The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We run a front assist 8335R on a 1326 J&M tracked cart everybody loves this tractor on the cart rides great with ILS works , IVT works great for loading trucks. But trying to drag 60000 + lbs up to the truck in a hurry is where it fails. Used to run a 9330 powershift but riding clutch warnings were always annoying and the rid wasn't the best. Had 9630T on it for a wet week this year, that took care of the low power issue but still has a powershift and we all know the track machines aren't the riding tractors out there. Will a chipped up 8R with IVT walk the dog or not? Just curious what everyone else is using

·
Registered
412 Posts
We run a front assist T8.435 on our 1100 bu wheeled cart. If has the variable transmission. The cart doesn't seem to pull any harder loaded as it did unloaded. The variable, which is like the IVT is the only way to go loading trucks. The suspended axle is a must too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I prefer a quad trac - the higher seat gives you a better view when filling trucks and its a smooth ride at higher speeds across the field also the cab is further from the cart for a bit easier view of the auger when being filled and narrower width when filling trucks on the road. I do like the ivt but not lost without it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We love the quad track on our tracked card. When it is good and dry we will run our NH 8970 FWA on it. It's an 1175Bu cart so not quite as big as yours but can still put a heck of a load on a FWA tractor. Ours is turning about 280 at the pto though

·
Registered
93 Posts
We use a 7280R fwd on a Brent 1082. It has 710 duals and the big 600 boots up front. IVT with suspended front axle and cab. We also equipped it with the heavy duty draw bar support. Only complaint is it doesn't turn that great with 50-60 thousand pounds in the cart. I'm sure front weights would help. We just let a bunch of air out of the tires and it seams to be tolerable. We used to use a 9430 on the cart but also had the clutch slip alarm warning. We were surprised how much you can see into the trailer with this size of tractor. We did get cameras installed on the cart and monitor in the tractor. Also with the IVT we are able to dial the ground speed low enough to dump into our bagger while unloading and match the baggers ground speed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I do agree a IVT with ILS tractor would be sweet for a grain cart tractor but not near heavy or powerful enough for a big cart compared to a big 4wd. Also for being able to see into the truck, it would be hard to beat a 4wd. I don't know why you would use the clutch for filling trucks when you can engage or disengage the powershift transmission without the clutch? When we pull up to the truck we make sure the trans is set to second or third gear then when the grain starts piling up we engage the trans...move ahead a bit...then kick it out again all without clutching.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The IVT/CVT is more for loading the trucks, I haven't driven a deere IVT, but the New Holland one, when loading a truck, you use the accelerator pedal to creep forward, you let off, and it holds you in place like a hydro. After years of running with a foot on the clutch, a foot on the brake, and twisting around enough to see in the truck while keeping a hand on the controls on the right side, it really saves your back after weeks of running one 12+ hours a day. The T8.435 we use is as tall, and taller than some 4x4's, so visibility out of it is no problem. I never ran out of power on our rolling ground with 60k lbs. Have a 30 acre field we had to go almost straight up the other side of a holler to get too. Loaded it up to about 36K lbs for that, crawled right up the other side. I was surprised there wasn't more wheel slip, but I wouldn't have wanted to test it any heavier.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The IVT/CVT is more for loading the trucks, I haven't driven a deere IVT, but the New Holland one, when loading a truck, you use the accelerator pedal to creep forward, you let off, and it holds you in place like a hydro.
I have done over 4000 hours on Massey DynaVT's now, the transmission is wasted on transport work. I could load trucks with a dry clutch and not burn it out.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Our challenger 865 is as smooth as silk on the cart I don't understand how the Deere could be rough. If it was power shift it would be awesome. We used to run a Deere like yours on ours as well but challenger is smoother and has the power to pull it. Exact same cart as yours on tracks.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
We run our MT865 on the cart and your can't beat the ride. The clutch is kinda finicky though.

Kinda wish they would put the auger on the right had side and just fold the thing every time. Years of pull type operation makes it crummy turning my head to the left. All the controls are to the right as well just makes sense.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We have a 485 case 4wd on the 1000 bu cart and I would not want to go to a smaller tractor for the reasons of the cart pushing around the lighter tractor and pulling hills with a full load. We have a 7930 with ivt and it is really nice but not nessary cause I can feather the clutch without causing any problems. Feathering the clutch in 4th rather than 1st or 2nd makes it a lot easier at full rpm. The case has road mode where you select the speed and it does all the shifting. I use that some times and tell myself it's like the ivt.

·
Registered
256 Posts
We run a front assist T8.435 on our 1100 bu wheeled cart. If has the variable transmission. The cart doesn't seem to pull any harder loaded as it did unloaded. The variable, which is like the IVT is the only way to go loading trucks. The suspended axle is a must too.
How do you like this tractor, have you used any other CVTs to compare it too?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got a tip for you guys who get buzzers when holding down the clutch on power shift tractors. A power shift, on a 8xxx or 9xxx deere anyway, can be used almost identically to a ivt. Simply command the transmission into 5f or 6f and r2 before you turn on the pto. Flick it into nutruel and don't touch the clutch. When you need to move forward just take your foot off the brake and click it into gear. The transmission will clutch itself any take off. To stop flick back to neutral and use the brakes to stop.
I pull a 1082 Brent with an 8230 and have never stalled it using this method, just keep the rpm up over 1300.
The only time I ever touch the clutch pedel in an 8000 is when making sudden stops.

8xxx's pull 1000 and 1200 bu carts around here no problem, river bluffs and all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.