The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The forecast for tomorrow night keeps getting worse with every update. The closest two towns are both calling for minus 9. Snow ending early afternoon, then partially clear into the evening.

So if it stays soaking wet, what is the lowest temp that anything can survive? Any stories of miracles?
Regrowth Canola has no colour change, can't even roll the seeds without squishing yet. Regrowth barley is still grass green. Wheat didn't regrow, so what is remaining was only a few days from combining.

Everything is in a very dense mat thanks to the snow, maybe that will help insulate.
Will this even be the end of the alfalfa and pasture? What about thistles?

Edit to ask, what is the most frost tolerant crop you have grown? ( Don't answer with cows)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
This is a good topic I had canola a few days from swathing indure a minus 5 frost last year it had a few white kernals not enough to down grade the old guys are talking this frost will shrivel up wheat ready to combine even because of it being so damp hope there wrong

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4" of fresh snow on the crops now

4" of fresh snow on the ground now, if that sticks around will that be helpful or worse?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very helpful.
Wished I had it.
That is what I am hanging my hope on. Can't give up, need to find some straw to grasp to.

Another question. With the green barley, if it freezes hard and I want to leave it for swath grazing, I would rather not have it laying in a swath for 2 months before real winter. Would there be an emergency to swath it immediately, or can it stand for a while without losing feed value? Nitrates need to be right away or wait a week or more, is that correct?

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Most people have thier own opinions when it comes to nitrate levels and feed, I always am on the overly cautious side, it is and can be a real problem and needs to be carefully thought over.

Some reading and advice suggestions,

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex851

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most people have thier own opinions when it comes to nitrate levels and feed, I always am on the overly cautious side, it is and can be a real problem and needs to be carefully thought over.

Some reading and advice suggestions,

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex851
Thanks for the link, looks like there has to be regrowth to use the accumulated nitrates in order to be safe. At the temps we have forecast, there may be no regrowth, might have to cut immediately. What are the chances of regrowth at this stage?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I read, that some crops can adapte to protect it's self, It will produce chemicals that act like an atifreze, It needs cold before to tell it to produce the chemicals.

years ago, I did have a canola crop freeze, it was a week or more away from swathing. The frost killed it, I straight cut the crop with out any green count, and the pods did not crack open. I combined it dry, and yield better than my average.

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
I read, that some crops can adapte to protect it's self, It will
years ago, I did have a canola crop freeze, it was a week or more away from swathing. The frost killed it, I straight cut the crop with out any green count, and the pods did not crack open. I combined it dry, and yield better than my average.
THERE'S what I'm pulling for.:)
Not sure Ed about a crop nearing maturity but a spring crop can undergo "hardening" against spring frosts, that explains how a seeded crop may freeze while volunteer canola thrives.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I see the weather network is dropping our low tonight another 2 degrees to -5... Our growing season looks to be finished... Par for course this year...
In our area they were forecasting -7c for tonight for the last few days but now revised it to -2c. looks like we may have dodged a bullet for now.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The day unfolded exactly as is shouldn't have. Snow stopped in late morning, slowly cleared off throughout the afternoon, sun came up briefly before sundown, most of the snow melted. Really flat barley is still mostly covered, Canola is mostly uncovered. Clouds all around us this evening, but clear overhead. Minus 2 already.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yikes! I'm hopefull for my own situation, the only crop I think that will be downgraded now is my durum, it's mostly doughy kernels, so I expect it will be down graded but it's still standing pretty good. Some is under water now (6" or so) that I'm pretty sure I need full set freezing like December before I combine that.

My chickpeas I nailed with glyphosate 5 days ago, so I hope that the green seeds will have started to change colour before the frost locks in the green.?

·
Registered
438 Posts
With respect to frost hardening, many years ago I believe some prof at the U of S explained how a plant, under cool conditions could take up a bit of salt from the soil to help lower the freezing point of its cells to a certain degree. My thinking is that this has more to do with the early stages when plants are taking up large quantities of moisture and nutrients, not when they are half done ripening. Wishful thinking I think....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.