The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been organizing the shop sorting through the tool box. Decided to clear out the cheap princess auto stuff(sockets and wrench sets). What should a guy replace with?? What does everybody like?? Price vs durability, these tools will not leave the shop, have other stuff to bounce around in equipment and service truck.
Have had some Gray socket sets that are 23 years old and have had very little trouble also have bunch of mastercraft.
Let’s here everyone’s thoughts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Honestly, for hand tools, I like my princess auto tools. Cheap, lifetime warranty, and I won't cry when I lose one and need to take out a loan for a new ratchet. Walk into the store, put it on the counter and they tell you to go grab a new one.

Guy that works for us is also a HD mechanic. Was just showing me his new $225 SnapOn 3/8 ratchet. Ouch.

However, there are some precision tools where only name brand will do. SnapOn and Mac are good. I really like anything I've ever got from Jet. But one of our local parts stores sells it, and same thing. Walk in with a broken one. Walk out with a good one. No chasing down a SnapOn truck.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Canadian tire has decent tools for a good price if you wait for sale. Our service truck has the professional series in it. My tool box is full of westward tools and they have been good.
I also have some Mac and snap on tools and I prefer their ratchets over some of the other cheaper ones.

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
I was a diesel tech and bought plenty of mac, snap-on, matco... Now I never see a dealer and their warranty is worthless if they break, they all break. I have been buying Tekton off amazon. Honestly, they have been great so far. Great impact sockets. If I loose one, I can order another and not worry about it. They may even have a warranty. I haven't even looked.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have the older professional series westward wrenches my dad bought for me when I started my career as a HD mechanic.... and still have 98% of them... they WERE really good... but the local parts store is getting away from westward because getting warranty has become difficult. But honestly Canadian tire mastercraft stuff on sale cant be beat.
The best is still snap on and mac as long as your close to the tool truck route.
They really are great quality tools.
Also check pawn shops as long as you know your prices it can be a good place to pick up snap on/mac stuff.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Tools that are used extensively I would get the Mac or snap on. You don't have to get eery socket or wrench by them either. Just the most used sizes.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have allot of snap on and higher end tools but quite honestly the as was mentioned the mastercraft stuff is pretty good , and if you wait for sales , very reasonable . I still buy allot of high end specialty tools but the princess auto pro point is also pretty nice .

·
Registered
99 Posts
Gray and mastercraft all around. Black Friday sales at canadian tire best time to buy there.

·
Premium Member
8,054 Posts
Mastercraft stuff is only good if you buy the "MAXIMUM" line. Regular stuff is pretty cheap, maybe adequate for a toolbox that sees random use. Drill bits and power tools are garbage for the most part. Canadian Tire has really gone down-hill in recent years to the point where I almost don't want to go in the store anymore. Good luck dealing with teenagers to exchange a failed tool too. Princess Auto stuff on the other hand has been improving over that same time period from my experience, and they don't argue when something fails. So my vote is the Maximum stuff for daily hand tools, PA stuff for items that aren't used frequently and Milwaukee power tools. Christmas and Father's day also good times to buy tools.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My vote for best value is mastercraft MAXIMUM as well. Westerward, Gray and Napa Ultrapro also very good but won’t (at least i haven’t) find them anywhere near the price you get a set of Maximum’s on sale.

Can’t speak for Princess Auto lately. About 10 years ago I was reefing on a nut in an awkward position that I couldn’t get box end on. The open end sprung open (it stayed sprung and nut edges weren’t rounded a bit, wish I took a picture) took big chunk out of my hand and I fell about 4’ to the ground. Through the wrench as far as could, gathered the whole set and tossed them in the bin. They may be better now but I won’t be buying any ever. I buy other things there just not hand tools.

I’ve also gotten on the Milwaukee power tool bandwagon and replacing Mikita and Rigid as needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My vote for best value is mastercraft MAXIMUM as well. Westerward, Gray and Napa Ultrapro also very good but won’t (at least i haven’t) find them anywhere near the price you get a set of Maximum’s on sale.

Can’t speak for Princess Auto lately. About 10 years ago I was reefing on a nut in an awkward position that I couldn’t get box end on. The open end sprung open (it stayed sprung and nut edges weren’t rounded a bit, wish I took a picture) took big chunk out of my hand and I fell about 4’ to the ground. Through the wrench as far as could, gathered the whole set and tossed them in the bin. They may be better now but I won’t be buying any ever. I buy other things there just not hand tools.

I’ve also gotten on the Milwaukee power tool bandwagon and replacing Mikita and Rigid as needed.
Yep sick of every time I put a flex bar on a PA socket the socket splits, I go flyin over backward, don’t care how good the return policy is I’m still pi$$ed of and missing a socket for the job I’m workin on.
Some PA stuff is ok, some is real junk.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Unless you are paying a 100 a week to Snap on you have no warranty. More of a pyramid scheme than a warranty.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Have good luck with Westward, they hold up well and never any issues with warranty. Don't have much from Princess Auto, but they seem to honour their warranty pretty good, but that may also depend on who's working the till that day, I returned a 3 foot swing bar I had broken with about a 10 foot extension on it, you could see the marks on the handle, no questions at all! We don't really have any cheap wrenches and sockets anymore, nothing worse than rounding off a bolt because the wrench will stretch from a 7/16 to a 9/16 when you push on it. I broke a coworkers puller one time, took about 2 months to finally meet up with the Mac guy, thought that's kind of pointless.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mastercraft maximum bought on sale is hard to beat. Jet is also very good bang for the buck.
Be careful with PA hammers, punches, chisels etc. Unless you are very good at wearing safety glasses.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not to promote John Deere but their warranty is pretty good and their wrenches are decent. Actually the first set I found that didn't skip sizes in the metric. I buy Gear Wrench brand ratchet wrenches off of Amazon. Napa's wrenches hold up under the abuse I put them through pretty well too. Other than that I wouldn't waste money on mac or snap on. There truck shows up regularly but I can get anything I need from Amazon for a lot less than ordering off the truck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the only place I can but it is from a tool truck, then I’m out. Have a snap on 1/2 in torque wrench that is bunched up and can’t ever catch up with a tool truck

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sockets and wrenches usually Jet/Westward/mastercrap/Napa. Whatever the auto parts store is carrying. A wrench is a wrench, impact sockets little more picky about.

Milwaukee power tools because of tool selection and excellent batteries. They usually only last 1-2 years of heavy/hired man useage but the warranty is not bad. They're high performance but not so expensive that you can't give them to your guys like a Hilti.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
If the only place I can but it is from a tool truck, then I’m out. Have a snap on 1/2 in torque wrench that is bunched up and can’t ever catch up with a tool truck
You don't want to go thru a dealer for a repair like that anyway, all they do is send it out and add ten percent or more. Very little with a torque wrench including calibration is ever covered under warranty.
I have always dealt with McCann....address for Edmonton is under the Contact Us link.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Unless you are paying a 100 a week to Snap on you have no warranty. More of a pyramid scheme than a warranty.
It is all dependent on how good your dealer is. I have never had an issue with warranty with them, in fact was times my dealer actually replaced the tool out of his own pocket because it wasn't actually covered by Snap On. That was because he wanted to keep my business. Deal with Snap On online if you have issues, that has eliminated the need to chase after a truck if you don't have contact info for the dealer or know someone on his route.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts