The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I went on a bit of a crop tour (road trip) down Highway #3 to Winkler, MB for a pick up, across the border, to Neche, ND for another pick up, & back across at Gretna, MB. On the way home I noticed a few winter wheat fields that had a lot of green patches in them. I know that it was a very tough winter on the crop & a lot of fields that didn't make it were sprayed out & seeded to a spring crop. Some fields that weren't too bad were left & have some bare patches in them. These fields here have areas of thick growth that is way less advanced than the rest of the field. Most of the green patches seem to be along the ditch at the headland. Did this stuff not germinate last fall & just started to grow this spring?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello SWMan
So how do you harvest that? Winter wheat looks like it might be 1 or 2 weeks away (just judging by the colour) & the green is got a lot longer than that. Looks like it'd be a bit of a nightmare to harvest. Don't want to cut any of the green with the ripe wheat, & leave some of the ripe wheat & it'll be sprouted after getting a few rains on it by the time the green wheat is ready to cut.:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
Hello SWMan
So how do you harvest that? Winter wheat looks like it might be 1 or 2 weeks away (just judging by the colour) & the green is got a lot longer than that. Looks like it'd be a bit of a nightmare to harvest. Don't want to cut any of the green with the ripe wheat, & leave some of the ripe wheat & it'll be sprouted after getting a few rains on it by the time the green wheat is ready to cut.:confused:
Those are fairly large areas so they might be worth cutting around and waiting for. Anytime I had winterkill it was usually just hilltops or lowspots and the spring wheat was more of a weed-control thing. I just swathed it with the rest of the field and chopped it up with the combines....doubt there was much in those heads.

·
Registered
313 Posts
We had to do some headlands like that as well and it's really no big deal. Just leave them out and combine when you do your spring wheat. I can see how it would suck for custom harvesters that are there to finish a field and move on though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.