The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently run 2 JD 9860 combines.Looking at CASE-IH 8120 c/w Macdon headers,NEWHOLLAND CR9070 c/w HONEYBEE headers,JD 9870 c/w 635 headers. Can pretty much buy either for the same price. Just wondering if anybody has any constructive thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Re: WHAT TO BUY

I also run a 9860 and 9870. For your area I would buy the Case combines for sure. They are not as high capacity as the new hollands, but are better than the deere. The 635 header is widely unproven yet and the MacDon heads have been out long enough to get the bugs out. I never did care for the honeybee heads that I ran.

I think you will get a more competitive bid out of Case or Deere when you trade again because of the competition in your area of Alberta. The Deere machines have the best gps and autosteer systems on the market, but the Case combine is probably 10-20% more capacity in wheat/canola/peas/barley than the deere combines are. My 9870 with the longer precleaner screen is way worse than the 9860 in peas. It seems that the longer chaffer extension has more peas rolling and bouncing out the back. They must fall through 3 levels of sieve/chaffer in a 9870 vs 9860 with 2 levels. Self leveling shoe is nice in Case machines.

Possibly throw your sprayer in and see if the multiple deal will get you a new sprayer for free?

Make sure you get duals on your new combines. They turn worse, but because they are wider the str cut headers seem to follow the ground better and are way more stable if you put a bin extension on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

We currently have duals on our 9860's. The new ones are priced fully loaded c/w lateral tilt. Would never buy a combine without duals.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

Either way get the macdon. Also the case :as a great yield monitor and trimble gps which is more accurate than deere... Or so many have said and the numbers say it should be when u compare

·
Registered
791 Posts

Talked to a fellow with a 9760 helping a son in law with 8010. Capacity similar for a similar loss. 8010 uses 1.5x fuel and had many small breakdowns , a total of 5 days lost at harvest. Why would you want that stress? 9760 never had one issue in 126 hrs.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

The Deere gps unit is not the best just based on accuracy. The Deere system looks like it was part of the equipment and designed to be an integral part right from the design stage. It fits in so nicely, the resume buttons are in a perfect spot and everything just feels right with it. A trimble system just looks and feels like an add on after thought. And yes I do own 2 trimble units.

Fuel usage. The 8010 is what 440 hp? and the 9760 is 340 hp, so it stands to reason that the 8010 will burn more fuel. A 9860 also burns way more fuel than a 9760 and the 9870 is 440hp so it will probably burn about the same amount of fuel as an 8010.

Don't know if you bale straw or not, but an 8010 will let you drop the straw and still spread the chaff, which a deere will not.

Both are good machines, with lots of dealers and parts. Resale will be good on both. I would also second the motion to buy a Macdon header no matter what color combine.

·
Registered
178 Posts

i owned a 8010 the last three years with hardly any trouble now traded for the 8120 with 40ft 2152, last year was harvesting with a 9860 with 36ft header and could keep up with the 8010 39ft header and the deere had around 500hour on it and had nothing but trouble including he was down for 5 days due to the injecters going on it.
as for fuel useage fjflip you say the 8010 used 1.5x the fuel but i could pretty much guess it would have harvested more than the 9760. carnt go on fuel per hour to get a better understanding on fuel useage it should be on fuel per tonne.
for resale i carnt complan about my trade as i paid $460000 3 years ago. with 1300 rotor hour on it they give me 400000 back for it so i carnt complain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts