The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you Guys like to see on the next MAJOR REDESIGN of Deere's New Generation Combine Harvester after STS???? Please name top 5 or 10 things you would like to see done. (My Picks)1.Front (Slide out) Bi-Rotor threshing system or a vastly new STS improved high capacity threshing & high wear system. 2. larger (very Big) cleaning & grain handling systems 3.atleast a 360bu. grain tank with electric folding extensions & auger design on the biggest combine,like the Claas Lexion has. 4. A TRUE ALL-NEW Superior CAB that is very quiet & Superior harvesting controls . 5. a Superior 40 ft auger,40ft Flex draper platforms & 16 row folding corn head with new knife type cutting, picking & chopping systems that are designed to cut and pick faster because of the gained combine harvest speed & capacity, so the combine will not be faster than the header can cut or pick the crop. 6. Way less Belts,Pulley and Chains. 7.New Transmission,faster road speed 8.(HMS type system)....like on the tractors..but for combines, if possible. 9.electric fold-away steps...like on 4930 sprayer, for muddy conditions. 10.Superior unloading speed. 5 to 6 Bu. per sec. Deere should call them (Superior Series)Bi-Rotor Combine or SSTS series if still a new STS type machine;D

·
Registered
894 Posts
Re: What do you want in the Next Gen. Deere combin

Quote:What would you Guys like to see on the next MAJOR REDESIGN of Deere's New Generation Combine Harvester after STS???? Please name top 5 or 10 things you would like to see done. (My Picks)1.Front (Slide out) Bi-Rotor threshing system or a vastly new STS improved high capacity threshing & high wear system. 2. larger (very Big) cleaning & grain handling systems 3.atleast a 360bu. grain tank with electric folding extensions on the biggest combine. 4. A TRUE ALL-NEW Superior CAB that is very quiet & Superior harvesting controls . 5. a Superior 40 ft auger,40ft Flex draper platforms & 16 row folding corn head with new knife type cutting, picking & chopping systems that are designed to cut and pick faster because of the gained combine harvest speed & capacity, so the combine will not be faster than the header can cut or pick the crop. 6. Way less Belts,Pulley and Chains. 7.New Transmission,faster road speed 8.(HMS type system)....like on the tractors..but for combines, if possible. 9.electric fold-away steps...like on 4930 sprayer, for muddy conditions. 10.Superior unloading speed. 5 to 6 Bu. per sec. Deere should call them (Superior Series)Bi-Rotor Combine or SSTS series;D

Sounds more like you're describing much of the features of a Lexion 590R or 595R. Go after one of those if you can't wait for Deere!

If Lexions already have most of the features you list and their prices (excepct maybe the class 9) are comparable, how much more are you going to be willing to pay to have all of that "me too" technology in a Deere? If so, why? It'll likely be no better that what is already on a Lexion, New Holland or CaseIH?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Quote:What would you Guys like to see on the next MAJOR REDESIGN of Deere's New Generation Combine Harvester after STS???? Please name top 5 or 10 things you would like to see done. (My Picks)1.Front (Slide out) Bi-Rotor threshing system or a vastly new STS improved high capacity threshing & high wear system. 2. larger (very Big) cleaning & grain handling systems 3.atleast a 360bu. grain tank with electric folding extensions on the biggest combine. 4. A TRUE ALL-NEW Superior CAB that is very quiet & Superior harvesting controls . 5. a Superior 40 ft auger,40ft Flex draper platforms & 16 row folding corn head with new knife type cutting, picking & chopping systems that are designed to cut and pick faster because of the gained combine harvest speed & capacity, so the combine will not be faster than the header can cut or pick the crop. 6. Way less Belts,Pulley and Chains. 7.New Transmission,faster road speed 8.(HMS type system)....like on the tractors..but for combines, if possible. 9.electric fold-away steps...like on 4930 sprayer, for muddy conditions. 10.Superior unloading speed. 5 to 6 Bu. per sec. Deere should call them (Superior Series)Bi-Rotor Combine or SSTS series;D

Sounds more like you're describing much of the features of a Lexion 590R or 595R. Go after one of those if you can't wait for Deere!

If Lexions already have most of the features you list and their prices (excepct maybe the class 9) are comparable, how much more are you going to be willing to pay to have all of that "me too" technology in a Deere? If so, why? It'll likely be no better that what is already on a Lexion, New Holland or CaseIH?
Muddy , Cat combines are good machines from what I saw about 2yrs ago at a demo,I like the capacity,but I don't have alot of confidience in Cat dealer support vs my Deere dealer . The Cat reminds me of what a CTS could have been,but I want a more simple design..less belts,chains,etc....don't want a Case IH 8010, I will have to see how the newer Case machines hold up. Now, if Deere makes the Bi-Rotor,and they have it right...this would be better than sliced bread,but a (REAL) class 8 STS with a big cleaning system would also be a very good machine and a very competitive machine vs Case IH & Cat.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

Deere will be coming out with 40 foot (and 35 foot) draper flex headers later this year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:Paint them 'lemon' yellow haha...JJ

Pre STS the majority of Deere owners poked fun at farmers who ran rotory combines...now most of them have STS's. It seems that if it is new and 'Green' there will be a number of farmers buy them and swear by them regardless.

All jokes and humour aside, Deere has not been known to sit back and let all the other combines pass them (our 'green' neighbors have been walking with their heads down for a couple years now) so I am sure they will come up with something that Deere lovers will be proud of.
Well Jester,it wouldn't take all that much of a redesign for the current Deere STS to hang with the current Case AFX Combines...Deere wouldn't need a all-new combine to do that vs a Case IH , a (True )DEERE Class 8 STS would handle the Case...I beleive . Now CatLexion (which is not a MAJOR combine market holder in the U.S.A. anyway) is a different story. That Lexion Class 8 is a monster. Deere really see Case IH as the most Major Combine Competitor here in the U.S.A. to them, Deere really don't mind the Lexion being the biggest & baddest combine..until the Lexion picks up alot of market share,but damned if Deere ever let Case IH walk all over them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Also Jester, pre-STS Deere owners that wouldn't go for the Red rotor because of a couple of reasons.........during the late 70's, 80's and mostly 90's the red rotor combine was really underpowered with that rotor, and those flex platforms, with the short feederhouse. I think if the Case would have had the power back then on those rotors to make that rotor shine in all conditions vs Deere straw walkers..alot of Deere guys,including me might have switched. Once Case got the power up there,etc...Deere knew that the straw walker could not compete by design...so STS it is!!!!!!

·
Registered
590 Posts

STSman nailed it. Until the mid to late 90's Deere walkers would kick axial flows a**. When the 2388 hit, the 96x0 could not keep up. Pure HP. I always wondered why my 9400 would kick my neighbors 1460s up and down the field, run past dark, etc.

Deere knows how to build a Lexion fighter. All they have to do is put the CTS design into the 9x00 box. Put the HP to it with the cleaning capacity. The bean counters at mother Deere are making money keeping their factories full capacity with what they got for the most of the NA market. They are not going to spend millions retooling for a handful of sales in Canada.

Once the market share starts hitting USA, watch out.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

I'd like to see the Pro-Drive transmission that the new 7850 forage harvesters have, in the STS combines... it will then truely walk through anything...

I'd also be interested to see if & when Deere brings out a self-leveling shoe...

Get rid of the augers under the concaves and put another "chaffer & sieve" shaker pan under there to lighten the load on the cleaning system.

Just a few things to start the list...

On the CTS design, it's not dead (look at the CTS in Europe) so it's still very feasible to reproduce such a machine, but would be better suited if built on the larger frame 9*70 frame now...

·
Registered
77 Posts

heated leather seats like the tractors and Sync so u dont have to have to the phone up to ur head all the time have it the Custom Harvesters SUpream Package

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

a heated leather seat would be a bad thing... after sitting in a cloth seat for 3 summers I can safely say that was hot enough, a leather seat would make your butt sweat like no tomorrow.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Why heated? I think a cooled leather seat would be much nicer. Or maybe so solar panels on the roof to run the A/C while the combine is shut down so its not 140 when you get in.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts

Quote: They are not going to spend millions retooling for a handful of sales in Canada.
Hey Jester, now were just "a handful of sales"!
While I never...

Don

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts

Quote:I was counting down the minutes until you responded, Don.
I hope you took the joke as intended.
The reality is your correct, Canada is a comparatively small from a unit sales standpoint.
But when it comes to ground truthing designs Canada is an area that is not ignored.
Most manufactures have worked with PAMI and a gain in knowledge results.

Don

·
Registered
607 Posts

I don't like changing designs all that often.

It takes to much money to redesign often, thats why John Deere did not change the sound guard cab from 1973-1991.
the JD 55 combine lasted over 20 years
so did the next combines

Wait that means all new combines in 2009 and all new tractors in 2012

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

Sirius Satelitte radio's standard in all cabs.

That way everyone can rock out to classic vinyle and listen to howard and bubba.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Leather seats would not be bad in the heat or even cold for that matter. Thats a common misperception about leather seats. I have them in my car and sure they may be a bit warm on a summer when you get in but its not bad. And they take on your body temp pretty fast, especially if the A/C is running.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Don, I did get the joke and no offense taken. After posting I had a second thought and shoud have worded it different. I do have an appreciation and better understanding of the cropping conditions in Canada and around the world as a result of this website. I could and maybe should have substituted the Sacramento Valley or Mississipi Delta as farming areas or micro markets (rice) that would benefit from a CTS in a larger model to keep up with the Lexion/Claas. Deere could put the CTS design in the 96xx walker box to catch it. Alex mentioned they want to keep it in the 95xx box or current STS frame (size). Custom harvestors hauled 96xx walkers all over the place, so why would a CTS in a 96xx frame be a problem? I don't know.

My real point was Deere must not want to spend the capital to compete with Claas in that biggest combine market, yet. At some point they will be forced to, if sales continue to go to the 8010 and Lexion as farms continue to get larger in size everywhere.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts