The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall I'm new to the site and looking on some input on a combine. Right now I have a small 4420 John deere. I bleed red and all my other tractors are red. I don't farm much grain just enough to rotate my alfalfa fields and keep some grain for my cows. I would like to have a 1440 or 1640 IH but I know nothing about them. I can't go larger than a 4 row wide corn head or a 15' grain table becasue of where I live there is not a lot of flat land in eastern KY. I got the 4420 beacuse it was cheap and close to my place. Its a good combine and runns ok I just don't care for green much and when I just like the looks of the red combines. so I guess my question would be what RED combine would work best with a 4 row head and what to look for as far as wear and how many hours is considered wore out? thanks guys
DM01

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
we had a 1979 ih 1440 it was the best combine ever and our never had a straight cut header on it till last year so if it can handle a 24" 810 ih header it should be able to hold a 4-6 corn head and hour whise if you get a good one it can last for ever the highest houred combine i seen was a 1480 with 5500hrs and it looked like new but for me about 3500-4000hrs is wore out. hope this helps

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That the combine I have been looking for but its hard to find one in my area at all, and the ones I find in other close states have close to 4000 hours on them.
DM01

·
Registered
36 Posts
A 1440 would make a great 4row head combine would have great capacity. as fare as wore out look at the sheet matel if it has got cracks and splitting out it is best to walk away.

as fare as the motor 5000 hours is nothing for a 436 if they have been taken care of.
You can pick up a nice 1440 for $5000 and steel have some money to fix some worn out part. Good luck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only do about 100-150 acres at the most every year. I can work on anything but like all new things I know nothing about combines as far as working on them. The only combine I ever worked on was a old oliver 525 that my uncle had. I know how to run one and some of the dumb stuff that don't take a rocket sicentist to know. Are the IH combines pretty easy to work on compaired to the combine I have the 4420?
thanks for the input guys your really helping me out.
DM01

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Alot cheaper than rebuilding a walker..and easier.

can he put the afx rotor kit on that 14XX i think he can if i remember right...

so you would be upgradeing the rotor whenever you decided to take her out and redo it....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I started with a 1640. This was coming from no experience with any combines. They seem to be easy to work on, like the guys said simple. I would do it again in a heart beat. I run a 15' and 6rn corn head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Condition is everything when dealing with both 14xx and 16xx combines. As a red mechanic, I see a clear pattern when it comes to this vintage of machine.

There are the ones that are taken care of - that get properly lubricated, parts get replaced when needed, etc. These machines truly can last an extremely long time. If you can find such a cared for machine - grab it. Either a 14xx or a 16xx.

The other side of the coin that we see much more frequently is the machine that has been ill cared for and neglected. Possibly because it's a "second" combine for the operation, or the number of farmed acres makes upkeep seem too expensive, etc. These machines are run till something breaks, and then just the broken item is repaired. "Don't do any more than you have to" is the frequent request from the owner. At some point, the machine becomes un-reliable and gets traded in. Then somebody buys that machine and has it inspected. The resulting estimate to bring it up to par (not restore it, but merely restore some reliability) it usually far, far more than the entire machine is worth.

My intent is not to be negative, but to stress that picking the "right" machine is everything when it comes to older red combines. Yes, they will run darn near forever -- but not if they were run into the ground due to neglect first.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But I also don't want a machine that looses grain due to being wore out. How expensive is rebuilding a rotorbine compaired to a walker bine?
DM01

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I have all winter to search for a good one so I'm not pressured to buy one soon. The combine we have now will work. I only have about 25 acres of corn left to run and I'm going to cut all my wheat either for hay or plow it under for tobacco.
thanks
again
DM01

1 - 15 of 15 Posts