The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new cx 8070 that I got about 60 hours on before my :experienced operator " ran the auger into a power pole. I called my dealer to get a new tube. They got me one in a day and a half from Regina, only, it was the wrong one. They said the right one was in Regina also. I have been waiting a week and this thing isn't fixed yet. They can't locate the truck the tube is supposed to be on. I have lost several hundred acres of production and several hours of no sleep and frustration. I think maybe the fur is gonna fly this morning. I feel I have been more than patient. I was thinking of buying another one as it is an awesome machine but, if the parts support is this way I may think twice. May be I'll call the regional rep or something. Somebody is gonna get *****ed at today I think.( I feel like pun
ching my "operator" in the mouth also. (happens to be my father in law)

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Where are you located? Have you tried some of the big selling dealers like Novlan Bros, Millikens, or Robertson's. They might just have what you want in stock or maybe would take one off for you to get rolling.

The problem with changing companies is that everyone has the same kinds of problems. I remember replacing a flexplate on a wheel loader when I worked at a case dealer and 2 of the 3 came from Phoenix and the other one from Atlanta I think.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in western oregon and the nearest warehouses are in reno or regina. I was told this morning after a phone call that if I don;t have my tube later today they will bring me a machine til it gets here. I'm still rather irritated that the wrong tube from regina was fast and the right one takes a week. maybe got held up in customs or something. Why they can't track it is beyond me.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Brimm?

Try salvage yards. I'd sure think an 8010 tube would fit too.

If makes you feel any better, a neighbor to the north of me about a mile bought 2 brand new 8010s this year. I dont think the one had anywhere near 60 hours on it when their "experienced" operator put the auger into a pole.
I know it aint funny, but I cant wait till I see him next time. He's going to get no end of crap about that one. You'd think with all the other stuff they put on those combines and price they charge they'd put some sort of tree and pole sensor on the unload auger...........?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thnking the same thing, with the cost why don't they put a proximity sensor like a car has or a camera or something. No it aint funny but I have to tell myself it's just part of doing business I guess.
My dealer is corvallis ford newholland. I haven't called Brim to see if they had one. I would assume that corvallis would call them to get me goin. If I find out they didn't , someones gonna get it. They told me today they still can't locate the truck. if its not there in the morning I'm gonna demand a loaner. Its really gettin nuts and startin to piss me off. I didnt spend that kind of money to have it set. I really need it now, My fescue is really tough goin right now, my 2188s are down in the 2 mph range and it's all they want.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
You probably better do some calling. The interdealer "freindship" stuff only goes so far. They can or rather will only trade if the supply is high. It would be a longshot because metro new holland is not a combine dealer, but the owner Mark Christensen(sp) has contacts all over. He and the owner of the new holland store in Madras, Omar Ind. "Scott Russel" were new holland factory guys of some sort years ago before they started their own stores. 503-647-5577. Mark has been working with a huge dealer in ND somewhere and brought in that cr9070 that is running grass here locally.

We could not run tuesday because of weather, and may not run today for same. But when running, my ol' 1680 is doing 3.6 and up in ton and over fescue that was regulated, but at a lower rate than normal. What setttings are your CIH machines running?

PS: yeilds are all over the map here in hillsboro. I've had some just over a ton and I'm in a field now of some goofy looks like a cross between turf type and forage type "villagois"(sp) Pronounced vill-aj-wah, and last year even after the rain this variety did over 3,000lbs/acre, this year is less than 1300lbs/acre.

But anyway, that's just flat bs that they cant find a truck. They aint looking.
Every one of those things has a gps thingy on it. The part probably has'nt even shipped or they forgot to order it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If my tube isn't there this morning I may call brim to see what they have. I ran for a few hours yesterday but probably shouldn't have. We didn't get any rain down here but the humidity was way high.
I'm in turf type tall fescue thats irrigated,regulated and cut with 15 ft. mac don drapers. I sped up my rotors to 650 rpm fan about 550 concaves at 4.5 top sieve between 1/2 and 7/16 and bottom about 1/4 looks real good in tank doing somewhere about 2500 lbs/acre. alot of damp stuff on the bottom. maybe I need to put the spikes on the rotor over the grates but I just don't like to grind up the straw that much. what kinda settings do you run on your 1680? all our fescue has been fairly consistant so far. we have about 300 acres of fescue to go and then on to about 800 acres of perennial ryegrass.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Pretty close to the same. We have a pair of Kile flights on the front and run at 500 rotor cause I'm running helical concaves. Paddle fan at 480-500. The air-jet is running the .281" screens right now and is doing a good job., otherwise the standard chaffer runs the same as yours and the bottom is the same.

Here's a link to last years pictures.
http://combineforums.proboards42.com/ind....lay&thread=3384

Part 2. More pictures.
http://combineforums.proboards42.com/ind....lay&thread=2773

I too run the 15' mac don draper. I cut the draper frames and belts down to get another 10" of opening.

Oh ya, and here's a link to some pics of my new helical grates that may or may not interest you.
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=58962&mid=414412#M414412

Did the auger tube show yet? It better, or I'd be making some serious stink beyong the dealer level.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made the call to Brim at 8 this morning and guess what, they had one in stock. So as my blood pressure rose and my wife said not to have a stroke, I called the service mgr at corvallis and let him have it. They went and picked it up and put it on today at no charge for labor. The parts mgr called me a while later and said, and i quote: " I don't have acsess to salems inventory" Where I replied , and i quote " Ya got a f****n phone don't ya" I sure found it with a phone call. I also found out that they had called ag west supply in Harrisburg looking for a tube for a 8010. My cousin is the parts mgr there. To me the first option would have been the dealer up the road.
Then i got to the salesman and gave him a pretty hard time also. he agreed it was insane so he chewed on the parts mgr rear for a while also. all in all I got it back goin and it's smokin my 2188s big time. Our growth regulator didn't work that well this year and our fescue is huge because of irrigation and still quite damp in spots. been layin for 15 days too. been real tough goin this year for my 2188s in fescue

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Glad to hear its up and running again even though it was a rough experience.

Do you have any intention of keeping the 2188s? If so, have installed any aftermarket flights on the rotor front yet? Any one of them will work better than the stock ears, but the Kile setup is easier to install and way cheaper. http://www.kilemfg.com/2.html The only view of the cx they will ever see no matter what flights you have is the straw chopper, but at least they will handle tough stuff a little better.

Did you see the new deere walker machine run on demo in your area?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I can I am going to get rid of both 2188s and get another cx. It is an awesome machine. I did install the stewart steel axcellar on both rotors. alot better than the old elephant ears but some of our fescue is just extremely growthy and stays damp underneath in places. I have really been laying the windrows out wide to get it to dry. It worked well lastyear but this year has been tough. Deere has been after me to demo their new deal but I'm really not interested. I priced them before I bought my cx and they were 70 k more for a 9760 sts and the cx really impressed me and still does. just an awesome machine.
I liked the looks of your helical cut grates, looks like a great idea. Did I notice gordon bars on the front of the rotors? If so you are set up just like mine. They really seem to help get the seed out early and make the machine nuch easier to set. I had one of my 2188s plug up last night about 8:15 and had to put the wrench on the rotor to turn it. I'll be sore for amonth after that. thats the second time this year. Most plugs are dropping the rotor into low gear and lowering the concaves but no luck last night. I'm gonna have a good day today I can feel it. at least I'm crossing my fingers

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Yep, I have a full set of gordens, but only run them in various places depending on the conditions. Yesturday I removed 4 more and put spikes in over the first grate. The gordens work super when its dry and you dont want to overload the chaffer.

I dont blame you for wanting another cx. I looked at them a couple months ago when I was down visiting brimm about a tn95 tractor for the blueberries. Those machines are really setup nice for seed. Its really good to see other colors in the fields around here. I am getting so sick of only seeing green and red. Especially when the dealerships suck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ran my cx with my 2188s today for the first time. no comparison. tall fescue at 1.6 mph with the 2188s and 3.4 easily with the cx and could be much more. had to unplug rotors 3 times today and the beater once. this fescue is just tough this year down here. I look forward to perennial it will be much easier. only about 3 days left of fescue.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got a call from my local deere dealer yesterday,wanting to demo new deere combine. he said he ran along side newhollands and "the straw looked better for baling" I couldn't care less about the straw i told him, I'm not in the straw business I'm in the seed business. After a few minutes he said that his was getting more seed .I just thought yeah,yeah,yeah. I'm not a big fan of our local dealer .I agree that I'm sick of all the deere combines out here and believe me they are losing market share by the day down here, alot of former deere guys running cx now. Case/ih really dropped the ball down here with the 8010 I don't think anyone down here will buy red for awhile after that fiasco.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Could'nt agree more. Deere guys are trying to sell the red machines they took on trade, and the green dealer is trying like mad to save face. They're running scared.
We have that cr9070 running local and the green dealer just hates it when I keep telling him how great it runs. The owner is a former green owner. I tell ya what I wanna do just for fun since all our fields are highway frontage, is to get a silver machine in the fields....
Boy would the fur fly then or what.

Though I know the tough straw dont play well with the rotors, I'm supprised they're that slow. ?

I should finish fesce monday or tuesday.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's been so tough down here ,I'm thinking of shutting my 2188s down and finishing this field with the cx. We even plugged the feeder of the cx yesterday which I thought wasn't possible.
We are right on the willamette river and the moisture comes up off the river and holds in this straw some times, plus i have a pivot on this field and waterd the heck out of it when it was warm ealier. just thick, rank straw. Our balers are gonna love this year with all the straw we created. We had lots of clouds and some misty showers around til we got too much about 5:30 last night and I shut everything down. I have one plugged right now on the rotor I'm having to drop the concaves out to unplug. not a fun job but at least it's not 100 degrees I guess. I was running the 2188s about 1.8 mph yesterday with out too much trouble til the plug up. the cx was at 3.5mph

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Oh ya, being next to the creek'll do it.

If you dont mind, I may send you a message with my email. I'd like to hear more about your irrigation of the grass if you dont mind. I've been hearing some bits and pieces here and there, but dont know what the right timing and frequency might be. All of our ground is in the scoggin valley water district and pretty much every acre has a box on it. We've just been too afraid to experiment much with the cost of fuel and labor.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No problem. We've been in the irrigation game for longer than I've bee alive. we used to be big into the row crop game until they just about broke us. I tell people I know little bit about a lot of things but I know alot about irrigation. You can email me at
[email protected] and I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.