The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a clover next year for my toolondo block, there is a few paddocks which have the clover shown in the pictures, I'm thinking red clover as there is a touch of pink showing / forming on the underside of the flowers? However some leafs have white markings? Not sure the owner so hard to ask...

One neighbour grew arrowleaf last year...was a corker and has a thumping canola crop this year on that paddock...

Any help appreciated

Ant....

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd guess that it would be White Dutch. Just a guess though.

I did a little searching on the web for info about my Mamoth Red Clover. Interesting, it says that it grows 18 to 30 inches in height. Mine grows to about 48 inches, tips over in the wind and continues to grow.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers guys...I don't think we have much Dutch here but alot of white clover varieties...it was the pink on the bottom of flowers that made me scratch my head!!

Ant..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Ant

It's balansia clover, it's an annual and just loves the wet. The best crops I've grown are in swamps that have gone under water in the winter, easily producing 6 to 8 t/ha of hay.
It can be quite tricky to make into hay so it pays to sow a light rate of annual ryegrass or oats with it to help it cure.
Also pays to cut it with a mower conditioner and it will hurt if you press it green I've seen neighbours unrolling round bales and bursting into flames weeks after baling.
Typically it is a very easy crop to grow just takes a little more effort to get into a bale. It does pay thought over the last few years we've sold for $160 to $200 t delivered to southern dairys.

Good luck

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just saw the pdk pic, if you want to convert to cash let me know I have multiple buyers looking for protein hays. Can do the whole job and deduct contracting from hay payment if your keen

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have any in this year Aussie but next year I was going to put in 90 acres of it, maybe balansa and arrowleaf? Together?

I would like to sell standing if your interested? Or know of someone, I will grow, fertilize etc. it would be a way for me to cover doing the last bit of ploughing required up there (then it will sitting smick) and put some nitrogen for following wheat crop.

Is much hay sold standing?

Ant..

·
Registered
198 Posts
over the last few years we've been doing the hay with other guys by doing the full job and taking hay as payment for the job. Also helping with storage and marketing of the remaining tonnes for the customers.
If you can get a crop growing next year let me know if I can't help I'll be able to point you in the right direction if your keen

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers AM, yes I will be keen, I will try my darnedest to get it sowed, only real obstacle is gettin g the stubble burnt from this years crop as I will be in full swing in Portland, I will do hard and see if I can't get up there and bang in a fire break at some point, if I can get burnt and get a good burn will definaelty put it in, mainly to set up 2016 wheat crop.

I'd prefer to sell standing, but some arrangement can be made.

If I was to bang in some oats or barley what sowing rate..just 40kg ha enough? Will be hay oats or maybe hindmarsh but it didn't do to well on my block last year. I'm keen to give it a break from grass for disease etc...

Sorry to hear about your driver and moco that's not good...hope you can get the situation sorted.

Ant...

·
Registered
198 Posts
We used to do a mix of 5kg balansia 2.5kg of shaftal and 2.5kg of arrowleaf.
The idea was to create the bulk with the balansia, hold it up with the arrowleaf and create maybe a second cut or atleast some good grazing after the hay with the shaftal.
Adding a cereal to the mix really helps to make good hay but you miss out on a rotational break for your 2016 wheat crop.
If you do add oats I've found that only about 15 kg/ha works out the best, doesn't take over and lets the clover grow really well too

·
Registered
377 Posts
Cheers AM, yes I will be keen, I will try my darnedest to get it sowed, only real obstacle is gettin g the stubble burnt from this years crop as I will be in full swing in Portland, I will do hard and see if I can't get up there and bang in a fire break at some point, if I can get burnt and get a good burn will definaelty put it in, mainly to set up 2016 wheat crop.

Ant...
You can pick Banasia also by the centre leaf having a slightly longer stork and the young leaves in particular have a serrated edge.

I grow a couple of paddocks of Shaftal (persian) clover each year for sheep and also a break crop which adds nitrogen. I sow anywhere between 6 - 10 kg/ha in the autum strait into heavy wheat stubble. I have a Kuhn multidisk with an 8 run airseeder which will go into anything, and then water it up. You could probably just spread it as it grows like a weed.

It grows until December with a couple of waterings. At the moment my shaftal is not just up to the sheeps bellies, it is half way up their sides. Next year I will put more paddocks in and cut some for hay. It is possable here to cut it about now and then water it as soon as the hay is off and get another cut late November.

I dont know how much nitrogen it puts in but we get good canola the next year and the wheat the year after seems to need less nitrogen as well.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The best canola crop I've seen this year (and I know there is a million factors come into this) is sown where arrow leaf was sown last year..looks fantastic and has podded very well, not the greatest paddock but old mate is doing a good job getting the most out of it and cleaning it up.

Here is a pic of his arrowleaf from last year...

Aussie I will sow a mix, I have heavy flats to beach sand...and acidic...and no rain...but still gets big puddles...but it's way better than it was when I bought it, hasn't been cropped in over 40 years...

Cheers for the tips guys, appreciated

Ant...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.