better machine than the 1660.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Theres a TR 86 up in Alberta here that there selling for $9000, its in ok shape but probably has 2800 rotor hrs. There was a TR96 that sold for $13k had a 30k rebuild on it over winter. Might be worth a drive to look at some sales.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We currently have a TR86 and I like it. It is our second machine. Our TR97 runs most all the corn and will run a good chunk of the beans this year since she pushes a 30' table. Just picked the TR97 up mid season last year. What a huge difference over the TR95 it replaced. Back to the TR86. I have the rotors and about everything else outta mine now due to a rock and plain wear. Great machines. Handles a 20' flex with no problems unless you hit 50+ bushel beans. Then horsepower is short. Most likely the oil leak is the pan gasket. Our TR97 and TR86 are both leaking a bit and have heard it is a somewhat common problem. Ask what all was replaced internally and get back with us. But for the price you almost can't go wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.