The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting conflicting opinions and I thought I would float it out here. We just purchased a 2188 and I am looking for a 1020 straight cut header. The main use will be on irrigated solid seeded soybeans. We have fairly flat land, and some are telling me get a 30', while others are saying no more than 25', as the combine will me maxxed out. Yields in our area so far have been in the low to mid 50's for the high end of the scale. What do you guys think is a decent size header given the above information?
Also, how important is automatic header height control and is dual drive preferable to single drive?
Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you've got flat land then I would go with a 30'. Thats what we run on our 2188. As far as auto header height, the head you buy and your combine should both have it, its kinda a must unless you want to sit and watch that indicator on the right side of the header.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I definetly think that you should have a 30 foot. When we added a 2388 to out existing fleet of 1-2144 we debated between a 25 and a 30. Dad bought a 25 foot even though I wanted a 30. After doing 90-100 bushel wheat at 4 MPH dad decided that we better get a 30 foot before we got into soys. Now have a 30 foot draper on a 2588 and a 36 foot on a 6088 as well the '44 is still kicking around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Definitely a 30' with field tracker would be the way to go even with fairly flat ground. If you have any roll at all on ground the tracker will be a must.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This thread is well covered, but i have a question. I learned this year that a 22.5 on a 2166 is fine until you get into short beans. Then forward speed is limited by knife speed, not power, or capacity. I was told to go with a 25' on that machine, but my door is only 25' and i like to be able to drive right in.

So i learned a reason to go bigger, what are the reasons to go smaller?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Go with the 30ft. We had a 30 ft on our 2188 for 10 years till we traded on the 8010. We cut 100 bupa wheat, and 50-60 bupa soybeans. In wheat we could go 3.5 mph, in beans we could run 4.5-5 mph.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
watglen i can only think of three reasons to go smaller: Price, terrain and not having to take the head off to move. If you do lots of small hilly patches then a smaller head is probably faster in the long run, but if you have big flat patches it is probably worth the time to take the head off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts