The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a new 1/4 section to farm this upcoming year. The last guy farming it retired and helped me get it leased. He harvested it and dropped straw in windrows last year and never got them baled up. I no till all my acres and seed with an 1895 JD drill. Other than finding somebody to probably rake and bale the rows which I’m not having much luck to get done in the spring would there be any other way that I could still keep the no till program and get through it with my drill? Not sure what to do never had this situation before just curious what you guys think. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be a last resort. I think if i burned the residue off this ground it would blow pretty bad. It’s fairly sandy soil.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'd be tempted to try running a 3 point mounted bush hog over them. I plan to do that with some short canola swaths and piles that were too snowy to run through the combine last fall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you’ve had an experience with that don. That is a good plan if the pickup head would get it good enough after being packed down all winter.

·
Super Moderator
3,077 Posts
Sounds like you’ve had an experience with that don. That is a good plan if the pickup head would get it good enough after being packed down all winter.
Hope so!
I have to run actual crop swaths through in, well, not April, but May.
My renter would likely prefer I leave elevator doors on, ha ha!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I recently picked up a new 1/4 section to farm this upcoming year. The last guy farming it retired and helped me get it leased. He harvested it and dropped straw in windrows last year and never got them baled up. I no till all my acres and seed with an 1895 JD drill. Other than finding somebody to probably rake and bale the rows which I’m not having much luck to get done in the spring would there be any other way that I could still keep the no till program and get through it with my drill? Not sure what to do never had this situation before just curious what you guys think. Thanks
Hit it a couple times at different angles with heavy harrows on a hot sunny day, and your problem will disappear!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Run them through a combine and chop/spread if you want to preserve residue.
Already combined straw runs through really easy and the overwintering makes it even more brittle.
Close sieves, take elevator covers off to keep crop material out of hopper.
Sounds like a really expensive way to spread straw!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will have to see if I can get a neighbor to rent their harrow out for a day. Might safe a little wear on the combine that way. Just not many harrows around my area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also the best.
I do agree with that. Just not sure I should spend a day combining when it’s seeding time. Not gonna be a lot of spare time this year. We are 2 weeks from seeding now anymore moisture will push that off longer. We were going a few days by this time last year.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Will have to see if I can get a neighbor to rent their harrow out for a day. Might safe a little wear on the combine that way. Just not many harrows around my area.
Either way its a wash I think. Either you run it through the chopper or harrow it twice.
I direct seed usually also, but if necessary eddy match has been used before.
If the ground is extra wet and depending what straw and wind and humidity is like sometimes you can get lucky and just the rows burn which isn't as bad as totally black corner to corner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Also the best.
I don't know of anyone that would go and run their $600,000 combine, or in your case, a $1,000,000 Claas combine to chop straw!! Plus, good luck picking up a swath of straw that has been pushed into the ground!! A set of heavy harrows twice over, probably a day or two apart, so the bottom of the swath could dry some from being pushed into the dirt, would work best! BTW... I've done it before, and it works! It would be faster and less expensive job, then running a combine at $350+ an hour!! Just my opinion Don, but you do seem to be a lot smarter than the rest of us!

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I would burn it. Then seed it at a slight angle. It will have cover fairly quickly as the crop comes up.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts