The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who do your own painting, what kind of sandblaster and paint guns do you use? I've been kicking around the idea of getting our own since I got a quote of 20 grand to paint our triaxle trailer last year. Am also in the process of putting a box off our old tandem onto another truck we bought so would like to paint it as well, and do up the old 895 some day. I wouldn't need something industrial but also don't want to go at it with something made for doing crafts. I have never done anything like this so it would all be a new experience, but for the money saved I could soon learn. Ideas?

·
Registered
896 Posts
For a paint gun, I just spent way too much money on a 3m Accuspray HGP. It's kind of a mix between a gravity feed and pressurized pot gun. It has replaceable and disposable nozzles and paint canister liners. It injects air behind the liner into the paint pot, forcing more paint into the air stream and giving way more consistent results than the HVLPs I was using before. It allows you to spray a much thicker paint if you desire. This also means you can spray completely upside down with it.

So far I really like the job the gun does, but it does feel a little flimsy when the pot is full.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
There's a guy in Oklahoma that's building a boat in his front yard. He's posted a number of videos of his sandblasting setup that he built himself, including this summary video on sandblasting and priming:

Of course he's working on a different scale than most of us. Be warned that if you find his work interesting, you could waste a lot of time watching his videos which are usually incredibly educational and interesting.

There's lots of info on the internet for making your own sandblasting pot.

You can rent commercial airless paint sprayers.

Got a neighbor rebuilding his fourth super B trailer set right now. He figures he can buy old rusted out trailers for a song, and then put $20 or $30k of work into them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
got three sandblasters here, but only one would be suitable for you .. a pot thingy that holds two or three bags with a long wand .. someplace out in the back shed, ten years old and never used, lol
As far as paint guns, you are likely going to have to thin whatever you use, can't leave two or three part mixes in the gun for very long ..

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
A commercial, air-powered piston airless paint gun can handle thick paint, even coal tar epoxy paints. Definitely need to run solvent through them to clean! With our house paint sprayer, we pump as much of the paint as we can back into the bucket. The hose has quite a bit of paint in it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
We painted our grain trailer a few years ago. I used a princess auto spray gun, the one with the 2 litre pressure tank. Had runs, but thats my fault not the guns. For sandblasting we tried using a small plastic venturi feed sandblaster. Gave up on that idea and borrowed a neighbors sandblasting pot. If you are sandblasting a trailer you definitely want a large pot with a big nozzle, otherwise with the little 50 lb venturi you will be sandblasting for days. For an air compressor we found out that ours (2 stage 60 gallon) couldnt keep up with the small sandblaster. Was a minute of sandblasting and two minutes of waiting. I couldnt imagine how bad it wouldve been with the sandblast pot. We had to rent a diesel powered screw compressor.

For small jobs I use the sand blast attachment on the end of a pressure washer. Works pretty good.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Can't help on the blaster, but I like my DeVilbiss guns. "Starting line" is a very good budget gun that seems more repeatable than any other budget gun I've used.

Results:

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
For small jobs I use the sand blast attachment on the end of a pressure washer. Works pretty good.
Do you like how that worked? Looking at buying something like that. I read the more gpm the better. Looking at doing some old tractors and thought the sand and water would do a good job.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you like how that worked? Looking at buying something like that. I read the more gpm the better. Looking at doing some old tractors and thought the sand and water would do a good job.
I use it on a 4.5 gpm 4000 psi pressure washer. Works good, never tried it on any big jobs though.
Mainly used it so far to blast rust spots on the stock trailer and just as quick as a small sandblaster . Still need to wear a hood though. When the water comes back at you, the eyes dont appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts