The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to hijack the Viterra thread anymore than I had! Seems that there is some resentment toward FNA and other than the membership increases, I have no idea why....

Bob,
I sure like $2.50/L glyphosate, and none of the independents you mentioned were willing to do what FNA did to actually lower the cost of Glyphosate in Western Canada! Is that the honesty you talk about too?

I sure didn't like when FNA raised their membership rates after saying they wouldn't, but I got over it when they lowered the cost of wildoat chemical in the same way. I don't think that the independents would have done what FNA did with Aurora either. Many don't like that FNA won't sponsor local events, but I sure don't care about that either. I don't need my membership dollars from SE AB supporting a curling bonspiel in NE SK. I'd rather have that money in my pocket to donate to a local event (or not if that is how I feel).

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Since FNA's only source of income is from memberships I think members should be upset if fna WAS to sponsor events, that is not what they are here to do. Didn't really like when they raised the membership rates either, but with the credits you get for purchases it makes up for it anyway.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Since FNA's only source of income is from memberships I think members should be upset if fna WAS to sponsor events, that is not what they are here to do. Didn't really like when they raised the membership rates either, but with the credits you get for purchases it makes up for it anyway.
Hold up their oval man. You think they're only making money on membership? Thery're making money plus they did what they said they would never do. And one day they're in something (like fuel) the next day they're out.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Eff'n Eh may be taking credit for price erosion on glyphosate but that boat sailed long before they came on the scene. If you've had good luck dealing with them then I'm happy for you.

We all missed the boat when Ken Goudy was soliciting memberships in Focus on Inputs. Its probably 15 years ago now that he had the radical idea that he could make and sell glyphosate for $5 per litre. Nobody believed him at the time.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
i was not happy when FNA raised the membership fees after we were lead to beleive they would stay the same! But i have turned the page since. If not for them and guys like Allan Johnston there is no telling what the price of glyphosate would be. it is always FNA that seems to set the price. when i go to Viterra to buy something their price is always higher. tell Viterra the FNA price and Viterra will drop theirs. sponsering events is a good point. if a company has the $ to sponser events then they are charging us too much.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I was a member of Focus On Inputs and remember the lower water volume research work that was also done by FOI.
I don't know why FOI failed to reach their goal but I suspect Monsanto's sandbagging of patents (anyone remember the "formulation patent?) was a key reason, look how many are in the market now.
So while Ken Goudy blazed the trail it was the unusual case of too much, too early.
FNA came in at the right time, with the blessing of Ken Goudy, so the original groundwork done by FOI ultimately paved the way.

I have dealt with FNA and have had no issues, even taking a car of fertilizer some years ago. Can't remember what year but I do remember it was 210$ urea.:D
Many moons ago.;)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
according to FNA rep Monsanto is going to drop their round up prices and try to kill FNA sales.... FNA must be doing something right if that is the case

·
Registered
152 Posts
The more competition the better, if the FNA is there to keep the other companies in line then I'll buy a membership just for that reason.

·
Registered
197 Posts
What's not to like?

I would go as far as to say that I would actually support a mandatory FNA check off. They've done more for my farm than any farm lobby group ever has. As far as I am concerned one should be ashamed of themselves if they are not a member because you ARE reaping the benefits of them whether you are paying them or not.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The more competition the better, if the FNA is there to keep the other companies in line then I'll buy a membership just for that reason.
That's the way I used to look at it and still agree to a point. But this year I got into a discussion with the sales guy and ended up not renewing my membership for the first time since early ground level. Guess what no annoying phone calls about renewing or the sales pitch anymore. You guys keep up the good work:D

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Short on time yesterday, but wanted to say:

We can all buy memberships to support FNA, but if all they have is memberships and no sales, they won't be around for much longer. While they might not make any money on the actual sales of products, if nobody buys anything their product suppliers will dry up and effectively put FNA out of business.

I try and buy about $10,000 - $20,000/year of stuff through them. Where else can you buy old school Horizon herbicide for less then $10/ acre? They still have merit in todays agriculture and I will continue to support them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts