The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best combine that you have ever owned mine is our 1979 international harvester 1440 sp combine bought used with 100 hrs on it and it would run for ever we went till 2:30 am with it once it was the best till it got replaced with 1985 international harvester 1460 w/ 2400 hrs and the 1440 had 2700 when we sold it to one of my dad's freinds

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Re: What is the best combine you have ever owned??

my boss always said the 1480 after many years of gleaner heck back in the day when he went to the 1480 it was like jumping from that to a 2588 with 36ft draper..

Good Post!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts

definetely the 1460 we got it rebuildd two years agao with a fresh paint and last year we putted duals and 25 ft 1020 flex head and we can still manage to do 17 hrs in row whitout overheating even not a little bit, and with the same tank of fuel it's really economical compare to the cummins , we can run a 3,6mph in soybeans (with the specialty rotor) i«'ll send some pictures in another post soon

·
Registered
109 Posts

My favorite in (1992) was a 1991 1660 4wd with 211 hours on it. we upgraded from a 1986 1620 . It came with a new 17/12 foot 1020 flex head and we had a1044 corn head. It had no rock trap , no chopper and a straight pipe exhaust! seemed really powerful! all for 55g's! WE thought we had the world by the $ss!!! It is still going @ the next door neighbor's. We are on our 11th since (2577) but that one leaves a lot of great memories !! First 4wd . 92 was really wet here. only got stuck once.

·
Registered
299 Posts

I currently run a 2188 and it's a vast improvement over the old 1480 we had. Kinda the same workings BUT the cab is MUCH nicer...much larger and very tight! Also the entry steps are a nice improvement. Ran the old 1480 for 22 seasons and it did me well.

Now for the negative side of combines......ran a "G" Gleaner for 12 seasons along with a "F" and not a day would go by without one of them being broke down...and I don't mean just a chain comming off...major stuff like broken shafts, A/C freezing up, sickle pitman bearing getting loose and finally shooting craps. Etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts

I would have to say my best combine is the New Holland TR 99 that I own now. I bought it used with 1000 hours four years old and have used it four years myself. It has been a great machine. It may be the last combine that I own.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Without a doubt, 1989 1660 Axial Flow (Cummings Engine) with all of the mods we put on and made for it. After driving the Gleaner F & F2's (several), talk about night and day!!! We looked at every machine made (used) and my dad being a die-hard Gleaner had a hard time swallowing it, but you ask him now and he wish he would have switched years ago!!! We run all colors on our farm and we thought this was the best combine (simplicity,maintainance, parts, etc.) and best dealer network (Massey's rotor - a White Design, was simple too, but not much for dealer networks) in our area. That has been one of our best decisions!!! Corn, Soybeans, Wheat, 5 varieties of dry edible beans, etc., day in and day out this machine gets the job done, no questions asked! We have about 3500 hrs on it now and it's my baby! It eats whatever you put in it and is simple to maintain and a joy to drive. I ride in the other makes/models and the new ones may be quieter and full of gadgets, but this machine suits us just fine. Like with anything electronic, you never know when/where it will stop working! My favorite time farming is sitting in that cab! My worst time is putting it away for the year!!!

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts

was thinking about this today. the 9120 by far. I've had alot of them 915 on up all new. I've got 425 hours on her and not a problem. maybe I need a couple more years but so far this is the best. the 8010 , the worst by far, the first two years.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Would have to be the 2588 I ran this year not a single break down all year. Knock on wood the 7088 I have ordered for next year will be as good.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Mine would have to be the first red machine I ever owned. It was a 1980 model 1480 with a 30 ft 810 header. The machine had about 4100 hours on it when I bought it and about 5400 hours when I sold it last year. I had a few problems with it but it was way more reliable than the 1983 model 1480 I bought and ran with it. The 1983 had over a thousand less hours but it seemed like there was always something to fix. I sold it this fall and was glad to see it go.

·
Super Moderator
4,350 Posts

I don't really have a "best" pick, just certain machines that stick in my mind for different reasons.
1968 730 Canadian Special JD our first SP. Our only used machine purchased at an auction sale.
Cleanest sample until this year.
1978 TR70 NH revolutionary, grain losses bye bye.
1997 TX68 NH thee most infuriating one, straw would bridge over the chopper, would make your mother say sh*t.
2004 9860 STS JD best threshing drive in the industry. Still is.
We have always been a 1 combine operation except 07 when I rented a NH CR 9070, and I ran them all.
Demo's that didn't result in purchase? MF 860, JD CTS, CI 2388, MF 9895/A85, CI 8010, NH CR 9070.
Oddly enough never did demo Lex 590R but did run friend's unit.
I guess I've been actively running combines for about 43 years (yes, started at 12)
and have run roughly 30 different machines.
Hmm kinda nostalgic reflecting back like this, never done that before.

Don

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

i started runnin the combine at age 10 (w. pick up) and straight cut header at age 12

·
Super Moderator
4,350 Posts

You're ahead there, I didn't straight cut until 1989...at 35.
With MacDon's first draper.
I've run an auger header about 15...mintues.
Long enough.

Don

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

my grandpa said he spent nearly 55 years in the combine the is 85 now he also started as a youngester i never beleaived him but with more reasearch from grandma me acually has

·
Registered
136 Posts

The best combine I have owned is an International 1460 with 5400 hours on it. I have had it for 3 years now and beat my john deeres by a long shot. So good dad switched and got a 1688 Case IH with 4000 hours on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts

6620 john deere bought new in 1980 .. 5100hrs shedded still ready for harvest..

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

I kinda like my 9660 could use a bit more power for the above situation but probably won't ever hurt it like you could with the bigger machines.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts

I've never owned a combine, but the best I've driven is our (Dad's) '99 2388. We've had it for two seasons now and the worst breakdown so far was the beater drive pulley coming apart. Sure beats the heck out of the old 1480 and 1680 we ran before. We just got finished putting in new rasp bars, elephant ears, transport vanes, incline auger, and a left-side rotor cage (original was sprung last year when someone plugged it). Oh, also had to replace three fuel injector lines (one broken, one about to break, and the last because it was convenient)

We also got a new sieve to try to clean wheat better, upgraded the straw spreader releases to the push-button type, and got some new rubber skirting around the spreaders. All this took my dad, brother, and me about six days to do, including time waiting for parts. We ought to get several more good years out of it.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Well after watching this site since it started, I thought I'd reply to this thread. Best combine I've ever owned was a 1988 JD 8820. We've owned and operated just about all makes in the last 40 years, and that combine was the best. It may not have given the cleanest sample, but that combine never broke down once in the 5 years that we ran it.....not even 10 minutes. Someone may want to start a thread about the worst combine's owned. That would have to be an 1981 N7 Gleaner in my books.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts