The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago there was a post similar to this on another board and it generated a lot of interesting responses. The post I recall the most is someone who was roading a combine and some idiot city driver cuts him off. He yanked bank on the hydro lever, the header hit the ground, somehow the back tires on the combine didn't blow out when they hit back down on the ground. Car driver carried on as though nothing ever happened.
As for myself it would be when I was hauling an 18ft disk on a 5th wheel trailer, going up a hill with guard rails on both sides. Idiot in a car coming towards me sees that I'm overwidth but decides to continue towards me. I slow down and try to get over and stop but he whizs towards me at about 50 or so. The disk had to be within a few inches of hitting that car.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Re: What is the closest farm accident calyou ever

Every time I run a grain cart next to a combine with an auger that is just too short, I wonder how many people have run over the header with the tractor duals. I've been a little too close for comfort before, but no collisions.

Whats really not fun is when you are roading a combine somewhere and the hydraulic steering
cylinder (or its mounting bracket) brakes. Trying to stop a combine fast isn't something that is easy to do, especially when it decided to change direction.

I've also heard of a tractor sliding off the side of a lowboy semi trailer while being loaded up. Wet tires can be very slick. In this case, it wasn't a problem since the tractor had duals. Just backup off the trailer and try it again.

-Lance

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

Quote:Hello,everyone?

The most bad accident I have seen was . A combine that slide a way in wet conditions from a combine trailer a fold over on his back site. I have pics off it He, lance may send them to you? So you can place them on this site? I 'm note a member by that way. Thanks lance.

Cx driver

Sure, send `em on over. My e-mail address is in the profile.

-Lance

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

Quote:The CX combine pics is off last fall season 2004. The CX combine that is equiped with tracks is taken in the wet fall off 2003. We need them because the very wet conditions. With wheels it don't go any more. With the tracks on it, you driving like you have drink to mutch beer its "swimming from left to right" and you must can follow the rows!!! We harvest that season just till February to get all the corn off. I driving with that combine.

Th combine on his side is taken by the local New Holland dealership the brand is "Deutz Fahr" and it was sold to Poland. But when the load it on the trailer it slipped away. Cab total loss and alsoo the unload auger. They cut the cab and auger and take it to Poland and harvest without cab and with an other auger.

The Claas was taken alsoo in the wet fall He lost his left rear wheel on the field.

·
Registered
298 Posts

once i was driving a 9220 with a grain giant grain cart and i was about to pull over to let a car pass down a little parish road. Next thing i know, he's flying by me. I paniced and jerked the wheel, one of the tires on the cart went into the ditch, the other side's axle broke off. So i had to sit in the middle of the road with a cart with only one wheel.
Our Grain Giant, still trukin after my accident.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

Do you have a big enough tractor on that cart? Man, that must pull like a dream.

-Lance

·
Registered
71 Posts

There's been a few things I have seen and done. 2 years ago was unloading on the go with buggey half in the ditch on the outside round, approx. 11:00pm was a fairly level ditch and had been a really wet fall and one of the trains I just loaded went past me at 45-50mph and got off the other side of the dirt raod and rolled on it's side. I just remeber looking over at the underside of the truck and trains going past at that speed

I remeber one night working by myself jacking up a 18 row 1780 corn planter to change a tire and having it come off the jack. The phone rang and just as I turned my back, BANG!

Those come off the top of my head. I'm sure i'll think of more.

·
Super Moderator
254 Posts

Lug bolts broke on a 9600 on one of the back tires. Wheat field caught on fire and burned the combine right in front of me to the ground and I helped put it out by cutting in front of the fire.
Seen a combine hit a semi right in front of me on a busy road.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

I about rolled a combine down a very steep ravene at night one time. The right duals went into the ravene and almost came off, the tires unbeeded and deflated, the header and combined went forward and landed on the header bottom, almost causing it to fall into the raven and roll down sideways, luckily it didn't. I didn't move about 5 minutes because I was shock. It was quite scary.

Alex

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:Do you have a big enough tractor on that cart? Man, that must pull like a dream.

-Lance

sometimes we end up cutting in the mud and we need that much power on the carts. Also we have a tendancy to over load our carts

·
Registered
371 Posts

We were unloading a Hesston swather in the rain once and when the backwheels switched directions, they pointed toward the edge of the trailer and it slid off. Luckily, we have a fairly low trailer and it didn't hurt much. But I did have to go home and change my shorts!

·
Registered
597 Posts

Not really an accident but a very tight spot... was bringing a newly acquired combine home and had to cross a bridge. We had previously measured it to make sure we had just enough room to squeeze through.. What I didn't realize was the bridge was a foot wider at the end we measured. Of course we got jammed in there about half way through and the header got caught so we could'nt back out.. Had to disassemble the pitman drive which is not easy on a bridge with nowhere to stand...
Had traffic backed up for an hour and luckily everyone seemed to understand, guess they were all farm folk..

·
Registered
167 Posts

Delivering a combine to western Kansas, driving through Great Bend, had the header on a trailer behind the combine trailer, made the turn and looked back and there was no header trailer. An older guy that looks stunned, is waving at us. We get out of the semi and he tells us we lost it about a 1/4 mile back. Go back, and there it is, police shut down 56 for about 5 minutes while we get the header and the trailer out of the middle of the road. Have my uncle bring another header trailer, and we are on our way, and made it the rest of the way there. Later discovered, that the factory forgot to put in a safety bolt, that is on the other 3 header trailers. These header trailers are M&D Header trailers, if you have one of these trailers you might check for this safety bolt in the middle of the tongue of the hitch, wouldn't want anyone else to go through that catastrophe.

Jacob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts