The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started farming with my dad in 1983. We got a new MF850 and have been using it ever since. Last 14 years weve been using a rigid header with bat reels for the cereals and peas weve been growing. Some years the peas are no problem but lately they have been laying down a bit which makes it challenging to pick up. When its really bad we just get a custom harvester to do the job. I want to know if there are any good older combines out there that can make harvesting easier. Dont know of the issues with other makes.
Ive seen a lot of IH 1600 and 1400 models for sale but not sure how they compare to a MF850.
On my wish list,
flex type header,or something that can follow the lay of the land
Pick up reels
Hydrostatic drive combine
Good trash spreading
Good threshing ability
and in good condition of course.
We used to farm more but were down to 360 acres now.
I need to keep the price under 20 000 for sure.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Might be a little more than your budget but a 9500jd would be an excellent upgrade. They are reliable quiet and relatively low maintenance plus a much quieter cab than you have now and hydro.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
where are you located Kernel? I'd watch kijiji or post an ad looking for a IH combine and header. If you do a search on there you will probably find what you are looking for. There are probably some very well maintained machines for cheap out there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am 20 minutes north of Swift Current.
I have looked on kijiji. Im just not sure what would be a combine comparable to an MF850. Some drawbacks to my MF850 are:
rigid header with bat reels not good for peas laying down,
variable speed belt drive not good for going up and down hills(ive burned a few belts out)
poor trash spreading capabilities, (I have a chopper but no chaff spreader)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'm sure you could find a 25ft 1020 header with pickup reel or even a 1010 for not much $. A 60 series might be comparable. A Kirby or an Urvold/Agritech spreader are better than factory spreaders. Modified factory spreaders also can do ok. Place an ad of what you are looking for, a lot of people look at ads but don't necessarily post that they have something for sale. You might be surprised by the number of replies. Swift current online or the trading post works good too. All that we have ever had has been axial flows, I don't know much about 850 capacity. Aftermarket impeller kits improve capacity in cIH combines. There are a lot of upgrades available.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I think a 1688 would make you a really nice machine In the price range your talking about , and it has a few of the big improvements that the 21-2300 series have like long sieve and squirrel cage fan most had a grain loss moniter ect
We switched from green to red and in my opinion it's simpler to work on and more parts/separator sheets/ panels are bolted in therefore removable/replaceable .
The 1020 cih cutting bar is also a fairly big improvement over the 900 series deere we were used to , granted we went from rigid feeder to field tracker but it really has a lot of "life" just my 2 cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.