what is the worth break down you have ever had mine is when the separator gear went on my 1979 ih 1440 combine at 11:00 at night and we were only not even half through harvest and we had to take half the combine to fix it but now it is running again
About 10 years ago, had a neighbor with an old 1480, with no feeder reverse, slugged the bean head auger, got out to back it up with rotor wrench, got in a hurry and threw it into the next pass, forgot to grab it, took off then sucked the wrench up into the machine on the next round. Wrench made it clear into the cage, apparently threshed around for a bit, had trouble spitting out of the beater, when it finally did it stabbed it into the fuel tank. He didn't know anything was wrong (was an older gentleman, really hard of hearing), until he came to the next tough spot, this time rotor slugged tighter than a wedge cause all the vanes were smeared flat. His light bulb went on when he couldn't find his rotor wrench. Soon found it when he noticed large fuel leak, it was stuck into the front side of his fuel tank like an arrow.
Poor guy I always felt sorry for him. He ended up selling it to the junkyard and hired his combining done after that.
I slung the #6 rod through the block of a 400-hour CDC reman motor on a 1991 1680 a few years ago, 2nd day of barley harvest in Colorado. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad - blew on Friday afternoon, located a longblock in Hoxie, Kansas (GREAT dealer, BTW) that day, sent the ol' lady after it and started tearing it down. It was back in the field Monday morning - would have been going Sunday Noon, but I needed a couple little pieces from town.
the driveshaft of the "schraegfoerderer"(it transport the grain from the grain plattform into the combine, i do not know how to explain)
The problem was that there was no replacement part at the local dealer. They said to us that we could have a part from france but we have to wait 3 days because of there were holidays.
The solution was that we ask a local company to produce a new one and it work very good for 3years right now!
i think the driveshaft from the loca company was low priced
Of all things, a cheap little low pressure hydraulic hose from the pto to the cooler blew and without any pressure sensors or other ways of knowing, the oil left the pto rather quickly and quietly, leaving me with huge bunch of metal pieces in the bottom of the housing.
Then, our local dealer, bless their little harts, ordered the wrong pieces in.
I was stuck with a 2188 rental for several days till my 1680 was back on its tires. I dont ever want to be stuck with a stock combine again in the seed business. I bought all the tools I need for testing the pto each season, and I may even be buying a reman pto this season just to have it on hand.
Had an '03 2388 still in warranty period of 1 year. Must have been a friday machine. First had the rotor gearbox crack a gear, when it was opened it was full of rust and oil. Then had the rotor coupler fail, not knowing why all the vibration was coming from the machine. Rotor was out of balance, which may have caused the rotor coupler to fail. With the vibration the frame that holds the back of the rotor started to crack up. Removed the frame welded it and finished the harvest. In the off season had the rotor balanced and fixed any problems that the rotor being out of balance caused. Started it up i the next season and harvest all the canola and started on the wheat. After four paddocks(fields) the header burned to the ground. Cause low pressure in the standy by pressure. let the brakes drag and got hot melted a line in the hydraulic lines and then it was a hydraulic oil force fed fire. No stopping.
Next day local dealer was let know and he oraganised another brand new combine for us and had it to us in four days after transporting it and delivery.
We still have that 2388 and it goes like a dream. couldn't be happier.
We bought a new 2166 that had many "improperly torqued" (finger tight) hardware. Whoever was running the impact wrench on that line station must have been new and not known his entire job.
When it was first delivered we commented that the separator seemed to run noisy, but the dealer assured us that it was ok. We'd run a pull type 1682 before that, so we figured that it must just be that a SP with the cab over the rotor is going to be noisier than being in a tractor 20 feet away. We made about one round in the field and noticed some very loud banging. Pretty much all the guts were ruined. The discharge beater was all smashed. The sieves came loose and were destroyed. The gears that drive the auger bed were all stripped. And many of the sheetmetal side panels were ripped by the shaker arms, or in the case of the discharge beater, were worn from the bearing block shaking loose.
We contacted the dealer, and it turned out that Case had sent out a bulletin to check for this, but the dealer hadn't bothered. All told, I believe there was around $10-20K damage. Since so much of the damage wasn't to typical "wear parts" it took about 2 months to fix. The parts weren't in service, but had to come from East Moline. Since it had about 1 hr use on a brand new machine, they replaced every single damaged part, no hammering it back to shape on an anvil and painting with a spray bomb.
We took our entire crop off with a loaner 1660 that year, and didn't have to make payments for one year. We also recieved an extra year of warranty. It's been a good combine since then.