The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first combine, JD9410, I need to buy a bean head and was looking at 920F, then a JD shop manager told me the 620F was so much better. My question is will the 620F head fit right on it, I don't have pto shafts on my feeder house, it's gears, and I plan this year to use an older 444 corn head with gear/chain drives, I have always hired my combining done, and am dumb at all of this stuff. Does the "F" stand for full fingered auger or not? and can I convert my feeder house to fit the 620F, but then have convert back to go to the old corn head, should I just try to find a late model 920F?? How much difference are there in the heads? thanks

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
The 620F will fit on the feedehouse no problem but your 9410 won't have the required componetry to run the hydraflex. I've never seen a 600 series flex on a TEN series but i'd imagine it would be able to be converted to run it.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
we swap a number of different fronts between our machines, my father has a 9510 and me a coulple of STS's and all my feederhouse's are interchangable with my fathers, Deere make adapters that bolt on to the small gear on the feederhouse output shaft with a stub piece of shaft to suit the fronts with the drive shafts, that are very easy to swap back and forward as your front requirement changes.as to running the 600flex on a older machine take your serial numbers of your header to your dealer and they can tell you what is involved via a bundle number and whether it is cost effective.a good 922F or 925F front would do your job fine im sure.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just curious, Art. What are or will be the average bean yield you will be cutting?
If consistently below 60 bpa, you might want to consider a larger head, 922F or 925F, depending on your conditions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will always be cutting 55 bpa beans and less, but will combine some winter wheat also that might yeild 60-80 bpa. Can I handle a 22 ft head? Also then what is the difference between a 920 and 920F head?

·
Registered
590 Posts
art,
We have run a 922R (22' rigid head) for wheat and milo on a 9410 in up to 70 bushel wheat (HRW), and it handles it satisfactory for us. We run a 925F (25' flex) for soybeans in up to 60-70 bushel beans, mostly 30-60, and are satisfied. If you want one header, a 22' would be real safe.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Actually the F on the decal on the head does stand for full fingered auger. I have a 915 flex non full fingered auger and the decal on the head is just plain "915". The "F" was not added to the decals on the 900 series flex heads until the full fingered auger was added near the end of the 900 series model run.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Actually the F on the decal on the head does stand for full fingered auger. I have a 915 flex non full fingered auger and the decal on the head is just plain "915". The "F" was not added to the decals on the 900 series flex heads until the full fingered auger was added near the end of the 900 series model run.

I'm not buying it, I have seen several 2000 & 2001 925F and 930F heads that came without the FF auger and still have the "F" designation - It is just a model change designation!!

The 900"F" platfroms came in 2000 with the intro of the 50 series combines, several small upgrades were done with the biggest being the addition of the full finger auger - you could actually de option the auger the first few years it was available but then became std later in the production run.

edit: It also just accured to me the 2000 and newer 915 was never available with the full finger auger, but was still a 915F.

jd

·
Registered
210 Posts
F IS FOR FLEX ANY WAY my two cents would be to buy a nicer 900 ser. flexhead 922 if you like or 925 if you plan to need a easy resale. stay away from the 600 seer. with your 9410 or any 94,95,96 hundreds for lack of hydralic. By the time and money spent to update your machine you can owna really nice older header.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don't want to mislead you with what a 9410 does in our conditons, because they may not be the same. I don't know where you are located, and your straw and stem conditions may be totally more knarly than mine. Look around or ask someone credible at your dealership what most people run on their 94x0 and 95x0 in your area.
I would stay away from the newer headers as the older 900 series were made for your model, the newer ones have the fancy stuff the 50 series was supposed to handle. Our flex head is a 97 or 98 and or rigid is a 94 year model, and they both do a good job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
from Art, thanks all for your input. this is an incredible website and I got more questions answered than I asked, which is good in my case, something tells me I might be back on here come harvest time. thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would throw my hat in with the others and go for a 9xx head... we just bought a 2002 925F head that was on a 50 series with the previous owner, we had to get different sensors for the DAM for our 9500 to be compatible, I would imagine that there would be other items (single point hookup etc) that would need to change as well for a 600 to work with your combine. From shopping it looks like these were offered as early as 96 or 97... just a guess based on tractorhouse ads.

As for the "F" I assure you that the "F" stands for Full Fingered Auger NOT Flex... After talking to many dealers (service dept as well as sales) for the last 2 years looking for our head this was the overwhelming majority consensus (not all agreed either). I was given the example: How is it that all the "9xx" still have flexible cutter bars even though they don't have the designation of "F"... However all the "F" designation have full Fingered Augers. If the head was not a flexible cut, then it would be a Rigid. Correct?, It made sense to me.

Note: you can buy an aftermarket full fingered auger to go with any 9xx head... this also may be where confusion comes in as some 9xx have a full fingered auger on them when being replaced

1 - 20 of 25 Posts