The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be that advantages/disadvantages of having wires going all the way up on a concave?
I cut wheat, corn, and milo and plan on ordering a loewen concave later this week, but I'm trying to decide if I need a 13 or 14 bar concave with wires all the way up or only half the way up.

P.S. This is on a 9600

·
Registered
778 Posts
I see that you already kinda asked this question back on page 2 and we all had a decent debate about it. Again, I think that the wires should be spaced 2 inches apart, not 1 like the original Deeres. If you do corn they should go all the way up to prevent large cob pieces from slipping through the concave before all the kernels are rubbed off. Add the PF Parts prethresher plate to cut down on walker losses and increase capacity.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have some corn inserts for the back of a concave if you choose to buy an oem like concave with wires half way back. Its easier to add the corn inserts than to add wires.
The reason I asked what kinds of crops and what climate is more important than I think even greentech thinks.
If you have tough, damp small bushel weight wheat with short straw 2" spacing will not be tight enough to thresh properly. Heavy, dry, with lots of straw would be easier to thresh and needs larger spacings for the seed to exit the cylinder area.
Beans and corn is another story but if we are talking just small grains, if you have hot climate and dont attack early in the seeds maturity you need an opened up concave.
PF thresher plate is a waste of money and I cant see how it "adds capacity" Your machine will not run any faster or hold more grain with a different concave angle plate. Its merely a front extension for a concave that is plugged off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up ordering a 13 bar loewen concave with wires half way up. I don't know if I made the best decision but it's already ordered.
I cut wheat, milo, and corn. Everything is harvested dry enough so you don't get docked at the elevator. Yields here in central Texas very from year to year depending on if we had a drought or not.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Id say the one you chose is the middle of the road or a more universal concave which was a good choice for the crops your doin. Loewan makes good stuff. I think loewan was bought out by A&I last year?

·
Registered
778 Posts
How would it not add capacity? It adds 3 more bars to the concave. And the fact that it's closed off means that you don't have to run filler plates in the main concave. The combination gives you more separating and threshing capacity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts