The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am intrested in hearing what everyone is running on their 10 in augers. We recently purchased a 10x46 meridian with a 35 hp Kohler. It had loaded out 6 loads never starts below plus five and now will not run at all. I am going to send this motor back to dealer as obviously it's a dud. I just don't know what to replace it with. I'm not sure w different 35 or 38 hp Kohler with a carbeurater would help. It would be nice to go to a EFI engine just not sure if enough HP is available. I would love to hear what the rest of you are using to power your 10 in augers.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I have a Briggs and Stratton engine (actually) a pair. When they were brand new I put honda small engine oil in them and they were fine for a few hours and then they lost power and had to be run on full choke all the time. Long story short I changed the oil to straight 30 weight Briggs oil and they ran fine ever since. That was seven years ago. I was always amazed by how much difference the oil made.

By the by they are 31hp Briggs on 10" 41ft vennings augers.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I had a 40HP Kohler and that pretty much cured me from buying anything Kohler ever again, although it was not EFI and I do have a 20HP that works well. It was a pig on gas, and when paired with the 1035 Brandt, was possibly the most unreliable piece of equipment I have ever owned!

I now have a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel and it's awesome! Maybe burns about a liter of fuel per semi load and starts perfect in winter, just need to have power to plug in the block heater. Has glow plugs, murphy switches and an hourmeter. I bought it from these guys: Frontier Power Products - Home Page

Sorry the picture is not the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
In terms of what you have now and the mystery issues, is there a chance water has built up in the fuel tank and now starting to enter the fuel filter/carb.

Another issue that can hamper start up is the oil being used as too thick an oil in cold weather will have a hard time getting oil pressure very soon while cranking an engine and it won't allow a spark until it has oil pressure to trip the sensor ... on our 31 hp Kohler I disconnected that sensor although that prevents it from shutting down if it pukes its oil out from a blown crank seal as an example. I use 0W-30 all year around in our engine.

Also, was there any sort of drag on the engine such as the auger belts trying to turn ( all depends if you have a clutch at the engine etc ) or the small belt for powering the hydraulics is trying to turn the pump with too thick an oil in the hydraulic system.

I don't have a 10" auger ( ours is an 8"x46' ) but I have heard locally of good experiences with the Briggs Vanguard 35 hp on the 10"x41' auger size if that's of any help as the same person had fights with the use of a kohler and threw it off and went with the Briggs.

·
Registered
552 Posts
We have a 38 hp kohler on our 10x46 had the same problems last winter when we first got it switched to premium fuel and that made it a lot better. This winter just using regular fuel so far has not been a problem had it going today it was -25 here

·
Registered
469 Posts
35 hp. vanguard,10x 38 westeel, makes it work but can load super bee's in 15 minutes. on these engines it is best if you vent the crank hose to the open air and plug the hole on the intake. had a problem with condensation freezing the carb between loads.water continually drips out of the vent hose.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
35 hp. vanguard,10x 38 westeel, makes it work but can load super bee's in 15 minutes. on these engines it is best if you vent the crank hose to the open air and plug the hole on the intake. had a problem with condensation freezing the carb between loads.water continually drips out of the vent hose.
We have a 36hp kohler on our 10"x41' auger, works great. We have pushed well over 1.5 million bushels thru this auger and motor with really no issues with the motor so far. We run with 0-40 oil in the winter. Any time the weather is below freezing we also pull crankcase vent hose off carb, otherwise it would freeze carb fairly quick.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Have a 35 hp vanguard on a 10x41 wheat heart runs fine but is a load for the engine trying to run full bore. Can load a b train in 20 min with me moving the truck. Have a electric pan heater siliconed on crankcase that seems to help alot. The worst part about the engine is the choke will freeze, right where you adjust it by the key switch and throttle.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
FD851D-DFI Kawasaki, might be a tad bit small for your particular auger at 31 hp but fuel injection is sure nice in the cold and for anyone that don't understand how a choke works and with the water cooled it don't leave nice places for the mice to build nests. Only downfall is you can't just run some old battery that wouldnt quite start something bigger on it

·
Registered
916 Posts
Why not an electric motor? I have a couple 10"x39' meridians one has 12.5 hp 1Ph and other is 15hp 3ph. Keep an 8"x31' FK with a honda for field bins or just use the vacs. If you need a mover just put a smaller honda on to run it.
Thanks CaseIh , I was just going to ask that question. We have power to all the bins so why not a electric motor, other than moving I guess. I was thinking I would just use the skid steer, or would a little gas pony motor be a better option.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
hehe just got a barely used auger with a 27hp Kohler moter, second load, oil pouring out the main seal. Bearing went out on the ****ing thing. Engine under warrenty so Flamans exchanges it with a new one, get new one on and unit wont start.......spent 2 days working on the **** thing. Finally found out theres a magnet that slams on the fuel intake so the unit wont back fire when you shut it off. Figure that old fuel gelled up the magnet causing it not to work. Anyway not to impressed with the Kohler

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I found on my Kohler 35 hp that you need the warm air from the exhaust kit and you have to advance the throttle about 1/4" before you try to start it. Mine won't start either if throttle is set at slowest. Have an older 40 Kohler (now called 38 hp) and the 35 is a way better motor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.