The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at replacing our old MF 760 with a 2188.

The '95 2188 has 3000 hrs. With it being the first year of 2188 production are there any specific things to look for?

Also, what should I look for besides leaks? Have read lots about broken rear axles, worn rotors, concaves, cracked sieve hanger mounts, final drive problems, what else is common?

I know nothing about CIH's and nothing about rotories.

It will be cutting soys only, still will use the old MF for corn. We should put less than 100 hrs a year on a machine that size so are hoping to get into something that will last decades.

One last thing, if we did start doing corn with a 2188, what corn head could I put on that I would be able to set to 38" rows?

Thanks,
JP.

·
Registered
594 Posts
844, 944, 1044 are 4 row wide heads. 864, 964, 1064 are 6 row wide heads. 884, 984, 1084 are 8 row wide heads. 800 series being the oldest, 1000 series being the newest. 2000 and 3000 series heads are newer but their numbering system does not differentiate between wide and narrow rows.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if your going to get a corn head for it spend a little more money and get the 1064 series head its the best corn head case ever made in my opinion, as far as the combine goes look at the grain pan underneath the rotor towards the front of it to see if all of the bolts are in it they have tendency to work loose and will crack the grain pan. another thing the clean out doors right on the front of the grain pan will vibrate loose and loose crop out.

·
Registered
998 Posts
3000 engine or separator hours? Either way not a lot of hours for its age, but Big $ items to check would be tin wear ie; transition cone, clean grain and repeats elevator housings; also drive axle couplings / splines on transmission and final drives. Most other "wear" items are not overly expensive or hard to repair / replace, but the ones above sometimes get overlooked and cost more to repair.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We ran a 850 massey steady up till last year and bought a 95 2188 at a auction with a few more hours on it. Things to watch for are and this includes newer machines and older as they're all the same basically are the hydro spline and coupler. It should be getting close to needing attention if it hasn't allready. Ours hasn't but it needs it. Shaker bushings(there's a upgraded heavy duty version) Axle splines can wear out and cost quite a bit to replace the rotor coupler. Check for cracks around the mounts for the front axle and around the rear pivot on the rear axle. Check the concave hanger pipe or steel shaft(depending on which one is in there) on the right hand side as well as the hanger on the left hand side. Check the cage for straightness as well. If it's been in rocks things may be out of line a little.

These are just a few of the things that I can think of at the moment. Allot of the others are just common things like feeder chains elevator chains and things like that.

I liked the combine for the most part. It's taken me a couple of years now to figure out some of the little quirks and how to set it but now that I've ran it for two years I'm starting to get things figured out. Biggest thing I like over the massey probably is the cab. Sure is nice to be able to stretch out a little. Capacity wise it's definatley bigger then the massey 850 but after dark or when the grain is tuff there isn't as big of differance as one might think. We've got a accelerator on ours and even with the rotor starts to rumble and make some awful noises when it's tuff chewing.

Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.