The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 500 acres of flat oats in mud and standing water.... Yeah a real treat!

We use MacDon FD75

Any ideas what the best crop lifter would be for this mess?

·
Registered
129 Posts
We use Dutch half moon lifters ,,Used to use the long nose Schumacher ones but they tend to bend over or brake off... Lets hope for no snow and the ground freezes then you can get those oats .,,,,,Here it s the first week of Nov we freeze up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We use Dutch half moon lifters ,,Used to use the long nose Schumacher ones but they tend to bend over or brake off... Lets hope for no snow and the ground freezes then you can get those oats .,,,,,Here it s the first week of Nov we freeze up.

Thanks a million, your the second guy to recommend them to me today.

·
Registered
295 Posts
No lifters. Use the reel. I have more experience with wet lodged muddy **** the last few years than i would like and every lifter i try causes more trouble than its worth.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Agreed lifters are not always the answer. I'd still try it though to minimize header loss, the reel might shake the seeds off if you over-use it

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
As I said on another thread earlier in the fall about snowed on down crops, that I never use lifters, just adjust table accordingly...well I won't deny I was wishing I had some kind of lifters this time around for my oats. They were even flatter and like they had been trampled right on the ground then conditions when for example I was cutting them with snow on them couple years back. Were laying in all directions and the worst tangled mess I have ever cut and unfortunately I've done this before several times, thats why this time really was noticeably worse. I think it had something to do with the timing as per maturity of crop when it snowed and how long it stayed.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Whatever lifter you decide to use, you might as well just feed them through the combine one at a time before you start harvesting - it will save you the install time and the mangled reel bats.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Think you need frozen ground.
Not sure there is any good answer. Frozen ground helps some with less mud maybe. We swathed a 1/4 of flat barley one time on frozen ground with Dutch half moon and it was the only thing that got low enough to get under it but when you hit a frozen in rock it will bend the guard and or the lifter. With short days and about 2 mph took 5 days to swath a 1/4!! But we got it off. I think lifters of some kind do help and it is a trial and error kind of thing. I had these Dutch ones, Claas spring steel variety, and a knock off of the Claas style. Sometimes one style would work better than the other. Flexfinger has a fairly new one with a spring loaded tip that I have heard good things about and have thought they might work on frozen ground while following right on the ground. They are the most expensive one too!!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Not sure there is any good answer. Frozen ground helps some with less mud maybe. We swathed a 1/4 of flat barley one time on frozen ground with Dutch half moon and it was the only thing that got low enough to get under it but when you hit a frozen in rock it will bend the guard and or the lifter. With short days and about 2 mph took 5 days to swath a 1/4!! But we got it off. I think lifters of some kind do help and it is a trial and error kind of thing. I had these Dutch ones, Claas spring steel variety, and a knock off of the Claas style. Sometimes one style would work better than the other. Flexfinger has a fairly new one with a spring loaded tip that I have heard good things about and have thought they might work on frozen ground while following right on the ground. They are the most expensive one too!!

Sounds like the wheat I swathed this fall, 6 acres an hour. Still was able to haul grain from the combine at the same time! Brother was straight cutting canola, doing probably less acres an hour than I was, and he had to quit when it got dark, just too hilly of ground to try do after dark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts