The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now in the market for straight cut header for my T98 and was wondering how big of head I can push with it. I know I wont be going to a 36ft but 30ft and 25fts are in the picture. My average crop yeilds are 55bus. acre for barley and 40-55bus/acre for wheat and 75bus/acre of oats.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
30 ft draper would be my vote. On that isn't black (macdon) would be a clarification. Too small a feedhouse for the older macdons (960) to work right. I can let you know how a honeybee works, but that will be after harvest.

·
Registered
664 Posts
we have a 25 fles and we love it. get a stainless floor!!! first day of harvest and your rolling like its the last. there is no shine up period on it. we run a 25 ft on our 98 because of terraces, but in good crops it comes in handy so you can travel faster than 2mph

MAtt

·
Registered
561 Posts
Dont go with a flex unless you need it for pulse crops. The cutter bar is further away from the auger and they dont feed very well in barly especially. A HoneyBee or a 94c would be Ideal. Macdons work Ok but they dont feed quite as nice due to their smal auger which is mounted too high and has no retractable fingers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We ran a 30ft HB on our TR97 last year and it worked really good. I think as far as capacity wise you could run a 36ft. With the 30ft you will just need to drive a little faster. Fed nice, good flotation and the combine could lift it! (always a plus)

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
9520, how are the older, standard 24' or 30''s priced around there? I know the 24's may seem "outdated" and "undersized" but for your combine, it will still provide plenty of feed. Also, as others have suggested, you CAN go as fast as needed to make up the differences, so you will still not only cover the same acres/day, but have increased versatility, maneuverability with the smaller header. Also, it's my thinking that 24's will be substantially cheaper than 30-36' or even an odd size past 24'.

Stay with the rigid, rather than flex heads, as Steigerman also suggested. Since you only mentioned cereals, I take it, you have no legumes. The rigid heads also outlast flex bars, less wear.

If someone made you a really outstanding offer for a 35-36' table, your combine will still handle it okay, but as you know, would just need to run slower to accommodate. I just think you would be happier, easier-going with a 24' to 30' max on header width.

Good luck on your purchase and happy harvesting!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont want go any smaller that 25ft and 36ft would be way to big. I think I have found a 971 25ft that has some potential, its a 1998 and they want $5000 for it so I guess I am going for a drive.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Quote:9520, how are the older, standard 24' or 30''s priced around there? I know the 24's may seem "outdated" and "undersized" but for your combine, it will still provide plenty of feed. Also, as others have suggested, you CAN go as fast as needed to make up the differences, so you will still not only cover the same acres/day, but have increased versatility, maneuverability with the smaller header. Also, it's my thinking that 24's will be substantially cheaper than 30-36' or even an odd size past 24'.

I guess I had better chime in on this--I would tell you what you need is the biggest header that fits your area. If you can handle a 30, go 30, 36, go 36. I will guarantee you that if your land lays in a way that you can handle those larger heads you will get more done. Sooo much more effecient, less turning for one a third less between a 25 and a 36 foot head. Put 2 matched machines in matched fields and I do not care if you can drive a third faster, the big head will get more done. Machine life will be much longer, driver fatigue will be much less, chances of picking something up you couldn't see will be much less. I am much more a fan of driving 4.5 than 6 (I would tell you that six is about the top end of what you can cut clean at unless your cutter bar is brand new) , easier on everything and cuts off so much better. More power put into harvesting and less into propelling combine through the field. That foot of overhang adds up over the day, a third less again between a 25 and a 36.

my .02

·
Registered
664 Posts
i disagree with the flex comments. our flex head is the same set up as a rigid head. ours is an auger / stainless floor flex and it feeds fine. we have a fingure reel and the sickle is the same distance as our old rigid

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
We had a 24 ft NH rigid for doing peas this year cause the stupid macdon got even dumber when peas were involved. When we started pushing hard the section in the middle where the two knives meet would start dragging instead of cutting. that was near 6 mph and in vines but its something to consider. Seemed that there wasn't enough overlap where the knives ran together and when the separated on the stroke it wouldn't cut.

·
Registered
385 Posts
We have never had problems with the center not cutting on our 30' 973 NH flex or the 25' 971 rigid dual drives. We keep our guards and section in very good shape that will always help no matter the header.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
no, the problem was that how it was built when the knife sections pull apart there was no knife right in the middle so rather than cutting, the crop would drag. This isn't a problem with our 25 foot hesston swather, so I assume that it is something to do with the design of the NH, not the double knife drive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts