The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi what is considered wore out on combines
my 79 1440 combine has 2800hrs (the funny part is that is it 28 years old) and our 1985 1460 has 2850hrs and we are looking at a 1988 1660 with 3450hrs

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I read this it made me chuckle a little. When I bought my 1440 I had no knowledge of a combine at all. I had rode in my neighbors silver seeder once and other than that, that was as close as I had been to one. I had looked at a couple of 7700's and some other green machines that I had decided were out of my price range. I only have about 200 acres of barley and our cutting window is very small, because I live in the mountains. I bought the 1440 mainly because I've got red blood, and I really don't like my neighbors, cow manure colored machines.
The first year I was cutting one of my neighbors came to help me. His 7720 was not doing a very good job of cleaning. The person buying my grain would not buy the grain from the neighbors machine. When I told my neighbor not to cut any more he said "you have to remember this machine is about wore out it has 2800 hrs. on it. I told him O really Mine has 3600 hrs. on it. which shut him up really fast. Since running this for a couple of years I have found out how easy it is to keep this machine up and running with just a little of TLC and a few new parts every year. I also cut along side another neighbors 1660 without to many problems.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
2800 hours on a '79 isn't that much (our '83 1480 had 4000), but it depends on how well it was taken care of and what was run through it. If it's had a lot of corn through it, it'll probably be in worse shape than a similar-houred machine out west that's only been in wheat and milo.

We got a lot of good service out of the 1480, but several years of drought and low crop prices meant we couldn't completely rebuild the machine during the winter and consequently it was nickel-and-diming us to death with repairs during the harvest season. If we threw enough money into it we probably could've gotten another 4000 hours out of it. It was time to upgrade, though.

Last year we got a '99 2388 with almost 3000 hours. It was a corn and wheat machine from Western Kansas. If we would've looked at it right after the previous owner's last harvest we probably would've passed on it, but our dealer put a lot of work into it before we bought it (there's a lot of new paint on it). The previous owner also had it in the shop for repairs every winter. During wheat harvest last year we replaced the turbo wastegate actuator and had three fuel lines break (two rubber hoses dried out and cracked, one steel injector line split). While harvesting corn we lost two paddles from the clean grain elevator (which looked to be original). Aside from that it's been very trouble-free. We took care of all the known issues this winter and hope to have another easy harvest come June.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think you're good for a while... Our 1480 has 43XX-something hours on it, and still works fine. We patch/ replace all the auger tin as soon as we notice a problem, and we put poly tank liners in it, but that's about it. Keep it greased and full of fluids and it should be around a good long while yet.

-J

·
Registered
349 Posts
Wore out is in the eye of the beholder probably. If your going to run it for 100hrs a year it'll last a long time, if your going to put 400hrs a year on it, it'd probably be wore out.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
same here they don't need much work all we feed though ours are wheat,durum,
the 1460 straight cut the barley and we use to grow flax but not any more be cause all it did was wreck the swathers and combines because of its wireyness.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Two machines with identical hours run in identical crops may be in greatly different conditions, a 1480 vs. a 1440, the 80 would have a lot more bushels through it because of it capacity, so it should have considerable more wear. I believe that the 1400 series was built with more "iron" than the 1600 and later series.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Isn't that the d**n truth.. Seriously people we spend all that money on a machine like that i wish they would use a lil heavyer metal.

why not do away with the Extended Wear packages and just make that standard.... U can't tell me it cost them that much more in the first place

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Quote: .....I believe that the 1400 series was built with more "iron" than the 1600 and later series.

Actually not, Yam. I know such is the case with many combines over the years, but when I began assessing older Flows for rebuildable/recyclable components and structures, I was quite impressed to see that the 2100's and later double-digit 1600's were quite beefier than the 1400's and early 1600's.

Had I amassed the team of investors as well as the resources, all remans would be to the 2100/2300 Series strengths and durabilities.

·
Registered
131 Posts
we use a 1688, bought it new in 1994, it has 7000 hours on the clock now, busy replacing the transition cone , the hole rotor cage, all the beaters, all the elevating augers as well as the return and clean grain augers, also both elevators been replaced, besides normal wear and tear to be replaced, this machine is potent!!!!!! PS it receives a lot of TLC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts