The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been searching for a Durum that takes the drought a bit better. Tried Precision it not great! Transcend I think was better now have Stronghold its a nasty dog in drought! maybe just the year LOL!! Frustrated Spring wheat took it much better!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh, always thought durum was a Palliser Triangle crop therefore more drought tolerant.
So did I but 2019, I had 1.5" rain wheat went 30 durum 17, this year 4.3" rain but hotter than F#### wheat going 3 to 5 times better than durum!

·
Registered
31 Posts
i grew Dynamic Durum and it didn't do worth a hoot either averaged 12bpa with similar rain amounts as mauryj and that's averaging in the low spots that did in the 60 bpa range seen a lot of 0 on the monitor while combining we all thought the same durum would do better
meanwhile the Brandon wheat did 3 times that

oh well at least i got some seed back

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Never has took the drought good if we’re taking durum

soft white 15ish. Durum 5-8

·
Registered
535 Posts
Grew some stronghold this year. I didn’t have anything else beside it but I wasn’t impressed. Still going to try some next year.

Brandon wheat was a lot better but it has to been at least twice as go at these prices

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Spitfire was better than precision when dry but worse when it’s wetter. Durum on lentil stubble sucked. Durum on durum was twice as good

·
Registered
949 Posts
Durum will not yield as good as wheat in extreme drought conditions. it just takes more water to grow it.
It can and usually will outyield wheat when moisture not as scarce.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Huh, always thought durum was a Palliser Triangle crop therefore more drought tolerant.
Disease issues run rampant if it gets rain and high humidity at the wrong time, heading flowering etc. Our desert conditions down here help that a lot.
This year though it helped a bit too much.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We seem to have good luck with Alloy. Had quite a bit of rain at harvest time and dad said the grain has held its color very well. Even in the heat it still has nice color and he figured it should go #1. Other neighbors grew Precision I believe and they said there's is all going feed because the heat bleached the kernels white.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
The other thing that bit us on the ass was viper residue carry over on the pea stubble and of course all the Durum went into pea stubble

·
Registered
21 Posts
Stronghold here. It failed on nearly every front. It's supposed to be sawfly "resistant", but in low spots and field edges where snow layed it was down 15-30% so that was a serious piss off. I hate using lifters!

The sheer % of sterile heads was staggering. Ive never seen fields that are 90+% sterile before. Thank goodness it was the smallest field I had, but one ran 1.5bu/ac! It didnt matter what sort of stubble it was on. It all sucked! Max yield on dryland stubble was 13, poorest was 1.5. Most ran between 4 and 8.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
I thought solo/imazamox doesn't have long residual like pursuit
Nope. Seen it a couple years ago with my neighbours that grew canola. Also this year I habe heard of half a dozen guys in my area with viper burn. Even had a guy show me pics on his phone of two fields side by side
Maybe our soil type. Not sure

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Durum on canola stubble was twice as good as durum on lentil stubble here.
[/QUO
Nope. Seen it a couple years ago with my neighbours that grew canola. Also this year I habe heard of half a dozen guys in my area with viper burn. Even had a guy show me pics on his phone of two fields side by side
Maybe our soil type. Not sure
This is common in years when it is dry in the application (pea lentils) and durum is also much more sensitive than spring wht. also lighter texture soil!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stronghold here. It failed on nearly every front. It's supposed to be sawfly "resistant", but in low spots and field edges where snow layed it was down 15-30% so that was a serious piss off. I hate using lifters!

The sheer % of sterile heads was staggering. Ive never seen fields that are 90+% sterile before. Thank goodness it was the smallest field I had, but one ran 1.5bu/ac! It didnt matter what sort of stubble it was on. It all sucked! Max yield on dryland stubble was 13, poorest was 1.5. Most ran between 4 and 8.
I have this same issue, flax stubble the worst!! and it caught snow !! on very heavy clay soil, did 120 ac and had 200 bu that was sickening!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts