The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally finished harvest yesterday, now comes cleanup and put away. We currently run a 100' pull type sprayer but will upgrade this winter. Am leaning toward a used Deere but am curious as to what others run or won't run. We would be spraying probably a total of 10-15000 acres over the season starting with spring burn off running through to some post harvest weed control. Guess my big question is, what are the big issues to watch for on various units. I know drives can be costly and time consuming repairs, any other major things to watch for?
Thanks all.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Maybe this is a stupid question but why are sp sprayers so popular, i mean you got the tractors sitting there anyway you might aswell put the hours on it and thus improve your bottomline by not having a peace off ( in mho ) very expensive equipment extra to maintain and pay interest on pull type sprayers are way cheaper.

Bo

·
Registered
69 Posts
well massey, in our case we don't have that extra tractor sitting around. We also spray 15,000+ acres a year while plowing fertilizer into the cotton, using up to seven tractors at times. so not having to pull a tractor off something which just makes things drag out longer is great. Plus, in our case, to get enough spraying done it required three tracors with three 90ft. 3pt. booms to stay on top of everything. less operators and in most cases less money.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:Maybe this is a stupid question but why are sp sprayers so popular, i mean you got the tractors sitting there anyway you might aswell put the hours on it and thus improve your bottomline by not having a peace off ( in mho ) very expensive equipment extra to maintain and pay interest on pull type sprayers are way cheaper.

Bo

We also don't have that extra tractor around all the time. Like most people around us we use SP sprayers because it doesn't mash as much crop down. We top dress our wheat with N and other chemicals, also spray round-up on our soybeans. We also sidress our corn with N when it is about 2 ft tall. Also the SP rides nicer.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Guess that answers my question i dont know about the ride though a tractor with frontaxle and cab suspension rides mighty nice.

Bo

·
Registered
22 Posts
We looked at most sp sprayers, went to many auctions. Finaly local case dealer suggested a good used 4260 from a large Coop. A clean and well maintained machine ran by the same operator its whole life. One of my best machine buys. Plenty of power handles great in our rolling terrian, 1200 gallon tank, 90 foot booms. Recently purchase 20.8 38 tires and rims to apply pre-emerge. 2 years later 600 hours of use, we estimate 15,000 acres applied, this machine has not been broken down 1 day, we have not spent any money on repairs. Wish I could say this about other equipment we run. good luck reddear

·
Registered
22 Posts
jester, sounds like that 4710 treated you well, 800 gallon tank on 4710, is a little small, when appling 50 gallons per acre of 28% plus herb for corn, 1200 gallon on the 4260 is not big enough in the spring crunch time, but it gets us done. Most acres we use nh3 in the fall. How does the 4710 handle on the road loaded with product. have to go haul beans. take care reddear

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I am on my second Nitro. This one is a 2275 with a 1400 gallon tank and 90 foot booms. I will not consider anything with rear booms. Nitro makes a very good machine that will take a beating.

The visibility with the front booms is unmatched. I usually run my booms at 30" height over terraces without automatic height. The rear boom guys around here rarely go below 5 feet. I consistently spray within 1' of fence posts with no fence-line nozzles. If I misjudge distance and hit a post at 12 mph, the boom tip folds out of the way and returns automatically with no damage. Try that on any other boom and you will be making a trip back to the shop.

If you look at a used Hagie, check for weld cracks. Their welding design engineer must be family, anybody else that bad would have been fired by now. My first front boom was a Hagie 284, a big step up from a JD 6000.

Deere has been playing catch up on tank size since the 600. The engineers are in corn country and can't envision doing anything with a sprayer other than herbicides. Operators claim the ride is good, but who designs a sprayer that needs front end weights?

AgChem was the first with a modern type self propelled row crop sprayer. Everyone else had to play catch-up with them. Their designs are a little tired now but they are good quality equipment that last a long time. If coop operators can put 5,000 hours on them and they still run, they have to be tough. A local operator is a stout fellow, he rubs a lot of dirt off the machine getting into the cab.

Nobody runs CIH around here, so I don't know much about them.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
I know a couple neighbors that run case sprayers the smaller and larger capacity machines not sure what the model number is. They seem to like them alot. I do know that case sprayers are quiet and incredibly smooth. We run a JD 4920 and it is a great machine when it is actually in the field, our first 2 years with it was a nightmare luckily it was all on warranty. We just finished our 3rd year with it and it worked great with only one minor breakdown. The first generation 4920 was crap but the later years and the 4930 seem to be very good. The best thing JD has going for them is the whole integration of components into a machine (autosteer, spraystar, and swath control) very user friendly. We have since traded up to a 4930 for next year. Our neighbor had a JD 4700 and it was flawless, I think they changed a hyd hose after 6 years.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:I know a couple neighbors that run case sprayers the smaller and larger capacity machines not sure what the model number is. They seem to like them alot. I do know that case sprayers are quiet and incredibly smooth. We run a JD 4920 and it is a great machine when it is actually in the field, our first 2 years with it was a nightmare luckily it was all on warranty. We just finished our 3rd year with it and it worked great with only one minor breakdown. The first generation 4920 was crap but the later years and the 4930 seem to be very good. The best thing JD has going for them is the whole integration of components into a machine (autosteer, spraystar, and swath control) very user friendly. We have since traded up to a 4930 for next year. Our neighbor had a JD 4700 and it was flawless, I think they changed a hyd hose after 6 years.

Pretty much a carbon copy of our 4920 experience. This year went fairly well but had some electrical gremlins. Mainly wiring harness problems were zip ties were pulled too tight cutting wires inside.
We too have a new one on order for next year. Have 2500 hrs on ours.

·
Super Moderator
3,467 Posts
Quote: The best thing JD has going for them is the whole integration of components into a machine (autosteer, spraystar, and swath control) very user friendly.
Agree. And include tractors and combines. When it comes to this kind of thing, Deere is simply the best.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Quote:I know a couple neighbors that run case sprayers the smaller and larger capacity machines not sure what the model number is. They seem to like them alot. I do know that case sprayers are quiet and incredibly smooth. We run a JD 4920 and it is a great machine when it is actually in the field, our first 2 years with it was a nightmare luckily it was all on warranty. We just finished our 3rd year with it and it worked great with only one minor breakdown. The first generation 4920 was crap but the later years and the 4930 seem to be very good. The best thing JD has going for them is the whole integration of components into a machine (autosteer, spraystar, and swath control) very user friendly. We have since traded up to a 4930 for next year. Our neighbor had a JD 4700 and it was flawless, I think they changed a hyd hose after 6 years.

Pretty much a carbon copy of our 4920 experience. This year went fairly well but had some electrical gremlins. Mainly wiring harness problems were zip ties were pulled too tight cutting wires inside.
We too have a new one on order for next year. Have 2500 hrs on ours.

The Jd Tech that did all the work on ours told us that they put $100,000 of warranty parts into the machine. Deere stood behind their product tho cause they gave us a 2nd year of warranty for free and even had a engineer come out to our area and ride in the sprayer. It was hilarious the engineer had only driven it on a airplane runway and he designed components of it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a joke going with the Deere guys about needing a riding mechanic last year just to keep this thing going!!

1 Day alone I had to call them out 3 times. The second time the guy hadn't even got back to town yet when something else broke.
Last winter ours spent all winter in their shop being worked on (under the extended warranty) The welded up the frame (reinforced it), put a new boom on, put new shims in axles etc. They never did get the A/C fixed though.

·
Super Moderator
3,467 Posts
Quote:It was hilarious the engineer had only driven it on a airplane runway and he designed components of it.
We might have better equipment if engineers had less screen time and more real world experience.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
The AC does suck pretty bad, I don't want passengers otherwise it can't even keep the temp at bay. We never had frame issues but lots of electronic stuff.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Frame cracked where the holes are that the hoses run thru for the axle width adjustments. Front ones are the ones that cracked but the reinforced all of them. The 4930 I saw had the same thing done to it.
Ours wasn't near as bad as some they did. Deere field engineers are the ones that came out and worked on the frame.
Have you had any boom cracking issues? First side broke early into the second season. Weld started cracking and went all the way thru from there.. Like to have lost that whole side.
Then late in the second season while looking for problems to be fixed I found the other side starting to crack. Just small cracks but they replaced it.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
Nah, no boom cracks, we have a pin that operates the full boom breakaway that likes to crack every couple weeks. We have a Autoboom boom levelling system so it is very gentle on the booms.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
If your machine has the full boom breakaway there is a cylinder that keeps the booms straight but also lets the booms "break" up to 30 degrees. Well where that cylinder connects to the centre boom section almost exactly in the middle of the machine (side to side) there is a pin. This pin has a hole in it that also for it to be greased, it likes to crack.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Is this on the 120 ft boom?
Ours has the full boom break away. The cylinder for it is attached with large diameter bolts.
Like 1 inch or so.
No greasable pins that I know of. But now I will have to look it up on JD Parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts