The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some thinking; and that can be dangerous, about the "old" Axial Flow combine chassis and what they should do with it in the future.

For example, lets say they release a 2588, I would put the AFX style feeder face on with the single electric and hydraulic hookup on and clean up the feeder design to something similar to the AFX but still have the belt drive.(keep the cost down)
Similar two piece concave system as the AFX and leave the rest of the feeding and threshing system alone (single piece ones seem to get a little heavier each year, not the combines fault). Just update the sieve mounting and give me in cab adjustment. Chopper is fine as well as the chaff spreaders (late 2300 series with external adjust).
Unload system with higher capacity and the grain tank with the european style folding extensions as an option.
Use the AFX cab with the same gauges and controls as the 2300 series is fine (keep the cost down, only have to make one style of cab instead of two)
Give it a new body shape similar to the AFX and I think they would have a homerun.

What do the rest of you think? Got anything to add or take away from what I have proposed? Lets hear it.

BTW, only say 2588 as it would make sense since we have seen a 2188, 2388 so it is obvious right? If they do come with a 2500 series I just want you all to know I don't work for Case-IH. If you are reading this thread and you DO work for Case-IH maybe take the hint.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yeah ive heard the same as the last guy

which is fine.....i just don't want alot changed

I still want some of the great things like octagon bearings on shafts not round ones....and most of the nice features on the 2388

And hey will some idiot figure out how to keep the back axel from pileing up on the sides so that every time you turn on the end of the field it doesn't make a hump of bean straw

that and its kinda hard to get the cab air fliter out so change that too

Also i do like the 8010 cab....dad think's its kinda cheap

but it doesn't bother me that bad

i like the side post up front are smaller...

you sure can see alot in there

·
Registered
53 Posts
A couple of points... IMHO, the 2388 should have been re-numbered (2588?) with the release of the AFX rotor and the upgraded rotor drive capacity. The present 2388, while it looks the same, has a definite increase in capacity over the older units with the same number.

From the marketing side, it is always difficult to get someone to trade up ($$) to the same model, even though it has more capacity. Somehow, a 325 hp 2388 just doesn't seem right.

As far as what's next, look for continued rotor improvements (there's another one coming!) that will definitely increase throughput capacity.

CIH has an interesting dilemma. What do you do when you have thousands of very satisfied, late model 2388 owners who love their machines? As we all know, the 23 series is bulletproof. On the other hand, you have the 8010, which is proving to be another excellent machine with a great future. The 7010 and any other deriviatives will be the same way.

Do you risk alienating your existing customers by forcing them into the new models? Or do you continue to sell the 2388 series combines, at an excellent profit margin? The volume of the new series of combines must continue to grow to cover the R&D invested and start showing a return.

Having two winners is a nice problem to have!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You do this..

Take a 2388 and put the body of a 8010 on it

and don't change anything basically

maybe the cab.....but im kinda used to it

you are right...there in a good situation

Also on the cab filter why not something with three latches and pulls out towards you.

I have another reason why i don't like it...but its not its fault...just clumsy sometimes and drop it

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Quote:CIH has an interesting dilemma. What do you do when you have thousands of very satisfied, late model 2388 owners who love their machines?

Well you target the competition's customer base. Seems logical to me.

So that everyone is aware, the platform that is the 2388 is here to stay for many years to come. It might get renumbered, it might get the 8010 cab, but it is still the same core axial-flow that the 1480 started as. There are still $ going into the R&D for the 2388 platform, and I would like to thank CNH for that. I like how it is a simple design, and we all know that simple is good. And since most farmers and custom harvesters are already familiar with them, not to mention the parts supplies that everyone has, lets's keep on going with a solid machine.

The tier-3 engine has been a stepping stone for the R&D team. The air screen being relocated to the right side was also a big step. There are certainly more things in the pipeline right now, but I must admit, I haven't heard anything about a new rotor. Maybe something to counter the bullet rotor from deere? It's all about a catchy name, isn't it.

-Lance

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know there is develpoment work going on with the rotor. Don't look for a flashy name change or PR like the "Bullet", but look for more throughput soon.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It will be interesting to see how CIH introduces the new rotor. They sure did alot better job with the AFX than they did with the "specialty" rotor.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If Case IH is planning on increasing the capacity of their combines even more they'd better come up with some heads that are up to the job. Around here the 1020's have been maxxed out for a few years and the 2200 series corn heads aren't holding up as well as the old 1000 series. Several guys around here are looking at shortline heads and I suppose it's just a matter of time before the start looking at shortline combines like the STS.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree 100% Canuck that they slipped up when introducing the AFX rotor equipped 2388's AND again this year when they introduced the increased hp 2377/88 with the electronic fuel injection. They had two prime opportunities to change to a 2500 series label and then to the 2700 series, there was a noticable change in the machines in both instances. Someone was asleep at the switch in Racine/Moline/Grand Island/Burr Ridge, who knows. 2300 series has been around since 1998, thats 8 years which is 3-4 years too long in my book if I'm going to spend $200K+ on a new machine.
Big green has had the the 50 series out for 3 years and the 60 series out for three years now and I'll bet they introduce a new (70) series for the 2007 model year to counter the 7010 release in 2007. We shall wait and see.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Quote:2300 series has been around since 1998, thats 8 years which is 3-4 years too long in my book if I'm going to spend $200K+ on a new machine.

So if CNH was to change that one digit, you would feel better about spending 200K. Ok. Sure.

I've got a bridge here in Iowa, and I'll put what every name you want on the side of it.

The AFX rotor wasn't a name-changing event to me. It is an option, not a standard thing like the side-mount air screen was. I know some of the custom harvesters, who have been working with the AFX rotors prior to the public release, who still order combines with the specialty rotors. When you have a varied labor pool, you need the un-experienced combine operators to be able to hear the rotor before it slugs. I think since the AFX is so quiet, that is probably the single biggest reason not to go to it, specifically with an inexperienced operator. However, with an experienced operator that can "feel" what is going on with the AFX rotor, it then becomes a little better than the specialy rotor.

-Lance

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
THE 2388'S COULD STILL use some work

we rotate 2 yearly between us and another farmer

and it seems that we could make a list of a few things that yearly go out by so many hrs...

i can't tell you them off the top of my head

but some things like that and heavyer auger flighting in the grain tank

Also i think isukay (or however you spell it) was right

the change on the air screen and everything that goes along with it was a great deal and we are very happy with that change

we finally just got rid of the combine that was four years old and had the older style.....still wasn't bad..but not as good as the new one.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
increased hp 2377/88 with the electronic fuel injection.

is that a good thing????

i kinda heard deere went to that and now there trying to go away from that

maybe i was told wrong about that part even..

just thought id ask you guys....

thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts