The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you ever wish someone had told you what they learned that would have saved you the time and/or expense of learning it the hard way? I've always told the dealer that the new owner could call me about something I've traded in. I always like getting the perspective of someone who has a machine "dialed in" and like to pass on those types of things as well.

Well, here's my question -- as a first time CaseIH combine owner (7120), what would you like to have known earlier to make the machine perform well or to catch the quirk before it becomes a problem? What setup decision or check point would you say "really needs to be done"? You know what I mean -- the things that make the 2nd year much more fun than the first year machine.

I also made this post on AgTalk. The first response I got said to post it here, so here 'tis. (This must be where the techs come!?!)

Seriously, thanks to all the trained techs and school of hard knock's techs who post here. Always lots of good stuff.

Thanks,

·
Registered
581 Posts
Gosh I hope someone answers as we too just bought our first red machine ever, a 7120 as well. I'd like to know what parts I should stock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have an open mind to suggestion. I don't know what kind of machine you are familiar with, but this thing is different than anything you have ever ran. Alot of the adjustment you will make are exact opposites of what the "norm" is. It is a very simple machine to run as well as very comfortable. Hope your experience is as good as mine has been

·
Registered
463 Posts
There are some things that we need to know first to help you not stumble with crop settings.
What crops are you planning on harvesting?
What do you have available for modules?
What headers do you plan to run?

There are some things that can be stated without knowing those.
The bottom sieve do not use this as the first attempt to clean the sample, unless it is visually way to far open. Closing too far will cause cleaning fan air channels to plug.
With the auto crop settings, most of the time the concave opening is way to far open.
There are two grease zerks on the right side for the chopper. The outer bearing (very visible) and an inner bearing.
On the unloading auger, don't forget to lube the chain tensioner itself (metal and metal need lube). Chain lube works just fine with auger running.
To get mirror lights to work, with the turn signal (left right left center) should turn the lights on the mirrors on.

If I think of more I will add to this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few answers to your questions:

1. I have been running a JD 9760 with 8 row corn head and 30' MacDon draper. The 7120 will have the same size headers. I only stayed with the 30' draper because I can get to most of my fields without taking the head off.

2. Crops are corn, soybeans and wheat (SRW).

3. Modules for the 7120 are:
Corn/Beans - large wire in front and large skip wire in rear.
Wheat - small wire in front and large wire in rear.
I've been told that I may need round bar in front on higher moisture corn on some years.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you have problems with rotor loss in corn, I would put a skip or two in the front to get the corn faster. Looks like you have a good plan for the other crops.
Round bar will probably be needed if the corn is over around 25% or you have a problem with leaves plugging the large wire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts