The Combine Forum banner

Do you think introducing canola that is resistant to both Liberty and Glyphosate is a good idea?

• YES

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • NO

Votes: 240 90.9%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
I sat down to read Bayer's Farm Forum publication last night and was disappointed to see that they are continuing to press forward with this stacked trait canola that is resistant to both Liberty AND Glyphosate. Who is asking for this? Does anyone really seed Invigor and then have a panic attack and wish they all-of-a-sudden could spray roundup on it? Do they know that many of us grow LL canola to AVOID having glyphosate resistant plants in our fields? Does anyone really believe that IF these varieties become commercial that they won't spread everywhere? Or that they will keep the straight LL canola seed from getting contaminated?

Here is the link to the website: Bayer CropScience Canada - For Your Eyes Only You need to click where it says "visit Farm Forum online". When the stories scroll across select "Invigor Hybrids with stacked". I can't seem to link directly to the article but will cut/paste the pertinent part now:
The next technological advancement expected from the InVigor lineup will be a hybrid with stacked LibertyLink/Genuity Roundup Ready traits. This product has been in development for several years and, pending regulatory approval, the goal is to get it into small-scale field demonstration trials in the coming year.

“This hybrid will offer everything a grower has come to expect from an InVigor hybrid and add in glyphosate resistance,” says James Humphris, manager oilseed crop traits with Bayer CropScience. This will give canola growers even more flexibility, with postemergent, tough-to-kill perennial weed control, plus management of glyphosate-resistant weeds with Liberty herbicide, he adds.

While many InVigor fields already get a pre-season application of glyphosate, in years where the winter is late or spring is unusually wet, growers are often unable to schedule a pre-seeding burn-off. In these cases, the stacked hybrid allows growers to benefit from the weed control of both chemistries in-crop.
To create a stacked hybrid, researchers at Bayer CropScience convey resistance to each herbicide into the hybrid, so the number one feature of this hybrid will be flexibility. It offers growers another option with the performance of InVigor, but with the additional flexibility to choose the herbicide resistance traits they need based on their specific situation.

“Having two modes of action tackling the same group of weeds will also work for resistance management, as you are less likely to leave behind resistant plants,” says Humphris. “As in the past, growers will need to consider their crop and herbicide rotation over a three or four year period and see how this will work into their resistance management strategy. This product may not work in every situation, but certainly can be a solution for weed control challenges of the future.”

I like the part where they say "Having two modes of action tackling the same group of weeds will also work for resistance management, as you are less likely to leave behind resistant plants". I guess they don't consider the super-weed that they are creating to be a plant?:rolleyes:

I am attaching a poll to this thread and look forward to your comments.;)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I was the one yes vote and it was by mistake.
There is no way this is a good idea.
It is because of diversified gene traits that growers chose Invigor RR or Clearfield varieties. Stacking these traits creates more issues than it solves and will only add fuel to the fire for the no GMO crowd.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think Bayer has really no choice in the matter it's being forced on them by Monsanto. Doesn't Monsanto do the trait work for most of the canola seed companies? They most likely want in on the invigor line.

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
I think there trying to hide the fact that there is roundup resistant seeds already in the bag of liberty canola that they do not want to admit that they have. I think this is a terrible idea. At the end of the day they do what is best for them and put there market spin on it to convince us it's is a good thing. We will need to do our voting with our check books in the future. Hopefully another company will develop liberty link varieties.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Main reason I grow Invigors is to try and get away from glyphosate. Use it enough with preseed burns and preharvest in cereals. With canola it gives the land a break for a year at least.

Wonder what the yield would be like on a stacked trait. I know Invigors out yield RR canola by an easy 20-25bpa here. Sometimes wonder if the yield loss in RR is from the roundup trait.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I think Bayer has really no choice in the matter it's being forced on them by Monsanto. Doesn't Monsanto do the trait work for most of the canola seed companies? They most likely want in on the invigor line.
That is incorrect. Bayer made a deal with Monsanto to share traits. However, Bayer is not being forced to add roundup to the liberty resistant lines, they are doing that on their own. In fact Monsanto will not be offering the same thing and are planning on keeping the resistant genetics separate for the exact same reason we want it kept separate . I have shared my disgust for bayers idea with my area rep. As a corn and soybean grower this looks like a possible nightmare. Personally I think it is just Bayer being lazy and trying to get the rr trait out faster by simply adding the trait to the genetics they already have available instead of starting from scratch.

Imagine having a very aggressive weed that is resistant to both roundup and liberty. We are about to have it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think there trying to hide the fact that there is roundup resistant seeds already in the bag of liberty canola that they do not want to admit that they have. I think this is a terrible idea. At the end of the day they do what is best for them and put there market spin on it to convince us it's is a good thing. We will need to do our voting with our check books in the future. Hopefully another company will develop liberty link varieties.
x2

·
Registered
529 Posts
Doesn't stacking traits help with stopping resistance.....giving it several modes of action, we still need to be careful and diligent in how it's used but in theory it should be better. Not a lot different from doing 2 and 3 way tank mixes of different chemical families to control certain weeds....just saying..

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Doesn't stacking traits help with stopping resistance.....giving it several modes of action, we still need to be careful and diligent in how it's used but in theory it should be better. Not a lot different from doing 2 and 3 way tank mixes of different chemical families to control certain weeds....just saying..
You are correct kind of. Roundup is so overused already that it does not fit your argument as well as it would otherwise. We are more worried about the volunteer canola that is going to cost us much more money to control going forwards.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Honestly the option of spraying our best LL variety with roundup if needed don't sound that bad. Especially in a wheat/canola rotation as canola volunteer's are pretty easy to knock out.

We're ramping up to 1/3 RR canola and with the success in general of the RR varieties its easy to see Bayer is wanting to get those acres back.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
We grow Liberty canola and the last couple of years we also grew RR Nexera canola but in the future we will stop growing RR canola because we grow RR beans. We are quite careful about rotating crops Ie. cereal (a cool cereal), canola (a cool broadleaf), soybean (a hot pulse/broadleaf), perennial ryegrass and some day but not yet corn (a hot cereal).

With that type of rotation you keep disease and weeds and bio diversity all in balance. This type of a rotation makes it a lot harder for resistant weeds to take a foothold. I have some group 1 resistant wildoats in my fields but we have been able to get ontop of the problem and dare I say have brought it under control to the point where it is not an economic problem anymore...for the time being.

Now back to stacking a RR trait onto LL canola is totally stupid, it does not aid in combating the problem of resistance but only adds to it. I am totally pro GMO but lets not make stupid errors that give ammo to the anti GMO crowd.
GMO's used wisely are a great thing but when used improperly can become a total nightmare.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Well if this does come to the market place it can be quickly shelved if no one buys it. no company will continue to spend money on R and D for a product if there is no market for it.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
The Dilemma for these companies is " Do we create something for the greater good of mankind, or do we create something for the greater good of our shareholders wallets" Hmmm!
One would have to seriously question whether Morals, Ethics, farmers economic or environmental sustainability, or the greater good of mankind ever crosses these folks minds.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
The Dilemma for these companies is " Do we create something for the greater good of mankind, or do we create something for the greater good of our shareholders wallets" Hmmm!
One would have to seriously question whether Morals, Ethics, farmers economic or environmental sustainability, or the greater good of mankind ever crosses these folks minds.
At the end of the day, that "dilemma" is one for the farmers. The company only OFFERS the product. It's for the farmer to contemplate whether to CHOOSE crops for the greater good of mankind or the greater good of their wallets. Morals, ethics, farmer economic and environmental sustainability are the responsibility of the farmer, not the chem/seed company. Those choices are yours and yours alone.

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
What they are forgetting is most of the people that grow liberty link canola grow it because they want to get away from the round up ready technology for various reasons. The main people they will attract with this new technology is the round ready canola crowd.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.