The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post as a new member. We are looking at upgrading our old combines to a newer one. Up until 2 years ago, the only machine I knew was Massey until we bought a 1460. The model we are looking at is a 2188.

What are the things that I should be looking at as "troublespots" or weak points on these machines when looking at the used combines?

Are there any advantages in a specialty rotor over a standard rotor?

Did yield/mapping monitors come with this model of unit as an option?

Do the standard spreaders do an adequate job of spreading heavy trash (irrigation) or should we look at an aftermarket add-on?

Our main crops up here are wheat, barley, oats, flax, soybeans.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We harvest alot of the same crops as you do and we did not like the specialty rotors very well for small grains. The specialty rotor will work but it is harder to set and usually have to run the speed alot higher to get it to thrash totally. Yield and moisture was an option but most that I have seen had it on them. We installed the case chaff spreader kit on ours and with the curved bats you should be able to spread a good 35 feet in normal conditions. As far as wear points the basic machine is the same as your 1460 only a little bigger. I would think that any of the problems that the 2188 had from factory would have been updated by now or were never an issue on that particular combine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Blackfalcon, that was exactly the type of information I was looking for. Your post helped a lot in clearing up some of these questions I had. If anyone else has anything else to add to this thread, please feel free to do so.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Your question has been asked before, so there are probably some threads in back pages. I don't know if there is a way to search, but I remember reading some pretty good advice on what to watch for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts