Quote:There are several changes in the 2588 to take note of...
1. Horsepower... 305 base boosting to 325. We ran this engine this fall in an 06 2388, and it is a very strong performer. For an electronic Tier 3 engine, it really performs.
2. Heavier rotor drive and transmission.
3. Factory hopper extension to 290 bushels. I know most people had one on already, but now the machine is built to take the extra weight... thus the 70% stronger second gear.
4. Faster unloading... 2.4 bushel/sec. There is a retrofit kit for 88 series combines.
5. Nifty vacuum system on the air screen to keep it clean.
6. Colour monitor, much improved over the past monochrome setup, with better software.
There are a number of additional mods as well.
This combine is still the best class 6 combine on the market... with no exceptions. From what I have experienced, the 2588 will run with most class 7's in the majority of conditions. There is still a huge market for this machine, and as other posters have noted, they should be in production for some time yet. Where possible, CIH is moving toward more commonality with the XX10 series. If you ever get to go to the plant at G.I., just watch the production moving down the line, and you will see that this is still the most popular combine that CNH produces.