The Combine Forum banner

Whats the use of my yard worth??

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  AnviL 
#1 ·
I have developed a friendship with a farmer in Australia over the last few years.
What he does is buy John Deere air seeders here used, and clean them up enough to get through port inspections. [Which is a very high standard] and break them down enough to fit in a sea can.

Anyway. Last summer he was here with a friend and we made the deal that he could use my yard along with my tools, a old hyster forklift, an old Chevy truck [for transportation to the hotel they were staying at]
I myself didnt help, the two of them pretty much did the whole thing in their own.

They also used my dad's payloader with forks and his hotsy pressure washer [put like 30+ hrs on it!]

He wants to settle up for the use of my yard, tools and equipment... what's an incredibly fair price?
He insists on my putting some dollar value on it since it's somewhat of a side business for him and he is making money on his end.

Also to make things more complicated he purchased a 1/2" and 3/4" drive Milwaukee cordless impact wrenches to leave here [ I offered up half the cost of them (about $1200)]
Plus one seeder had a NH3 kit which he said I could have because apparently they have no use for it in Aus.
And he left all the carbide openers behind from a couple seeders because they're not worth the effort of cleaning.

Has anyone rented out some outdoor space for someone to use with tools etc?
A daily value tools, space, truck and forklift?

Dad already figured a value for the payloader and pressure washer.
Thanks.

See less See more
#5 ·
That's a tough one, easy to put a price on machinery and washer but the use of the yard is a tricky one. I would maybe just bill him the machine and washer for your dad, you made out pretty good on the tools and parts he left. Maybe some gas for your truck. Unless he is making a mess of your yard and being a nuisance? He might be the kind of guy it would be handy to be friends with, can probably find you equipment and such that you need at a good price.

#6 ·
Thanks... he is not a nuisance. We have become friends.
He will be back next year [theres 3 John deere carts in my back yard waiting for him to send to Aus.]
He put gas in the truck while he drove it...

If was a one time thing it's one thing, I wouldn't think of asking for money.

The thing is, is that he somewhat insists on being fair, in that it's a business for him, he is making money on his end and since I'm part of that operation feels I should be compensated. I believe it also helps him to know what his costs are so he knows what he can spend on the equipment here.

Last year he did all the work at a business a few miles away... and I believe was charged a healthy hourly rate there... hense coming back to my place.

Year before that was the first year I met him he did a seeder at my place and hired me and one of my friends at a very decent mechanics hourly wage.

I dunno. Like I dont want to be greedy... I've been putting this off since summer... he has called a couple times to chat and e mailed me the other day wondering if I've figured anything out.....

#8 ·
If he’s insisting on paying you something.
Can you get a/some quotes to do something similar to what he did in an industrial estate/commercial business and then make it 50-70% of that quoted figure?

After that (if you want) adjust it to consider the price of the openers and NH3 kit you’ve also gained?
It may net out close to zero (if that’s what you’re wanting); or have it as a nominal amount afterwards

#10 ·
An old friend and landowner that i used to rent land from had a great way of doing business with me. He would write down a price he thought was fair and I would do the same. We would then compare #'s and settle halfway. Most of the time my number was higher than his! Unfortunately he is no longer with us, but this was a way to bargain a friendly deal that makes it honest and fair for both parties. Make sure the equipment he has left for you is taken into account. The impact wrenches shouldn't be in the equation in my mind though because he is coming back and going to use them again.
Just my 2 cents....hope it helps

Rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.