The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much talk that has been going around, Do you think Deere has pretty much taken over harvesting? I have read that 8010 owners have pretty much given up on Case, and alot of farmers are thinking about swiching colors, I do not belive this is a good thing, even though I love Deere and will always stick with them, I dont think its good to have Deere take over everything, but its seems like they are. I think have other combines out is good to keep them all on there feet, but with all the talk all other comebines seem to be losing out in the harvesting world. I hope case and other combine makers step up and show deere that they are still around. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I think Deere has an advantage right now, but as the sounds of it CAT is stepping up and trying to get some action. Gleaner is making a new combine or so is the rumor, Case still has it's tried and true 2388 and sells plenty I'm sure. New Holland also is adding to their lineup and is gaining momentum right now, but who knows. Deere will always have competition I'm sure but it's matter of the quality... my $.02 worth

Alex

·
Registered
71 Posts
I do believe right now Deere has a good thing going. As far as far as the overall picture is concerned anyway. However things like their cab, aside from the layout is still 15years old, their new flex heads have alot to be desired and they still lack capacity. From what i have seen from CNH and Cat, deere is not that far ahead really, CNH just brought their machines out too early. Their cabs are nice and the CR I drove flew past the sts in wheat. However, I would not buy anything but a john deere if nothing more than to have their dealer support. I have not had a bad experience with them yet. I agree with the previous post that they should have competition.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We found the 3 630 heads we used were too light and couldn't cut very good. At first deere came and took ou the wedge kit, which after that finally we could cut the beans without leaving half on the ground. After that we kept having the dura twin sections chip off the tips and eventually breaking. We would change as many as 12 a day and usually 1 guard. At the end of the year all our paltforms were bent. It left us wanting the old 930's from last year. I will say that deere has always had the better flex head but these need some more work. The thing I did like about them was the amount of flex they gave and the speed that you could cut at in tall soybeans. I'm sure they will straighten these out in the next year or two. We weren't the only ones with trouble. Another thing I will point out is deere's HUR system. I love it and would never go back especially in corn.

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too will always stick to my Green and yellow roots, but its good to see the other colors out there to analyize and reinforce my decision to run Green. Makes me feel good to see that my machines are holding together and holding value through the years better than any other.

·
Registered
23 Posts
around here 8010 owners including us have not given up on them .sure the first few years had teething problems but now with the updates done they do not miss a beat. the capacity and quality of sample is excellent,the cabin is so quiet and second to none. the simlicity of desigin with the cvt reversable rotor drive self leveling sieves and hardly a belt or chain on it, i think if anyone had a ride on one you would realize its a generation ahead. i have had green and all colors but one has to give credit where its due and not color.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Kit, does your 8010 also have automatic sieve adjustment--from inside the cab, the way the Lexions do? This was basically the last bastion of manual setting conquered by E/M technology. The newer Deere's have it, and I knew they would, as John Deere continues its cutting edge technology and marketing innovations.

I will discuss some aspects of Deere's combine technology and marketing later.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Hey, I am with you on the Lexions. They ARE impressive. I knew it would only be a short time before Deere caught up to the automatic sieve setting feature. The Lexions had it first, and that's been about 8 years ago. It was a season or two before the Lexions came to America.
I also believe there is a huge untapped potential for further automating the Lexion. I truly believe the "driverless" combine is just around the corner--maybe a lot closer than some think.

·
Registered
289 Posts
At first:
Alex, CAT is out of the AG market since 2002. They had all the chances to come out big in the nineties. They sponsored the Bi-rotor and could have had their own unique combine but dropped it. Instead they tied into Claas. But the Lexions didn't take of as expected, because it took Claas way to long to adapt to american conditions. I am speaking from experience here. When Case and NH merged they had the chance to buy into the AG market big time. Versatile was for sale and other factories and lines CNH had to drop. But CAT missed it again.

Deere has the most aggressive marketing and the densest dealer network. While JD is closing some gaps, Case, NH and AGCO have all lost dealerships over the last years.

In general everybody is trying to catch up with some feature of the competition instead of coming with something really different and new.
Right now the manufacturers chasing after the most gadgets and gismos in the cab and controls, making the machine ever more complicated, while the farming income is on the decline.
Wouldn't it be nice if someone would step up and make a very basic and simple combine without computers, long lasting and easy to service, operate and repair? I bet the cash straped farmers would jump on it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
All I can comment on is my local area, J.D. has lost market share in new combines, tractors and swathers. Masseys have started to show up in farmer's yards that have been green for years. I haven't seen any change in the Case farmer's yards around here other than swathers, lots of Massey and Hesstons where Cases were. Massey dealers around Regina say they are selling tons of utility tractors to people living on acreages(J.D. backyard). In this case the price seems to be the driving force, Massey has an economy priced utility tractor line. That is what is happening in central Sask.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Good for you, Shaulin. Personally, I've never had the chance to see any AFX 8010 up close and personal. Lots of talk here about them, but here, you're only the second one I've seen who actually owns one. I'd like to know more about these great machines, too. From what I gather, they are more like an Axial-Flow on steroids.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
So are you using one of the newer CHN 2200 series corn heads, or an older model? I've heard both good and bad about the 2200 series corn heads.

-Lance

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey RodBush, you got to be kidding me.....a CASE 1020 head better than a 900 series Deere Flex cutting the crop...yall must don't know how to set up a Deere combine or head since 1983, most farmers will tell ya,even tha farmers that run RED combines, who makes the best flex heads between the two. Now I like CaseIH combines, but I refuse to beleive that case heads are waaay ahead of Deere as you put it...give me a break....... lets be real now,this is fact. I'm not colorblind, I like CASES also. STSMAN P.S. I believe you would really like the new hydro-flex 600 heads, just make sure it is SET right...since you have not learned to set deere heads since 1983...ha,ha,ha.....just kidding. I hope ya have a good farming year in 2006 & have a Merry christmas RodBush.

·
Registered
693 Posts
sts man....

Weve run 1020's and 900 series..........I think there both junk!
Including the f30 lexion we are running now! Ok, they might not be junk, but they are no better than anything else.
This is in beans only....no wheat here.
40 year old technology with plastic mods all over........There has to be a better way........Though I can't find one yet

I see MacDon flex drapers poping up all over here. I might have to demo one next year.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
144 Posts
stsman...ya gotta be kidding me. I HAVE a JD930F and a 1020 mounted on 9650sts and 2388 repectively. Now, they're both 2 years old after this latest harvest season. You can call me half green and half red if ya want, but this is how it was for my farming operation. 1020 is hands down the best flex head over jd's 930f any day of the week. Keep in mind, that this is all in beans. Wheat they are both comparative. Also, keep in mind that this is all I have ran on my farm..1020s and 930fs. I will be trading in those heads this winter for new ones. I am leaning towards the 36ft draper heads. I also got to say that the poly skids are in better shape onthe 1020 than the 930f after 2 years of use with approximately 6k acres thru each header. Maybe in your case it worked out differently than in my case, but eitherway whatever works for ya.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts