The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just trying to decide what size older machine to get for small acrage? I currently am cutting about 40 acres rye and a little corn most feilds are small maybe 8 acres largest is 15 different every year am using a 45eb now am looking at maybe a 4400 4420 6600 6620 any thoughts at what would be best?
largest platform that would be practical is probably 15 foot thanks steve.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
But in all reality the price difference isn't that great and why not spend that extra $1,000 for that much more machine, plus 6620's are everywhere, 4420's are a little more scarce

·
Registered
131 Posts
i usually cut around 200 acres a year with a 4420, 13 ft head 5 row narow corn head . think i am going to look at a 15 ft for beans this year thought. if given the chance i would and will some day up grade to a 6620 simply for the hyrostatic drive .but we have small fields and the little machine is in good shape and i get along well with it and most importantly its payed for!

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I am sure that a 7720 is more machine than you would need but up here the big dealers pretty much send them to the scrap heap. There are several for under $8000.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
A 4420 is plenty of machine for those acres, so it comes down to what you can find around and for a fair price. There's a guy around here who used to do 800 acres/ year with a 4400. A few different crops, so the harvest season was spread out some. Hydrostat on the 6620 is a plus for sure. Consider how much shed room you have too. You are making the exact switch I made 2 years ago! Did you have a 2 row head for your 45 or didn't combine your corn?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I have a 3 row 235 corn head that works real well and a 10 foot grain platform but everything is getting a little worn and parts are getting scarce.i probably will still do my corn with the 45 for a while unless i can find a package deal that loks good .Thanks to everyone for thier input still looking for the most bang for my buck. Steve

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
A 3 row head on a 45 must have made the old girl snort once in a while. That would be fun to watch / run though. We had a 40EB, but never had a corn head for it. What I found was a 4420 with 2000 hrs, 4 row corn head, and 13 ft platform package deal for around $15k. I do not necessarily believe I got a good deal, but it was close enough to home to drive it which saved potentially $1000's in shipping, and I liked the relatively low hours. It also had fresh receipts for about $5000+ worth of service in the tool box, so that helped the decision. I find it hard to believe that people are throwing away 7720's because they are "too small". That's amazing, and sad

·
Registered
566 Posts
I agree that would be a real fun machine to run in some wheat or oats. I would think a 4400 would be about the best choice. Dont forget about the 3300's.

·
Registered
131 Posts
we had a 3300 before the 4420 and to me it was a big step up .ours was a gaser so a tank or 2 a day and it had heating problems cutting barley in june .i would take another 4420 but not another 3300.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't think people are throwing away 7720's because they are too small. I'd say it's because 7720's are a 20-30 year old machine and they're well past their prime, I'm sure most of them are just plain shot. I've seen a lot of them that were shot a long time ago. They were good in their day, but that day has come and gone many moons ago.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
True enough, just something I said. Seems there's always some low hour old machines somewhere though.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah, I agree on the part about the 7720's.

Those older deeres in that range from 7720's to 88**'s are pretty popular where I am in the hills, I dont hear of many breakdowns and they are *Cheep!* like the birdy.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
They're cheap to buy, but expensive as heck to maintain. Just comes with the territory of owning a machine that old. That's why they're being scrapped out. Not worth the time and money to keep fixing them up and keep them going most of the time.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My CaseIH dealer has these on his lot. I don't know if this is expensive or not. They are combine only......

1983 John Deere 6620 Combine ? hrs. $12,500.00
1980 John Deere 7720 4WD Combine 3273 hrs. $10,800.00
1980 John Deere 7720 4WD Combine 4590 hrs. $9,000.00

They also have heads but I'm not good with the JD numbers to know what is what.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
If it's a 200 series head it's what was orginally designed for that year of machines, but you can retrofit the 900 series heads to the **20 series as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found a fairly low houred 4400 that has mostly run wheat soybeans the augers look real good rasp bars and concave also are decent with a 13.5 platform .It looks like most maintaince was done well. barn kept and very affordable so I will figure to get a few years at least out of this machine while I keep my eyes open for an upgrade . Thanks to all for your comments Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts