The Combine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Durum on canola stubble was twice as good as durum on lentil stubble here.
well you drove by mine at yard (flax stubble) looked great early in year at flag as good as i've seen at flag!! then just got roasted!! I had it side by side last year against precision and thought it out performed it? F#$# what do I know!! LOL!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I had Transcend in 17 bpa 17+% protein 61 lb bu weight. I had some on Pea stubble some on Durum stubble. 4.5“ of rain. Not sure what is the best variety. 20lbs less N and a Lower seeding rate might have helped me out.

·
Registered
535 Posts
well you drove by mine at yard (flax stubble) looked great early in year at flag as good as i've seen at flag!! then just got roasted!! I had it side by side last year against precision and thought it out performed it? F#$# what do I know!! LOL!
Few fields like that on my daily drive. I’m gonna to give stronghold another try next year. Every year is different so…
I’m really getting annoyed with all these new varieties. Far too many imo

·
Registered
336 Posts
Imazamox (solo/viper) carryover is very hard on durum if you don’t get at least 3-4” rain after application and prior to Sept 1. Had 3 different varieties in this year. All were crap

·
Registered
1 Posts
So is Canada’s durum crop what they claim? You guys make is sound lower yielding then what they say.
Hard to say. There was decent crops in some areas. Going south from Regina/ Moosejaw towards Weyburn there was crop. Lot of variable land over that total area but guessing 30 or better bushel/acre average. From everyone I have talked to that is where the bulk of this year's production will come from.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Imazamox (solo/viper) carryover is very hard on durum if you don’t get at least 3-4” rain after application and prior to Sept 1. Had 3 different varieties in this year. All were crap
I haven’t used any group 2s in years. On a sencor diet. It was the lack of total rainfall that was the main issue

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Huh, always thought durum was a Palliser Triangle crop therefore more drought tolerant.
no, the reason durum is a palliser crop is because it is hyper sensitive to grade loss. I’ve seen varieties that would downgrade if a cloud went over it. Growing durum outside of the palliser region would be 50/50 proposition of growing a sellable durum or a feed wheat. Over the past few years when I would occasionally put in a spring wheat for god knows what reason, it would outperform the durum on a drought but under perform on a bumper.

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
oh and to the OP, Brigade or other black beards always do better in droughts. We only grow black varieties now

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
oh and to the OP, Brigade or other black beards always do better in droughts. We only grow black varieties now
the newer spring wheats have caught up and seem to yield as good as durum in big years!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
the newer spring wheats have caught up and seem to yield as good as durum in big years!!
interesting on the black beards as i saw a few fields that looked much better like that not near as much aborting!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I had Transcend in 17 bpa 17+% protein 61 lb bu weight. I had some on Pea stubble some on Durum stubble. 4.5“ of rain. Not sure what is the best variety. 20lbs less N and a Lower seeding rate might have helped me out.
Yes I believe both of those helped this year for sure!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Simpsons Seeds here has been saying that Congress is the drought winner.
I grew a hundred acres of Congress to get some seed. Only had a half inch of rain and still went 15bpa. Tested the germ and it was 98 so I'm pretty happy for the year.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I grew Congress and alloy last year. About the same. All Congress this year. Crop sucked but nothing to compare to. Defy sounds like the new one to have 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Hate to guess what even bin run will cost

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've been growing Alloy for a few years and so far I really like it. Mind you, we haven't had drought like you guys. My durum averaged about 40 bushels.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Mcdougals here must have Defy for sale. Drove by two fields of it every day. It looked good all year until it didn't. I'd like to know what those two yielded.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts