The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is something wrong with the contour master on one of our s670's. When we hook up our header which is a 635F and engage auto height button (press 2 or 3 button on hydro handle) the header just goes nuts and goes side to side constantly . It also does this when machine is standing still and not moving. The problem is not the header because when we hook up to any of our other 635F headers it does the same thing, and when we hook up this combines header to our other combines it works flawlessly. Also we set the feederhouse tilt and auto height sensitivities the same as other combines and even tried lowering it way down. We swapped the feederhouse contour master sensor,reloaded the software to controller that controls this,swaped controller from other combine, crimped new pins and checked wires at single point header hookup and mechanic cant figure out problem. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
First, be aware that the smaller frame combines use a open center hydraulic (OCH) system, the large frame machines a closed center hydraulic (CCH) system. Settings and addresses are not the same.

LC1-134 left 3 digits: OCH lateral tilt deadband, 6xxF. Default 50
LC1-135 left 3 digits: CCH lateral tilt gain, 600F, Default 50
LC1-136 left 3 digits: CCH lateral tilt Deadband, 600F, Default 50

Make sure you have done the lateral tilt calibration on this machine. NOT the same as the header calibration.

YOu can look at the actual current/duty cycle value being sent to the valves:
LC1-77 right 3 digits: Tilt Left Duty cycle (0-100%)
LC1-77 next 4 digits to left: Tilt Left output current (0-999mA)
(left most digit is driver command 0/1)

Replace with LC1-78 for right valve.

If you compare the duty cycle and current for different combines in the same conditions, and they are the similar, then your valve is the problem (opening further on that combine). If the duty cycle and current are higher on that combine, then its still settings or electronics.

The header sensors or faceplate sensors would have no affect on this issue...its definitely a controller or valve issue.

·
Registered
514 Posts
^^^^^ way more specific than anything I was going to mention. I'll assume all the cal's have all been done. I would guess harness.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, be aware that the smaller frame combines use a open center hydraulic (OCH) system, the large frame machines a closed center hydraulic (CCH) system. Settings and addresses are not the same.

LC1-134 left 3 digits: OCH lateral tilt deadband, 6xxF. Default 50
LC1-135 left 3 digits: CCH lateral tilt gain, 600F, Default 50
LC1-136 left 3 digits: CCH lateral tilt Deadband, 600F, Default 50

Make sure you have done the lateral tilt calibration on this machine. NOT the same as the header calibration.

YOu can look at the actual current/duty cycle value being sent to the valves:
LC1-77 right 3 digits: Tilt Left Duty cycle (0-100%)
LC1-77 next 4 digits to left: Tilt Left output current (0-999mA)
(left most digit is driver command 0/1)

Replace with LC1-78 for right valve.

If you compare the duty cycle and current for different combines in the same conditions, and they are the similar, then your valve is the problem (opening further on that combine). If the duty cycle and current are higher on that combine, then its still settings or electronics.

The header sensors or faceplate sensors would have no affect on this issue...its definitely a controller or valve issue.
We did the lateral tilt calibation when we first noticed problem.We also tried moving the values up and down on the adresses you mentioned and didn't help. we also swaped the controller and it didnt help. I suggested to the mechanic yesterday mabey it is a valve issues but he didnt think it was possible so he didnt check that out. iIwill make sure he checks it out tomorrow i think that must be the issue. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Are you by any chance operating a flex header in flex mode and at the same time have auto header height control activated ? It’s been a long time since I’ve trimmed up the header functions on a John Deere, but I believe in flex mode combined with auto lateral tilt function, the auto header height should be off to prevent one signal set from reacting to the header positions caused by the other. In short the flex mode has its own auto height algorithm I believe. I don’t know for sure🤔. It should still accept cut height presets with just the flex mode on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No its not flex. The header is 630d and i can't callibrate it. When i start callibrate in 4 or 5 step it tells me that the right sensor is less than 1.2v

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our problem last fall was we couldn't get the contour master to stop bouncing. It ended up being a bad valve block. We put a new valve block and everything worked.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In 2014 some of the valve blocks on s670's were aluminum or some other lite **** they went back to steel after many were failing on the inside.What happened on a couple of ours was there are orfices threaded in on the inside and i guess because of the heat and preasure and the very lite material the threads would bust on the inside of the block,also had one get a huge crack on the outside from one port to another,it was mostly happening on the header control valve block but also had the engine fan drive speed control valve block crack.We had to pay for this even though they knew there was a problem because the new ones were a LOT! heavier cause they were made of pure steel.They called the change to the new blocks a "running change" that's why they didn't replace them through their PIP program.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Market - If your combine is telling you the Right sensor is < 1.2V .... that probably means it changes < 1.2 V.....its telling you what is wrong. Your "right sensor" is not working correctly. Look at your diagnostic voltages and see what the sensor reads raised & lowered. Should be ~4V up, 1-2V smashed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts